Mariner rewards and benefits reciprocal scheme with other Carnival cruise lines.

seapals2

I think you got bad information from Seattle. Not surprising. If you are not paying for drinks I don't know how you would get credit for them.

You are paying for them. Explore 4 has a cost factor, which is born out by the option to have it removed in some cases at a savings, or in the case of a 14-day Koningsdam cruise, added for $1320. Under Explore 4, each guest is given a beverage card with a $50 daily limit. Drinks are billed to the cabin account then they credit the account for up to the $50 limit, subject to the $7 max per drink, or $8 max on wine.

It makes sense if you look at Explore 4 as a prepaid expense. The ship is going to get paid for the drinks, either from the HAL Marketing Dept. or the customer, according to who's paying for the package.

Edited by blizzardboy

You are paying for them. Explore 4 has a cost factor, which is born out by the option to have it removed in some cases at a savings, or in the case of a 14-day Koningsdam cruise, added for $1320. Under Explore 4, each guest is given a beverage card with a $50 daily limit. Drinks are billed to the cabin account then they credit the account for up to the $50 limit, subject to the $7 max per drink, or $8 max on wine.

It makes sense if you look at Explore 4 as a prepaid expense. The ship is going to get paid for the drinks, either from the HAL Marketing Dept. or the customer, according to who's paying for the package.

Yes, you may be paying for them indirectly but as far as I know this is on a separate card. Even before that the drinks were debited then credited to your account so the net is zero. It would be interesting for Seattle to explain how you will be credited for it. Please don't get your hopes up. I've started a thread on the main board to clarify.

Edited by cruz chic

I had other questions for them as well, but didn't think a confirmation of previously provided info would hurt. I knew I had been previously told that only HAL cruise days count toward increasing your HAL Mariner Star level when I asked about a Seabourn cruise, but I hadn't thought about getting One-Star treatment if you had previously cruised on another Carnival Corp line...probably because the One-Star level benefits are so lame.

One other thing I verified was regarding the one cruise-day credit for every $300 spent on board. I questioned whether drink purchases paid by the beverage cards that are part of Explore 4 are counted towards the $300 and was pleasantly surprised to get an affirmative reply.

We had E4 on our last HAL cruise and drink purchases did not count toward our spending total. Perhaps things have changed.

As far as the one star, zero cruise day status that HAL gives to passengers who have cruised other Carnival Corp. lines, this is far more than any other non-HAL Carnival Corp. cruise line gives to new cruisers. It may be a lame benefit but it at least they recognize the fact that you've previously sailed within the "family".

DD and I took our second Carnival cruise 3 months ago, and we each received 1 liter of Carnival branded water to recognize us as previous guests. We'll need another two 7 day cruises to get to the level where we would be eligible to be invited to the past guest party and receive a watered down drink, but the invitation wouldn't happen until cruise #5. There are so many repeat cruisers on Carnival that they had to throttle down their loyalty program to make it manageable on board their ships. There are no spending bonus points on Carnival.

IMO, if Carnival Corp. decides to implement reciprocity across its brands, be prepared for a serious dilution of benefits. Loyalty perks cost cruise lines $$, and I doubt that cruise fares would increase to cover those costs. They could retain the same benefits, but they would most likely change the days/points thresholds to get those benefits. That liter of water might be given at 50 days, the Mariner brunch and tile at 100 days, free laundry at 1000 days.

I'd much rather see perks attached to the stateroom category. Book a suite, and get more.

I'm only repeating the answer to the very specific question I posed to the Mariner Society rep yesterday. I specifically addressed Explore 4 and the gentleman didn't hesitate, like he'd dealt with it before. I might suggest Cruz Chic or another CC cruiser call and pose the same question. It would be interesting to get corroboration, or a if a different answer is given, give me time to take them to task before our cruise in January.

The explorer 4 is incorporated into the price of the cruise. You will not get cruise credits for that!

Pay for beverage cards up to $250.00 a card as we do, it will be incorporated into cruise days if!!! You purchase other items prior to your cruise online in your account or on board over $300.00 you get a cruise day.

Denise:)

Happy cruising

Uhmmm... more bad info.

The $50 per day that you refer to is the cost (not including gratuity) that you would pay if you were buying the SBP separately i.e., not part of the E4 promo. There is a daily limit of 15 drinks within the $7/$8 maximums. Trust me, there is no $50 per day limit. Between bottled water, specialty coffee and tea, cocktails, beer, and wine, we would have exceeded that amount on most days.

I'm only repeating the answer to the very specific question I posed to the Mariner Society rep yesterday. I specifically addressed Explore 4 and the gentleman didn't hesitate, like he'd dealt with it before. I might suggest Cruz Chic or another CC cruiser call and pose the same question. It would be interesting to get corroboration, or a if a different answer is given, give me time to take them to task before our cruise in January.

I think it's a mistake to ask Seattle because they give out a lot of incorrect info. I could ask my PCC and she could tell me no. I think it's better to get real world experience. That said, if I can get through to the Mariners society today I may do that but I will be busy off and on so not sure if it will get done. I may try a live chat if it's available earlier.

Somewhat related to the issue of getting credit for Explore4, I think we do get credit for our $800 in Anniversary OBC for excursions that we will get on our upcoming cruise. Is this correct?

I think I understand your question. Are you saying if you spend that $800 on shorex etc will you get the credit for Mariners days? Yes you would.

I specifically addressed Explore 4 and the gentleman didn't hesitate, like he'd dealt with it before.

Reminds me of the time I overheard a staff member of mine spouting off some totally incorrect information to a client, in a most authoritative voice. Client believed her without question.

That's the day I came to the conclusion you don't have to know what you're talking about, you only have to sound like you know what you're talking about.

But if you want to believe the person at the end of the phone in Seattle, rather than those here who have lived the experience, enjoy your bliss.

Edited by RuthC

Reminds me of the time I overheard a staff member of mine spouting off some totally incorrect information to a client, in a most authoritative voice. Client believed her without question.

That's the day I came to the conclusion you don't have to know what you're talking about, you only have to sound like you know what you're talking about.

But if you want to believe the person at the end of the phone in Seattle, rather than those here who have lived the experience, enjoy your bliss.

Well said Ruth!

That is why you and so many other CC's I listen to and have never gone wrong on any of our cruise with good advise!

Denise:)

Is that ever the truth! I've seen it many times in my career.

... I might suggest Cruz Chic or another CC cruiser call and pose the same question. It would be interesting to get corroboration, or a if a different answer is given, give me time to take them to task before our cruise in January.

An excellent idea - you might also run the same question past HAL Ship Services and let us know what answer you get ... good luck

Edited by avian777

An excellent idea - you might also run the same question past HAL Ship Services and let us know what answer you get ... good luck

Great idea! Ask them to put it in writing for you as well so posters on cc that have actual experience can be proven wrong :).

Uhmmm... more bad info.

The $50 per day that you refer to is the cost (not including gratuity) that you would pay if you were buying the SBP separately i.e., not part of the E4 promo. There is a daily limit of 15 drinks within the $7/$8 maximums. Trust me, there is no $50 per day limit. Between bottled water, specialty coffee and tea, cocktails, beer, and wine, we would have exceeded that amount on most days.

If you read the Explore 4 Terms and Conditions, it's the Signature Beverage Package, which has a "retail value of $50 per person per day" which is included in Explore 4. I guess that's what I was thinking about. You are correct as far as the 15 drink/day limit is concerned. If you ordered 15 glasses of wine you'd be the big winner at $120 against a $100 retail value. I do take issue about Explore 4 being included in fares, as it's listed as an option on some cruises on some 3rd party travel sites. The $1320 previously mentioned is the amount to add Explore 4 to a Koningsdam 14-day. Coincidentally, HAL raised the cruise fare on the 14-day K'dam cruise exactly $1320 the day they announced Explore 4. I also know that people have had it removed to save a buck on cruise fare when they don't drink or whatever.

Alright guys and gals...I just called the Mariner Society again and posed the question regarding use of the Beverage package included in Explore 4 and getting Mariner credit for the value of drinks ordered. The gentleman (different guy from yesterday) went to his supervisor and I got the same answer as yesterday. When you order a drink using the Beverage card provided, the cost is added to your account, then they credit your account the cost of the beverage against the drink package. Therefore, the cost of the drinks do count as on board spending, per the Mariner Society supervisor. Asked and answered the same way twice.

Alright guys and gals...I just called the Mariner Society again and posed the question regarding use of the Beverage package included in Explore 4 and getting Mariner credit for the value of drinks ordered. The gentleman (different guy from yesterday) went to his supervisor and I got the same answer as yesterday. When you order a drink using the Beverage card provided, the cost is added to your account, then they credit your account the cost of the beverage against the drink package. Therefore, the cost of the drinks do count as on board spending, per the Mariner Society supervisor. Asked and answered the same way twice.

Thanks for the follow-up info. And smooth sailing!!!

Interesting that the written question and answer are consistent with CC members' experience, but a verbal enquiry repeated by the same member has resulted in the same contrary response. Possibly the verbal question is not being posed in quite the same way?

In any event, given the choice of choosing between contradictory responses from Seattle and the actual experiences of CC members, I'm far more inclined to use CC as a source of factual information.

Interesting that the written question and answer are consistent with CC members' experience, but a verbal enquiry repeated by the same member has resulted in the same contrary response. Possibly the verbal question is not being posed in quite the same way?

In any event, given the choice of choosing between contradictory responses from Seattle and the actual experiences of CC members, I'm far more inclined to use CC as a source of factual information.

Yup. Me too.

We can count on Ruth for pithy quotes: "Enjoy your bliss" is excellent!!

Right up there with "well, bless my soul".

I will remember this one and be grateful for it!

Hey, don't shoot the messenger. I asked two different Mariner reps and a supervisor on two different calls a day a part. I was very specific in asking about the Beverage Package component of Explore 4. The answer given on both calls was also very specific down to the explanation of the drink cost being billed to your account then being cleared by the Beverage Package, therefore counting as on board spending. I have no motive to embellish it or leave anything out. Please don't make snide remarks about the same member getting the same answer when calling, when you haven't taken the time to do it yourself. While I'm wallowing in bliss, you can drown in your cynicism!

Edited by blizzardboy

I just called myself and they are clearly confused. I talked to Chris who talked to his supervisor named Theresa. They maintain that it is included in onboard spending. I asked how that could be so since costs are debited or credited and they say the credits are not considered, I asked why folks that have had the package before haven't rec'd credit in the past and they said those folks should call the Mariners society. I asked for confirmation in an email but they couldn't provide that. I encourage everyone to bombard them with requests for credits and I assume that misunderstanding will be cleared up pretty quick.

Hey, don't shoot the messenger. I asked two different Mariner reps and a supervisor on two different calls a day a part. I was very specific in asking about the Beverage Package component of Explore 4. The answer given on both calls was also very specific down to the explanation of the drink cost being billed to your account then being cleared by the Beverage Package, therefore counting as on board spending. I have no motive to embellish it or leave anything out. Please don't make snide remarks about the same member getting the same answer when calling, when you haven't taken the time to do it yourself. While I'm wallowing in bliss, you can drown in your cynicism!

Well, a lot of people on this board with experience of at least one cruise with Explore4, and some having more than one cruise's experience, are saying it does NOT translate into money spent and therefore cruise spending.

All are saying the the SHIPS do NOT do it the way HAL Seattle says the program works.

Maybe this is new? Maybe the SHIPS are doing it wrong? Maybe HAL Seattle, various departments, are wrong?

Two things I do know from my own long experience: HAL's accounting procedures are atrocious, so I can believe each of the above scenarios; and the disconnect between what happens on the ships and what HAL Seattle thinks happens is an ongoing and entertaining mess.

Someone at HAL is right now looking into this, I am sure.