Cruise from Norfolk VA....Please?

Sea Belle

The port of Norfolk VA is ripe for the taking! The cruise terminal is lovely and there are many people from the states around it who would not have to fly to get there. Years ago we took the trips, as did many others, even though there was no "proper" terminal for boarding. We would love to see those blue hulls docked there again! ;)

If I remember correctly HAL has a ship positioned there, but it didn't seem to work out. I think one of the problems was the lack of direct flights. Most people had to fly into BWI, or one of the DC airports and then take a smaller plane or be bussed to Norfork. Now that the cruise terminals are established in Baltimore (and people love it because it is very, very convenient off 95) I wouldn't think that the cruise lines would be interested in moving anywhere. It is kind of sad as we like going thru Norfork in our travels.

But then again who knows what the future would bring!

In the years when HAL sailed Maasdam from Norfolk, she had a very hard time making it back to port on time. Too many times she was late returning. At that time, there was a new terminal in the planning but it was not yet ready. I would be surprised for HAL to return there for a regular basis.

I hope it's a way off, but Norflok's day may be coming. Baltimore is a great port for now but the number of ships that can get there under the bridges is dwindling. Once the number of those ships dwindles enough, Baltimore, Tampa, and Montreal will likely be ports of the past.

Roy

It has been a few years since I have visited the Tidewater area--a really great place to visit, I might add. So, perhaps the situation at the cruise terminal may have changed. Totally agree from what I saw that the Norfolk cruise terminal is first class. But, traffic access to the front of the terminal seemed rather restricted to me, which I thought would lead to major traffic congestion. Parking also seemed to me to be less convienent than what is available at Baltimore, Fort Lauderdale, and Miami.

Air transport into Norfolk may also be insufficent to support regular cruise operations from this otherwise desireable port.

Living where I do, if there were cruises of interest sailing from Norfolk, I would seriously consider them. A long day's drive, but the Tidewater is not difficult to get to from southwest Ohio.

What I would really like to see is the Bermuda cruise originate in Norfolk and extend to more trips than are now offered out of Boston.

The powers in Norfolk are willing to work out favorable details for parking, traffic control, etc., but they can't control the weather around Cape Hatteras. :rolleyes: Back in the day of the Maasdam cruises we did encounter some of those storms trying to get back to port. That's another reason I am suggesting Bermuda where the cape wouldn't be involved.

Carnival has a couple of trips during the year but they are not the ones that generate much interest. This port is ripe for the taking and I'd love to see HAL become the "takers".

The port of Norfolk VA is ripe for the taking! The cruise terminal is lovely and there are many people from the states around it who would not have to fly to get there. Years ago we took the trips, as did many others, even though there was no "proper" terminal for boarding. We would love to see those blue hulls docked there again! ;)

Yes, I too would love to see this happen. Please HAL, take note!:p

David

In the years when HAL sailed Maasdam from Norfolk, she had a very hard time making it back to port on time. Too many times she was late returning. At that time, there was a new terminal in the planning but it was not yet ready. I would be surprised for HAL to return there for a regular basis.

Our first Hal cruise was out of Norfolk..very nice it was so close to us...but I do remember her getting in late..and it seems other issues with rough seas? The cruise port was not done yet and parking was away from the port so you had to shuttle...but still am looking forward to another cruise out of Norfolk...alas..not on a Hal ship this time:)

The Navy has input as to the timing of cruises coming and going from Norfolk. Most times it's not a problem but if they are moving ships or other activities they can delay ship traffic.

Ironically, the terminal that was built was named Half Moon Cruise Terminal as it was a partnership between the City of Norfolk and HAL.

There are some cruises out of Norfolk but less than 10, yearly. For several years there were none.

I was told by a HAL bridge crewmember years ago that "something" had caused HAL to withdraw from Norfolk and vowed to never return. Interestingly, some cruise lines still have their drydocking and overhaul work done in Norfolk. Whatever happened has caused HAL to leave the port completely. However, never say never!