Pre paid gratuities

We have booked on Indy next year and as part of the package we have got pre paid gratuities. I asked our TA how does that work ? They said that all tips are paid for, from the cabin steward to the amount added on for drinks. I said do we have vouchers to distribute to the members of staff, based on who impressed us the most. The TA said no, RCI do that on our behalf. It works out about $160 per person. I just wondered how do they do that ?

We have booked on Indy next year and as part of the package we have got pre paid gratuities. I asked our TA how does that work ? They said that all tips are paid for, from the cabin steward to the amount added on for drinks. I said do we have vouchers to distribute to the members of staff, based on who impressed us the most. The TA said no, RCI do that on our behalf. It works out about $160 per person. I just wondered how do they do that ?

Did you purchase a drink package? That is the only way I'm familiar with that you could prepay your gratuities on drinks.

Are you on a 12 night cruise? That's the only way gratuities could be that price.

In general, prepaid gratuities include cabin attendant, waiters, assistant waiters, etc.. They do not include tips for drinks.

not exactly.

prepaid grats include the cabin steward and all meals in included venues.

alcoholic drinks and specialty coffee tips ARE NOT included unless you also have a drinks package.

no Royal does not give out envelopes or vouchers any longer but the staff IS told who has pre paid as well as who has had the tips removed.

you of course are permitted to give over and above directly if you want to.

there is also something called a WOW card. you should get 3 per cabin at embarkation. you cannot get any more than that so use them wisely.

not exactly.

prepaid grats include the cabin steward and all meals in included venues.

alcoholic drinks and specialty coffee tips ARE NOT included unless you also have a drinks package.

no Royal does not give out envelopes or vouchers any longer but the staff IS told who has pre paid as well as who has had the tips removed.

you of course are permitted to give over and above directly if you want to.

there is also something called a WOW card. you should get 3 per cabin at embarkation. you cannot get any more than that so use them wisely.

What's a WOW card ?

Prepaid gratuities include your cabin steward, waiter, assistant waiter, maitre de. Drink packages have the 18% gratuity added on. You may give any staff member an additional gratuity if you wish. If you order a drink that is not part of the package there will be an automatic gratuity added.

Envelopes are provided on some sailings for any additional tips.

Tips that you have not paid, and should plan for, include room service and if you have access to the diamond or concierge lounge the bartenders in there. Also many people tip the concierge if you use their services. I do not have small children but I have read that people tip the adventure ocean staff.

Edited by Grandma Dazzles

But do RCI use a formula for giving the gratuities to the staff ? Just wondered if say the cabin steward got say 10%, and assistant waiter gets 15% and so on

yes they do. somewhere there is a breakdown of who gets what. rest assured that it has been deemed fair by all involved. no one would return for multiple contracts if they did not feel they were fairly compensated.

But do RCI use a formula for giving the gratuities to the staff ? Just wondered if say the cabin steward got say 10%, and assistant waiter gets 15% and so on

Dining & Culinary Services: $7.75 USD

Stateroom Attendant: $3.85 USD OR Suite Attendant: $6.10 USD

Other Housekeeping Services: $1.35 USD OR Housekeeping and Suite Services: $2.10 USD

The above figures are per person, per day...so they get the same thing if it's pre-paid as if you were giving the suggested amount out of your pocket.

On drink packages, the tips are included in the price. You will still pay tips on anything NOT included in the package.

Edited by cb at sea

What's a WOW card ?

It's a card you can give to crewmembers to reward them for excellent service. Supposedly, they can turn these in for perks. However, most crewmembers we talk to would rather be mentioned by name in the post-cruise survey.

Speaking of pre-paid gratuities, If you choose MTD now-have they stopped the mandatory pre-paying?? I thought i read that a while back.??

Yes, pre-paid gratuities are no longer required for MTD. You can have them removed if you like.

Speaking of pre-paid gratuities, If you choose MTD now-have they stopped the mandatory pre-paying?? I thought i read that a while back.??
If you haven't prepaid them, they will be charged to your cabin on a daily basis. It is now $12.95/person/day. (Somewhat higher in suites, but I don't remember exactly.)

It's a card you can give to crewmembers to reward them for excellent service. Supposedly, they can turn these in for perks. However, most crewmembers we talk to would rather be mentioned by name in the post-cruise survey.
We usually do both - WOW cards, and mention by name in the survey

I wish the WOW cards had been explained better. They just appeared with no explanation as to what they were or what to do with them. I honestly thought they were envelopes.

Initially I thought we would also get a sheet with tear-off slips that listed the tips to put in what seemed like envelopes (the WOW "cards" I guess...again, I'd swear they were envelopes and not cards) because that's what I'm used to with DCL and tips. But nothing else appeared, so I just left the envelopes/cards in the cabin because I didn't know what to do with them.

I did mention people by name in my survey though. And I will know for next year what the card/envelope things are.