Advice for Venice in early November

Worldtraveler 4727

I would appreciate a bit of advice from anyone in the CC family please

(Hank, are you there? :)

1. Most economical way from hotel at St Mark's Sq to airport for a Sunday 1:20pm flight

2. Amount of travel time that should be allowed for the above

3. multi-day Vaporetto passses: buy in Venice (best place?) or buy online before arriving and validate there?

4. Vaporetto vs Alilaguna. Is one better than another for getting certain places in and around Venice?

5. I understand the Vaporetto is the most economical way to experience the canals in Venice, but is there a "boat company" that has great tour someone has used?

Thanks in advance. (what would we do without CC?)

Yep, am lurking this fine Sunday :). The most economical way to the airport would be to use the Alilaguna, but you need to allow about 1:20 for that boat ride (you can check their schedules online or at your hotel). Just be prepared for a bit of a hike (with your luggage) from hotel to pier and pier to airport terminal. Another option is to take the vaporetto (#1 or #2 lines) from St Marks to the Piazale Roma where you can catch the express ATVO bus out to the airport. This might be a little faster depending on connections. One other possibility is that your hotel's Concierge might organize a private water taxi that can take a group from your hotel to the airport. This is a great option if the Concierge happens to have a few folks that want to go to the airport at the same time. The water taxis are very expensive but if you can split the cost among a few couples it is worth the cost in terms or convenience and the fun/romantic factor. So the day before you are checking-out of your hotel (or earlier) you can simply ask the Concierge if he/she is planning anything out to the airport. Never hurts to ask and the other options are still there if necessary.

As to Vaporetto passes, you can purchase them out of vending machines at just about any stop. Many stops also sell passes at ticket windows (very true for both P. Roma and St Marks Sq). The machines do offer English instructions and take cash (Euros) or credit cards (must have Chips and perhaps PIN). When you get a vaporetto pass (you can buy single trip, 1 day, 2 day, etc) there are two validation possibilities. If you buy them from a vending machine you simply swipe them at the entrance to the vaporetto queue and you should get a green light. The first time you swipe will activate the card and you need to swipe every time you use it (and you should always get a green light). But if you purchase a pass at a ticket window the clerk may or may not validate it for you at the time you purchase. Since the procedure to use the card and validate it are the same, it does not matter whether the clerk validates it....but keep in mind that the usage clock (for the pass) starts from the moment of validation.

As to the Alilaguna, we never use these boats for anything other then the airport. Keep in mind that a vaporetto ticket is not valid for use on the Alilaguna. Once in Venice there are many more vaporetto boats and routes and they can take you anywhere including all the islands (Burano, Murano, Lido, etc) in the Lagoon.

We have never taken any kind of boat tour so cannot comment about various options. But the ACTV company (who runs the vaporettos) did start a tour boat that apparently does primarily the Grand Canal. Not sure if this still exists, but personally would not bother. If you want a great tour around the entire island just get on a #1 or #2 vaporetto and ride as long as you please. If you get really lucky and can get a seat in the front (this happened to use one time) you will have the best tour in all of Venice :).

If you want to experience some of the smaller internal canals you will need to take a Gondola and this is going to cost you about 100€ (for an entire gondola). We always suggest that anyone taking a Gondola consider buying a nice bottle of Italian vino, having the shop pull the cork and give/sell you some plastic cups, and then sip the wine as you glide through the canals on your own Gondola. Do not get roped into booking a Gondola Tour where you will probably pay the same or more and find yourself crammed into a Gondola with 2-4 other folks.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Thank you, Hank. I was hoping you'd see my post. :) Your advice is always so thorough. Much appreciated!

Anyone who has experience with a boat tour company, please weigh in.

tour-Italy.com has one where they advertise the following starting at 46E pp:

On all our Venice boat tours you'll travel in a luxurious motor-launch, limited to a maximum of 8/9 participants so that we should be able to guarantee that everyone sits outside to enjoy an intimate experience of the waterways of Venice while listening to the detailed commentary of your expert Venice tour guide.

In the first part of these small group Venice boat tours cruise down the Grand Canal at a relaxed pace with numerous photo opportunities as your friendly and knowledgeable guide introduce you to the splendid Palaces, Churches, Bridges and other Monumental buildings that line the main waterway of Venice. Learn the history and evolution of the main street of Venice, and be entertained by anecdotes about the famous and infamous people that once lived along this celebrated waterway.

In the second part of these marvellous sightseeing tours of Venice sit back and enjoy a delightful journey through the minor canals of Venice. In the hidden Venice, as you travel through four of the city districts of Venice you'll get a full overview of the city and enjoy picture postcard views of the most romantic parts of the city. These small group Venice boat tours start & finish at St. Marks square.

Has anyone taking this or a similar one?

(Your opinion, Hank?)

Thanks,

Kathy

Of course Hank is spot on regarding your various transportation options, so I won't repeat what he said.

As to the boat tour, Rick Steves has a free downloadable mp3 tour that is geared toward a ride on the #1 vaporetto. In November, it won't b so crowded and perhaps you can nab spots at the front of the boat, where it is open and you have a clear view. (You may have to await your opportunity by keeping an eye on folks departing....)

I am not much of a fan of tours in general, especially for things like this where there is readily available information. I'd be more likely to pay for a good guide in an art museum or specific location where I wanted to get detailed information about what I'd be seeing.

the ACTV company (who runs the vaporettos) did start a tour boat that apparently does primarily the Grand Canal. Not sure if this still exists

That was the Vaporetto dell’Arte service, but it was discontinued. We did the Rick Steves audio in May on the #1 line, and it was fine.

Not surprised that the somewhat pricy Vaporetto dell’Arte boat was stopped (after a relatively short time). I will offer my opinion (since asked) with the caveat that others may well disagree. We just do not see any purpose to taking a private boat tour (especially one that spends most of its time on the Grand Canal)! Part of the fun of Venice is riding on the Vaporettos, and using the #1 and/or #2 line will get you all the way around the island in the crazy but fun atmosphere of vaporettos. And you might want to consider that for the price of that private tour you could hire your own Gondola for a 40-45 min tour through some of the smaller canals. And for the OP we should mention that if you walk to out to the Giudecca Canal (this is the canal that runs in front of St Marks Square) and turn towards your right you will see a Gondola docking area.

To be real blunt, I would have a problem paying nearly 100€ a couple to be in a powered boat where somebody reads (or plays a recording) of building descriptions. While the history might be interesting, the real charm of Venice is just sitting back, enjoying the fabulous atmosphere, smells, People watching, etc. It is one very touristy city that lives up to its reputation (as long as the weather cooperates) as do some other Italian cities such as Florence. Despite numerous visits to Venice (and all over Italy) DW and I have never tired of this country. So much to see, plenty to do, lots of food to eat, etc. etc.

Hank

Thanks to all!

The multi-day pass on the Vaporetto it is.

And speaking of weather, any advice/experience on the acqua alta in Venice the first week in November?

We carefully avoided this topic since there is nothing you can do if the weather and/or flooding is lousy. But that is the time of the year of most risk for flooding, in which case Venice is not the nicest place to be walking around. The Venetians are used to the flooding and life goes on, with the help of wooden platforms used to raise some of the walkways (so you are not walking ankle deep in water. Other then bringing suitable clothes (and shoes) for rain there is not much you can do to prepare.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

If this is your first visit to Venice, it may be disappointing to expect gray weather and acqua alta, but it is really a quintessential Venetian experience. Embrace it! (Personally, I'd like to experience it, but then I've been to Venice several times in nice weather....:o)

Not all areas of the city are flooded when this occurs, and it is also sporadic. As Hank says, Venice is prepared for these events with board walkways, etc.

I'd just make sure you have some kind of waterproof shoes, a good lightweight but impermeable rain jacket, and a purse or bag (if you carry one) that is also truly waterproof. Other than that, you just have to "go with the flow...."

P.S. The weather isn't universally bad in November. My parents were there in early November a couple of years ago and -- although they came prepared for the worst -- they had lovely weather. No rain, no flooding.

Highly probable there will be flooding, to what extent is anyone's guess. It can be from 3 inches in San Marco, to waist high water.

Do a google search and you will see folks practically swimming in San Marco.

While they do have boardwalks, if it is really bad, the water is even over those.

Walking and sightseeing in the pouring rain is NOT FUN! We arrived back to our hotel each day soaked. And even though we both took hot showers and put on socks, and took our Airborne, we both came home 4 days later sick.

The rain and wind was so bad the one day, that the vaporetto to Burano was totally cancelled. We did make it to Murano, but the engine on that vaporetto was really straining on the return trip across the lagoon.

So as others have said, try to prepare for the worst, and be pleasantly surprised if it is nice.

We just do not see any purpose to taking a private boat tour (especially one that spends most of its time on the Grand Canal)!

Hank

We are also looking for a private boat tour around the Grand Canal and some outer islands. We boat on Lake Michigan and love the water and exploring new ports around the great lakes by boat so finding a private boat is important to us. We'd rather be boating around than visiting a museum where you are rushed by people standing behind you or us waiting for someone that is taking forever to look at something. I dislike crowds and it's worth the extra money to have a private tour.

I'm sure we will end up using the Vaporetto but would prefer not to be in a crowded boat. Seems like just when I get a good shot, someone stands up or waves an arm and I'm tired of getting pictures that I need to delete and missing out on good ones. We have not had good experiences on big tour buses and hope to avoid them.

Hank, do appreciate your suggestions and will keep them in the back of my mind. Hopefully we will have time to explore but both foot and boat.

We are also looking for a private boat tour around the Grand Canal and some outer islands. We boat on Lake Michigan and love the water and exploring new ports around the great lakes by boat so finding a private boat is important to us. We'd rather be boating around than visiting a museum where you are rushed by people standing behind you or us waiting for someone that is taking forever to look at something. I dislike crowds and it's worth the extra money to have a private tour.

I'm sure we will end up using the Vaporetto but would prefer not to be in a crowded boat. Seems like just when I get a good shot, someone stands up or waves an arm and I'm tired of getting pictures that I need to delete and missing out on good ones. We have not had good experiences on big tour buses and hope to avoid them.

Hank, do appreciate your suggestions and will keep them in the back of my mind. Hopefully we will have time to explore but both foot and boat.

Given the amount of traffic made up of boats of all sizes on the canals, I'd think it highly likely that at any given moment on a smaller boat, some other boat could easily come speeding past between you and the object you are trying to photograph. It's amazing all the traffic that constantly plies the canals from larger working barges, vaporetto and other transportation to private water taxis and launches, gondolas, police and fire boats, etc.