New flag for NZ ?

The results of the first referendum are out. My choice came second , but it was very close. We now have a face off between the present flag and the chosen one with another vote in March.

My pick is that it will be similar to when Australia voted for a Republic...very close , with the present flag being the winner.

We will have to wait till March to see what happens.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11559764

lockwood_620x310.jpg

The results of the first referendum are out. My choice came second , but it was very close. We now have a face off between the present flag and the chosen one with another vote in March.

My pick is that it will be similar to when Australia voted for a Republic...very close , with the present flag being the winner.

lockwood_620x310.jpg

Thanks for the update David, was wondering what happened, must be an expensive process with 2 referendum.

The results of the first referendum are out. My choice came second , but it was very close. We now have a face off between the present flag and the chosen one with another vote in March. My pick is that it will be similar to when Australia voted for a Republic...very close , with the present flag being the winner. We will have to wait till March to see what happens.

Appreciate this updated and the details for what happens next in New Zealand. Don't think here in the USA that anybody is itching for a change in our flag. We are happy with our current design. It's other "issues" where we in the U.S. have lots of debates and differences.

Will watch for the NZ results in March.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 128,509 views for this posting.

Appreciate this updated and the details for what happens next in New Zealand. Don't think here in the USA that anybody is itching for a change in our flag. We are happy with our current design. It's other "issues" where we in the U.S. have lots of debates and differences.

Will watch for the NZ results in March.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Yes, the US have plenty of other issues before even thinking about a change of flag.

What! Not one flag with a sheep on it! Surely the sheep is more omnipresent in NZ than the silver fern. Did any of the submitted designs have sheep on them? I would have voted for that had I had a vote.

No we left the sheep for the Australians to use on their flag if they ever want to ....after all there are far more of them over there....you just cant see them for the dust.

Should we mention that two of the designs are by an Aussie ??

<<<ducks for cover>>> :p

An Aussie????????????? :D

From the New Zealand Herald

His success in the referendum is bittersweet. He is uncomfortable with his name entering the debate over a flag change, in particular given the ferocity with which people are defending the status quo. If his creation became the new national flag, he hoped he would simply "fade into the background" over time.

But until the second referendum in three months, he expected to be in the spotlight.

He is considering media training to help him get over his nerves and improve his fluency. He had done speech training before, for a previous victory. He led the campaign for a return to 10-year passports.

Mr Lockwood lived in New Zealand until he was 31, then moved to Australia because of his unusual line of work.

His family, who fly his red silver flag outside their home in Breaker Bay, Wellington, has been trying to get him home for years.

What! Not one flag with a sheep on it! Surely the sheep is more omnipresent in NZ than the silver fern. Did any of the submitted designs have sheep on them? I would have voted for that had I had a vote.

No because they don't put puctures of their girlfriends on the flag :p:D, but they'll make it out of wool.;)

Edited by GUT2407

A change of flag is far from a fait d'complete. Talkback is awash with people who are saying as their choice wasn't selected they will stay with the status quo, which is my choice. IMO If and when we become a republic then we can change the flag as part of the process.

lockwood_620x310.jpg

All it needs is to replace that ratty fern with a burning passport and a one way ticket out of there like the smart majority have already done.

PERFECT.

:cool:

A change of flag is far from a fait d'complete. Talkback is awash with people who are saying as their choice wasn't selected they will stay with the status quo, which is my choice. IMO If and when we become a republic then we can change the flag as part of the process.

I think you may be correct. Just over 50% voted for the flag that will be the challenging flag, so chances are the current flag will be maintained.

All it needs is to replace that ratty fern with a burning passport and a one way ticket out of there like the smart majority have already done.

PERFECT.

:cool:

Sounds like a troll climbing out of a deep hole. Suggest you climb back into it