Cruise Insurance - How Does It Compare?

Pilot70D

Today I read an article in the Travel Section on MSN. The article highlighted a family that cancelled a Disney cruise after a flood with several tragic drownings struck their neighborhood. Initially they were unable to get any refund because of the last minute cancellation. The article went on to state that most cruise lines are very inflexible and in most cases are unwilling to give exceptions to their cancellation policies and that buying cruise insurance is one way of preventing this sort of loss.

OK, we have always purchased cancellation insurance for all of our cruises and thankfully have never had to use this insurance but it did start me to wondering. Here is my question (and it affects many of us): How does the cruise insurance offered by Celebrity stack up against that offered by independent sources?

Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated.

:):):):)

Edited by Pilot70D

All insurance companies stick to the fine print in their contracts without exception. I agree see the cruise insurance discussion for more info....because there is much more to be concerned about than cancellation insurance...for example medical and evacuation which are, IMHO, woefully inadequate on the Celebrity Policy.

See you in the Insurance discussion...

Edited by ghstudio

We've always used Celebrity's insurance and once had a claim that was very easy to resolve. What it didn't cover well was the change fees and extra air line costs to fly home and my time & expenses in a hotel while DH was in the hospital from the departure port. It will also cover pre existing conditions and allow cancellation for any reason with a 75% credit on a future cruise. It did pay our health insurance deductible costs.

On our September cruise we opted to purchase insurance from a 3rd party. It will not cover pre existing conditions (we had none when purchased), or cancel for any reason. The medical seems better since we are now retired and on Medicare.

Going forward from September, we'll probably have to stick with the cruise line insurance since I've developed a back problem which might be considered pre existing for our March 2016 cruise.

1. Celebrity insurance is based no the cost of the cruise, not the age of the passenger as is most other travel insurance. My parents are late 80s, and the X insurance so much more affordable. 2. X insurance covers independently booked air. 3. X insurance allows a credit of 75% of cruise cost if cancelled for a NON-covered reason.

1. Celebrity insurance is based no the cost of the cruise, not the age of the passenger as is most other travel insurance. My parents are late 80s, and the X insurance so much more affordable. 2. X insurance covers independently booked air. 3. X insurance allows a credit of 75% of cruise cost if cancelled for a NON-covered reason.

It was our experience that independently booked air was not covered in full. We paid substantially more to fly from the departure port to home once my DH was released from the hospital, plus the fee to change our flights. We got very little back from the insurance company. The insurance company had a complex formula that, even with my accounting and management degrees I could not figure out. This was in 2012.

We now have a credit card that we use for flights that covers the cost in the event our trip has to be cancelled.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

There are several third party insurance carriers that cover pre existing conditions if they are purchase within 21 days of making your deposit. They do cost a little more but you can select the amount of coverage you want. The cost is based on your trip and your age.

It was our experience that independently booked air was not covered in full. We paid substantially more to fly from the departure port to home once my DH was released from the hospital, plus the fee to change our flights. We got very little back from the insurance company. The insurance company had a complex formula that, even with my accounting and management degrees I could not figure out. This was in 2012.

We now have a credit card that we use for flights that covers the cost in the event our trip has to be cancelled.

Do you mind sharing what type of credit card you use? ;);)

We have a United Airlines affinity card through Chase. There is an annual fee but 1 round trip with free luggage covers the fee. Also gives us an annual pass to the United Club Lounge which was great when we had a 7 hour layover in Chicago. I've never had to cancel a flight booked with this card so I don't know if it would be any better than the insurance.

We did get some reimbursement from the Celebrity travel insurance when we had to change our return flight, but it was very little. There is a limit on what they pay & it is based on the original cost of the flight. Since we booked the flight 10 months in advance the price was low. Changing the flight the day before we could come home costs us an additional $600. We got back maybe $150. It was nice though because it paid our medical deductible.

Our 2016 & 2017 cruises have been booked for quite a while now so independent insurance is probably not going to work because of pre existing condition.

We have a United Airlines affinity card through Chase. There is an annual fee but 1 round trip with free luggage covers the fee. Also gives us an annual pass to the United Club Lounge which was great when we had a 7 hour layover in Chicago. I've never had to cancel a flight booked with this card so I don't know if it would be any better than the insurance.

I have the UA cards. One thing to be wary of, is they often require that all expenses be paid in full with the card if they are to be covered expenses, even deposits. So watch the fine print for sure, and follow to the "T".

I was just trying to see the coverage limits of the card, but it didn't state the value of the medical evacuation coverage offered. It does allow for 10k for travel related costs.

Anyone have a link to the UA card actual T&C's? Some links I find actually say they don't cover the costs of emergency evacuation, they just help you arrange it, and in big bold letters state YOU AE RESPONSIBLE FOR ARRANGING PAYMENT. But I haven't found specific linage for the United card...

That's a good point about using the card for all expenses if you are using the cards travel insurance. I thought I had read that someplace before. ;) I was telling my husband that last night.

If we switch cards, we already have some cruise deposits and travel insurance on our Visa card. We do plan to keep the Visa card, but stop using it and put the final payments on the new card to rack up that 3 month spending requirement to get those extra bonus miles.

We did not plan to use the AA card for travel insurance (unless they offer something outstanding) and will purchase travel insurance such as TravelGuard. Do you know if we would have any problem with collecting from a travel insurance provider like TravelGuard if we have payments and trip expenses on two different credit cards? I wouldn't think so. :confused:

Today I read an article in the Travel Section on MSN. The article highlighted a family that cancelled a Disney cruise after a flood with several tragic drownings struck their neighborhood. Initially they were unable to get any refund because of the last minute cancellation. The article went on to state that most cruise lines are very inflexible and in most cases are unwilling to give exceptions to their cancellation policies and that buying cruise insurance is one way of preventing this sort of loss.

OK, we have always purchased cancellation insurance for all of our cruises and thankfully have never had to use this insurance but it did start me to wondering. Here is my question (and it affects many of us): How does the cruise insurance offered by Celebrity stack up against that offered by independent sources?

Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated.

:):):):)

All cruise lines have emergency airvac around $30K, private is much better & usually cheaper, get mine military USAA. We are in our mid 70's & this is MOST important to us.

I have the UA cards. One thing to be wary of, is they often require that all expenses be paid in full with the card if they are to be covered expenses, even deposits. So watch the fine print for sure, and follow to the "T".

I was just trying to see the coverage limits of the card, but it didn't state the value of the medical evacuation coverage offered. It does allow for 10k for travel related costs.

Anyone have a link to the UA card actual T&C's? Some links I find actually say they don't cover the costs of emergency evacuation, they just help you arrange it, and in big bold letters state YOU AE RESPONSIBLE FOR ARRANGING PAYMENT. But I haven't found specific linage for the United card...

I just went through Chase's Guide to Travel and Protection Benefits that they sent us and no where did I find that they cover medical evacuation. The Travel and Emergency Assistance Services "provides assistance and referral only. You are responsible for the cost of any actual medical, legal, transportation, cash advance, or other services or goods provided."

I just went through Chase's Guide to Travel and Protection Benefits that they sent us and no where did I find that they cover medical evacuation. The Travel and Emergency Assistance Services "provides assistance and referral only. You are responsible for the cost of any actual medical, legal, transportation, cash advance, or other services or goods provided."

Did you find the small print detailed descriptions or just the marketing page?

In the marketing materials I found this when iii open up the Travel Protection Link.

Emergency Evacuation & Transportation

If you or a member of your immediate family are injured or become sick during a trip far from home that results in an emergency evacuation, you can be covered for medical services and transportation.

I am hoping to find the details relative to this clause, which I have to assume is literally just making a phone call, as for the $399 per year fee, why would they offer such high benefits (at least $200 of the fee goes to United Club enrollment).

I just wanted you to know Mary Lou that CSA does provide insurance for pre-existing conditions as long as you get the insurance within 24 hours of making final payment. It's their Custom Luxe policy, which costs a bit more than their regular policy. Maybe this will help you!

Leslie