Dolphin Mini Suites

soudersmes

Good Afternoon,

We are booked on the Crown Princess in a mini suite on the Dolphin deck. I was worried about the noise on the Emerald deck so I went with the Dolphin deck. Now I'm reading all these negative reviews/quotes about the balcony being so public and open. So, did I waster a lot of money getting a mini suite that is so open. On previous cruises I've seen people on their balconies.

So any information would be appreciated. We are stuck in this room since we will be leaving in October.

Thanks...Margaret

Yes they are open to the decks above you, but it has never ruined my enjoyment of the balcony.

The only time is feels weird is when the person on the Emerald deck in the cabin directly above you is on their balcony, and that is probably more awkward for them than for you.

The mini-suite is great, don't let the balcony openness be a problem.

I have had Dolphin Deck minis many times and have NEVER felt uncomfortable on the balcony. The balconies above you on Caribe Deck are far enough back that somebody sitting on their balcony will not even see you; they would have to actually walk to the railing and look down--which occasionally happens; but people are looking to see the ocean, not you.

I've had covered and uncovered minisuites. My first choice is for a completely covered mini on the Emerald Deck due to skin cancer on both my husband and me. However, depending on the time of day, there is shade on Dolphin Deck minis also.

As to privacy, I wouldn't worry about it. Those above you don't have any real privacy either because you can look up and see everyone on their decks Besides, when I'm on one of those balconies, the last thing I'm looking at is what the people on Dolphin Deck are doing.

This is a picture I took looking up from a Dolphin Deck balcony. The man in the picture is on Baja Deck. So you can see how little privacy they have if someone chooses to look up. Enjoy the extra space inside your cabin, the extra space on your balcony and the fact that you can look right out at the water without having to look over any other balconies below.

ry%3D400

When sailing with DH, we always get our mini on Dolphin, because of open deck. We enjoy watching the sky at night and love the totally outside feeling of it. It really is something of a personal preference. We know that some people can see us , but so can they when we are around pools and eating in restaurants. Try it, maybe like for us it will be your favorite, or you will know that you prefer a all or half covered next time. Have a great cruise !

When sailing with DH, we always get our mini on Dolphin, because of open deck. We enjoy watching the sky at night and love the totally outside feeling of it. It really is something of a personal preference. We know that some people can see us , but so can they when we are around pools and eating in restaurants. Try it, maybe like for us it will be your favorite, or you will know that you prefer a all or half covered next time. Have a great cruise !

This is us to the letter. We intentionally choose the uncovered Dolphin Deck cabins due to the unobstructed views. Other people do not pay to be on cruises just so that they can stare at people on their balconies. One of the benefits of the Caribe Deck balconies that many enjoy is the "half-covered" option. But if those people are sitting in the covered portion, they cannot see the people below them. Also, (and this is key), because of the partitions between the cabins, there is limited lateral viewing. That means that the only people who can see down on to your balcony, (assuming that they are standing at their rail), are the cabins directly above you and about two or three on either side. It is not as if 3500 people can look at your balcony.

Add us to the list of those who love the Dolphin mini's. They're covered about half way, so you can always sit in the shade and have no one observe you. It's only if you're standing at the rail that anyone can see you and, really, we don't care. We had some nice conversations with people on both sides of us as well as above us when entering and leaving ports. In Papeete, we were also able to observe some fascinating loading of food and other supplies right on the edge of the dock, which people on the upper decks couldn't see. We'd book one again without hesitation.

Another dolphin-lover here! We were nervous as well, but found it to be more secluded that we had expected and those above us were equally exposed (people! secure those robes and sun-dresses!). Rarely do we look up but if anyone is actually at the railing looking down, we smile. My smile is usually bigger because I can look directly down into the water for a much better view than they have (ah, my dolphin and Dahl's porpoise signtings in Alaska!). Enjoy your mini and time on the balcony!

Edited by LoriPhil

Add us to the list of those who love the Dolphin mini's. They're covered about half way, so you can always sit in the shade and have no one observe you. .

Just to be clear Dolphin Deck, deck 9, mini suites on the Crown Princess are not "covered half way." There is no cover above the balcony, but there can be shade from the ship depending on the direction of travel. Having stayed in the Caribe deck, deck 10, balcony cabins on grand class ships many times I can say for certain that you can not look down onto the Dolphin deck balconies while seated. You can only look down while standing against the railing, something most passengers only do during sail away times. If you wish to have the interior comfort and extra space of a mini suite on the Crown Princess you either have to have the 9'x6' open balcony or be one of the few that are in the 12 mini suites on the Emerald Deck, deck 8 aft, that have the covered balconies. There are no other options for mini suites on the Crown than those on decks 9 and 8.

Add us to the list of those who love the Dolphin mini's. They're covered about half way, so you can always sit in the shade and have no one observe you. It's only if you're standing at the rail that anyone can see you and, really, we don't care. We had some nice conversations with people on both sides of us as well as above us when entering and leaving ports. In Papeete, we were also able to observe some fascinating loading of food and other supplies right on the edge of the dock, which people on the upper decks couldn't see. We'd book one again without hesitation.

Think you may be referring to Caribe regular balcony cabins. :)

Our first cruise was in a Dolphin mini and we had done no research.

We had no problem with it being uncovered. Never felt uncomfortable.

People don't hang around and stare at you from their decks and we never did anything on the deck that we would be ashamed of.

However, there is no covering and so it can get plenty of sun at different times of the day. If that bothers you then seek another cabin.

We love Dolphin balconies! So much so that we have one booked for our cruise next week. Yes someone could look down onto your balcony, but it is rare that we even see people outside so it has never been an issue. We had a covered balcony once and didn't like it. We prefer the sunshine and open air feeling of the dolphin balconies. Enjoy!

We had one on the Ruby and will never do that again! We like to have breakfast on the balcony and the lack of privacy made it uncomfortable!

We had one on the Ruby (and the Grand) and the fact that someone could see us made no difference to us whatever!! It wasn't like we were topless or naked or in a sexy negligee ! :eek: I went out in my robe or out in my PJ's...it was no biggie!

They can look down on my and be as jealous as can be because I am in a Mini and they aren't! LOL! ;):D

Edited by suzyed

Thanks everyone for your comments. It's comforting to know from those of you who are experienced Dolphin travelers. I like the comment that you can see the stars at night. That is a problem when you have a covered balcony.

I'll just enjoy my mini suite and the extra room on the balcony. Yes, the worst that someone would see is me in my pjs. Fair warning :)

I really appreciate your comments and it's great to have such a forum like this to ask questions...Margaret

• 1 year later...

At the moment, we are booked in the coveted Mini E731 on Emerald Deck on the Emerald Princess That is the mini with the larger balcony and is fully covered.

My dilemma is whether to move up to a Dolphin Mini to receive the extras for Club Class as those cabins are all on Dolphin Deck.

We are doing a very warm weather cruise in January (our summer) and I am trying to find out if there is any covering at all for the balcony when on Dolphin deck. It there is some shade that is fine, but if it is all out in the open, then we will not be able to change as our sun is so strong at that time of the year and we certainly do not want to suffer any skin damage that could occur from not having covering at some time of the day.

Can someone help me with a plan of or knowledge of the Emerald's Dolphn Deck mini's

Jennie

At the moment, we are booked in the coveted Mini E731 on Emerald Deck on the Emerald Princess That is the mini with the larger balcony and is fully covered.

My dilemma is whether to move up to a Dolphin Mini to receive the extras for Club Class as those cabins are all on Dolphin Deck.

We are doing a very warm weather cruise in January (our summer) and I am trying to find out if there is any covering at all for the balcony when on Dolphin deck. It there is some shade that is fine, but if it is all out in the open, then we will not be able to change as our sun is so strong at that time of the year and we certainly do not want to suffer any skin damage that could occur from not having covering at some time of the day.

Can someone help me with a plan of or knowledge of the Emerald's Dolphn Deck mini's

Jennie

Depending upon the direction of travel the balcony may be shaded by the ship. If you have a cruise that primarily travels east or west you could pick a cabin facing north and have shade most of the time or a south facing cabin and have sun most of the time. On a round trip from LA to Hawaii you would have shade one direction and sun the other. On a cruise that primarily goes north or south you will have shade for about half of each day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The cruise is one cruising north to the Pacific Islands and then returning south back to our starting port of Sydney. As it is a Pacific Cruise it will be very warm.

Therefore if we have a Starboard mini, we will have the sun in the morning going north (facing east) but it will be sunny in the afternoon on the way back (facing west) which will be extremely hot. It will work the opposite way if we take a Port mini. Then of course it could be raining as it is that time of the year when those islands have their cyclones.

I am now tossing up whether it is worth our while to pay the small amount extra to be in a Club Class Mini. Has anyone had this experience?

Jennie