Passport turn around time?

crazycruzer68

Mine expired in March and I have two trips planned, one starting Friday. I mailed my renewal application on July 5th. I received my new passport (standard service) by the end of July. Did not pay for any expedited service. You should be fine.

18 days from mailing to receipt of passports for 2 minors (first application). This was late June to July with Standard processing times/fees. Paperwork was prepared online, printed, and brought to a USPS location for completion.

Edited by airboss

If you applied, but have not yet received your passport you might want to check this out and make the call.

Important Notice to Applicants

Due to high volume and systems issues, approximately 3.8% of passport applications received between June 5 and July 15 are experiencing processing times beyond the normal 4-6 week timeframe for routine applications.

If you applied for your passport before July 1 and have not received it, and you are traveling in the next 2 weeks, please contact the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 for assistance.

We apologize for the inconvenience and are working hard to process all passport applications within the stated timeframes.

We have a last minute add on to our Oct. 4th cruise. Any chance of getting a new passport before then?

There is a thread over on the First Time Cruiser's board titled "for those curious about passport turnaround times" that you can check for some up to date information. I think if he applied now he would probably receive it before 10/4 and if he pays for expedited processing almost assuredly will have it before than.

DH received his renewed passport in 6 weeks + 2 days. It was sent to the Philadelphia passport center.

I personally believe that where the passport is routed has an impact on turn around time.

So, my advice is to believe the 4-6 week turn around and plan accordingly. If it were me, I would apply with expedited service.

Good luck and I hope he gets the passport before you cruise.

You don't say where you live, but on the off chance you are UK based. I renewed mine online in June and they were back within two weeks. Much quicker if you are just renewing and don't have to send off documents it can be quite quick.