No More First Lunch Aboard at an MDR?

Smokeyham

I once had to present a copy of the Princess press release about the MDR being open on embarkation day before someone at the MDR would allow us to enter.

The person at the door took our copy of the press release and showed it to someone else who gave permission for us to enter.

I am hoping to do embarkation lunch in the MDR for the first time on my upcoming on the Ruby. I have now printed out the pdf from the Princess website listing MDR lunch being available on turnaround days. I see there is an asterisk, though, saying this is "subject to change" :rolleyes:.

Hi, can you please tell me where to print the information re embark day main dining room lunch. We also enjoy starting out 'mellow' and relaxed.

Much appreciated.

sailing 10/24, 10 night on Regal. Repo - Brooklyn - FLL

I tried to do a direct link, but no luck :(. Go to http://www.princess.com, then click on "ships and experience", then "food and dining", then scroll to the bottom for "dining venues details and hours".

Hi, can you please tell me where to print the information re embark day main dining room lunch. We also enjoy starting out 'mellow' and relaxed.

Much appreciated.

sailing 10/24, 10 night on Regal. Repo - Brooklyn - FLL

Check post No. 38 for a link.

Jim

We just cruised on the Star a few weeks ago and the Portofino dining room was open for lunch and listed in the Patter. When we asked as we got on board for directions they were given with no hesitation but they did say they were not sure how long the dining room would be open. There were only 3 tables occupied during the whole short lunch period. I think they use it as a training time for the newest servers as they (at least 4 of them) were totally overwhelmed with the 3 tables. They did have the menu with the avocado and shrimp salad and souffle. The souffle was amazing and one of the best MDR desserts we had but the entrees were all the worst of what we had for the entire cruise. The food tasted like it had been made much earlier and held so it was warm not hot and very dried out. When they served the entree they had us order dessert because the kitchen was going to close (this was at 1:15 and lunch was listed until 1:30) so it's not like we could have ordered a different or fresher entree. We had to have lunch on the ship as our Princess transfer left before lunch time--I think it was 10:30am? I'm sure many others had similar situations with transfers or travel that did not allow them to eat lunch until they boarded the ship.

In case you are turned away at the main dining room, you might want to print a copy of the screenshot from Princess' website to show them. They make quite a point of saying that the MDR is available!

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/dining_nightlife.jsp

In case the URL changes, this is in the FAQs under dining and nightlife, and then under "1st day dining." They say

"Shortly after we welcome you onboard your spectacular Princess ship, you're invited to relax and dine at the Horizon Court or in one of the ship’s multiple dining rooms.

Open from 5 am to 11 pm (12 am on select itineraries), the Horizon Court offers a wide selection of buffet meals or snacks. A primary feature of Princess ships, the top-of-the-ship restaurant features floor-to-ceiling windows with stunning sea views as a backdrop.

Or join us in one of our main dining rooms for lunch served up by a staff -- from chefs to waiters -- dedicated to making your dining experience something special.

Together, Princess' unique combination of gracious dining staff, fine continental cuisine and new friends make every meal onboard a memorable occasion."

Thank you for that link. Very helpful.

Candi

It has been a few years since we had difficulty getting in the main dining room for lunch. I think it was on the Emerald where we had to go through three people trying to steer us to the buffet before finally being allowed in.

My experience has been that there are so few people eating in the MDR that they always seat us at a table for two. On a cruise last year, one of the waiters remarked about us being in-transit passengers. So apparently he had that notion in his mind.

It's normally noon till 1:30 - if boarding is delayed until after 1 PM for any reason they typically will not open except to turnarounds (something I missed on my list above)

We have enjoyed several relaxed embarkation day lunches in the MDR, but I do not remember what the hours of operation were. Does anyone have that information?

Thank you! It has been awhile, but I do remember it being a wonderful way to start the cruise.

You're welcome & it's our favorite way to begin our cruises although we have also gone to Alfredo's Pizzeria particularly on Royal-class ships with the expanded menu. :)

In all my years of cruising Princess, I always believed the staff telling me no MDR's were open.

Anybody know which MDR normally serves embarkation lunch on the Island Princess? Will try out the little secret in December!

TIA!

In all my years of cruising Princess, I always believed the staff telling me no MDR's were open.

Anybody know which MDR normally serves embarkation lunch on the Island Princess? Will try out the little secret in December!

TIA!

There is only 2. Just go to the one thats open and serving tables. ;)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I have had lunch in the MDR a few times. I have never been directed, accosted, cajoled, pushed or otherwise led to the buffet.

As for where to go, check the patter when you get to your room to drop off your stuff.

If the Island is like the Coral, breakfast and lunch are served on deck 6. ATD is served on deck 5 and Traditional is served on deck 6.

October 2014. We did a B2B. First cruise was a nightmare. The second was stunning.

If Princess doesn't want passengers to eat in the MDR on Embarkation day, then quit advertising it!! I know consistency is not Princess long suit but it shouldn't be that difficult.

As far as not spending money on lunch.....we travel 30 minutes from home. We eat in San Francisco very often. I want to start my vacation in a comfortable setting and enjoy one of my favorite meals in the MDR.

Cheers, Denise

Were you able to get lunch in the dining room for either embarkation? Looked at some Patters from June for the Star &embarkation lunch in Dining room was not listed. I've never had a problem on any other ship & would not want to start out on the wrong foot on the Star again.

I'm pretty much in the same line of thinking as you are on this.

I am in the camp, who enjoys lunch in the MDR on the first day... only civilized way to go on board.. I can remember the day when the MDR was the option for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Now days, there are lots options so that is great.

Don't see the reason to deny those who enjoy the MDR this opportunity. We generally fly into a cruise port several days ahead, so we have already had breakfast, lunch and dinner in the port city for several days.

I don't see the big deal of eating lunch in the MDR the first day. It is just like a port day - it should not be open. We board early afternoon after we have had lunch at our hotel's restaurant. Hate crowds and like to just walk on board after the rush is gone. I feel sorry for the poor crew - give some of them one meal that they don't have to work so hard.

I honestly think some people just don't want to shell out the money for lunch. I know they say that day is the first day of their cruise and they paid for lunch so they want to eat it on the ship.

Just my opinion.

Nearly our cruises depart from Sydney and we fly in early that morning. The flight takes less than an hour and a half, and even if there is a delay, we are not at risk of missing the ship. We get a taxi from the airport to the cruise terminal. We wouldn't want to take a taxi to the city just so we could have lunch at a restaurant, accompanied by all our luggage. :D It would be too early to have lunch at the airport. If we went with the 'city-restaurant' option, we would have to get a second taxi from the city to the cruise terminal.

I mention this scenario to point out that different people have differing circumstances and do things in different ways. :D It is not that we don't want to shell out money for lunch.

Our other option is to board the ship then go to the Horizon Court. We have done that a couple of times, but it is very very busy on embarkation day. As others have said, it is very pleasant to start the cruise with a relaxed lunch.

When we went to the dining room last year for our BVE on the Regal, it was packed. On the one side there was a travel group dining, where as everyone else was filling the other half. Being a member of the BVE group, of which we never found (on another thread) we were seated, upon presentation of our BVE letter to the waiter for our "free" glass of wine, he took it, returned gave it back to us and were told to leave, that this dining room was for "real" passengers, didn't say in transit or suite, so what could be do, got up left, went to the other side found a man in a white jacket, handed him the letter, told him what the waiter told us, and said no,no....took us BACK to the original dining room and were re-seated (at another table). Another opportunity Princess seems to have gotten wrong. This year, we WILL be "real" passengers on the Regal, and was thinking about doing the embarkation lunch in the MDR vs the buffet. Now its making me think....should I or shouldn't I..maybe I will print off the web page, just in case.