New flag for NZ ?

I worked in NZ in the 1960s for four years as a chef in hotels in Auckland, Wellington and Queenstown. I like NZ and New Zealanders. I found them warm, hospitable and friendly, sports loving and very fit.

But deep down I perceived that they were quite conservative and conformist. If those traits are present today then my guess is that a new flag for NZ is a long, long way away.

I'd agree on your assessment of Kiwis

I worked in NZ in the 1960s for four years as a chef in hotels in Auckland, Wellington and Queenstown. I like NZ and New Zealanders. I found them warm, hospitable and friendly, sports loving and very fit.

But deep down I perceived that they were quite conservative and conformist. If those traits are present today then my guess is that a new flag for NZ is a long, long way away.

We are also kind, thoughtful, smooth, suave, sophisticated, humble, extremely tolerant and extremely modest. We are even known to like the odd Australian. Odd Australians are great people IMO.

We are also kind, thoughtful, smooth, suave, sophisticated, humble, extremely tolerant and extremely modest. We are even known to like the odd Australian. Odd Australians are great people IMO.

And most Australians are odd.

Speak for yourself, I am not odd, but I am eccentric.:cool:

Well everyone I know thinks I'm real good at Nutting out Problems, well I assume that's what they mean when they say I'm a nutter, thinking of getting t on my business cards,

"Gut the Nutter"

I reckon that'd impress them.

Edited by GUT2407

Well everyone I know thinks I'm real good at Nutting out Problems, well I assume that's what they mean when they say I'm a nutter, thinking of getting t on my business cards,

"Gut the Nutter"

LOL. :D You should do it.:p

"Gut the Nutter"

In Facebook parlance: Like

• 2 months later...

The postal ballot voting papers start going out today for the vote on which flag it should be....the present one or the one chosen , by a very narrow margin, in the last vote.

eight_col_Flagsx2.jpg?1455680353

The feeling seems to be that most will opt for the present flag , with the proviso that they want to change , but do not think that the one chosen ,with the black on it and a white , instead of a silver fern , is ideal.

The postal ballot voting papers start going out today for the vote on which flag it should be....the present one or the one chosen , by a very narrow margin, in the last vote.

The feeling seems to be that most will opt for the present flag , with the proviso that they want to change , but do not think that the one chosen ,with the black on it and a white , instead of a silver fern , is ideal.

And that probably means they'll shelve the issue for another decade or so. :(

I like the new one as it retains elements of the original flag in the southern cross on blue but introduces the classic black and white colours that NZ often uses for international competitions, and the equally classic symbol of the fern.

And that probably means they'll shelve the issue for another decade or so. :(

I like the new one as it retains elements of the original flag in the southern cross on blue but introduces the classic black and white colours that NZ often uses for international competitions, and the equally classic symbol of the fern.

If it does not change at this vote it will not change until we become a Republic, and that is most unlikely.

My NZ friends are split right down the middle on the flag decision. I love the new design, so pretty and classy. Wish we'd get a vote on changing our Aussie flag.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

''

Haven't we already got enough issues that are splitting us "down the middle" already????

Barry

''

Haven't we already got enough issues that are splitting us "down the middle" already????

Barry

I'm inclined to agree Bary.

Regardless what you think of the flag the country has bigger issues than that.

It seems the main thing some object to is the Union Jack, I'm just glad it's not the rising sun.

Well, speaking as an American, with no dog in the fight, I like the current flag. Whatever happens, the Southern Cross must remain. I didn't think about the objections to the Union jack until I saw a recent post, but that is part of NZ history--isn't that what a flag represents? My apologies if I have missed a torrent of evil inflicted on NZ by the Brits. While we are taught quite a lot about British history in the US, we learn a lot less as it pertains to other countries.

This is not my issue but I wish NZ good luck on this and I hope all citizens exercise their right to vote on the outcome.

good luck mates

ML

Well, speaking as an American, with no dog in the fight, I like the current flag. Whatever happens, the Southern Cross must remain. I didn't think about the objections to the Union jack until I saw a recent post, but that is part of NZ history--isn't that what a flag represents? My apologies if I have missed a torrent of evil inflicted on NZ by the Brits. While we are taught quite a lot about British history in the US, we learn a lot less as it pertains to other countries.

This is not my issue but I wish NZ good luck on this and I hope all citizens exercise their right to vote on the outcome.

good luck mates

ML

Fair enough - now, without looking it up, describe how it is different to the Aussie flag. ;)

That's the main reason I like the new flag. It is distinctly NZ. And I'd like to see a more distinct Aussie flag as well. The most recognisable flag in the world (other than possibly the USA's) is Canada's with it's maple leaf.

That's the main reason I like the new flag. It is distinctly NZ. And I'd like to see a more distinct Aussie flag as well.

I agree. I'm not set on exactly what I'd like on the Australian flag though - I do agree with others that the Southern Cross needs to stay.

Yes this country has many issues bigger than the flag, I'd love those to be addressed as well. They're not mutually exclusive - we're smart enough to deal with more than one thing at once aren't we?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yes this country has many issues bigger than the flag, I'd love those to be addressed as well. They're not mutually exclusive - we're smart enough to deal with more than one thing at once aren't we?

Not based on the years 2007 to date. Our country has ground to a halt, stymied by PC, Nimbyism, Nanny State thinking, single interest groups, welfare state mentality, what'sinitformeism.... :confused::(

Anyway Happy Cruising - only 4 weeks to sailaway for us :D

I preferred the red blue version of the new flag, however, I think that this exercise was always going to end up with the retention of the existing flag.

I preferred the red blue version of the new flag, however, I think that this exercise was always going to end up with the retention of the existing flag.

So did I initally but when I thought about it the white (representing silver) fern on the black is more classically NZ.