New flag for NZ ?

The new one may be one that suits some locals more, but I don't believe it's globally recognised. As some said, switching to the new design would I think make it less recognisable as to where it belongs - there are other Asian and African countries that have similar features that many would struggle to identify.

It's confusing enough that countries change their name (e.g. Burma now Myranmar, Ceylon now Sri Lanka) so I can't understand why a country would want to change their flag for no significant reason (e.g. becoming a republic).

Australia went down the flag change road as well and thankfully nothing eventuated.

Edited by Kinkacruiser

South Africa had no issues changing their flag, so the same can be said for NZ. Personally, I think the current flag will be retained.

The opinion polls think so as well.

"Opinion polls point to a decisive win for the existing flag, with one survey this week finding 63 per cent wanted to keep it and only 26 per cent backed the new version" (ABC News).

South Africa had no issues changing their flag, so the same can be said for NZ. Personally, I think the current flag will be retained.

You may be right Mic but most of us want the change so that the rest of the world can differentiate between NZ and Australia.

Outside of Australasia most people cannot tell the difference as to which flag represents which country, and contrary to many Aussies belief, NZ is NOT a State of Australia.

So, despite the NZ flag having been in place first!, we have to make the change to show our independence and individuality. NZ has lots to be proud of - long may it continue. Including having the courage and tenacity to change its flag.

The opinion polls think so as well.

"Opinion polls point to a decisive win for the existing flag, with one survey this week finding 63 per cent wanted to keep it and only 26 per cent backed the new version" (ABC News).

It stands to reason, so many people didn't want a new flag anyway and then so many of the ones that did want a new one didn't get their choice so would prefer the old one.:D

You may be right Mic but most of us want the change so that the rest of the world can differentiate between NZ and Australia.

Outside of Australasia most people cannot tell the difference as to which flag represents which country, and contrary to many Aussies belief, NZ is NOT a State of Australia.

So, despite the NZ flag having been in place first!, we have to make the change to show our independence and individuality. NZ has lots to be proud of - long may it continue. Including having the courage and tenacity to change its flag.

Don't feel bad, there are lot of confused people out there.:confused:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2016/03/01/australia-slovenia-wall-cnn_n_9359442.html

It's of course possible to change their flag without issue.

But will it be better recognised is the question?

This amalgam is unlikely as unlike South Africa or Canada which both took a single theme it has two elements on it; makes things less obvious, and still similar to other flags.

It no longer looks so much like Australia's, but it doesn't really stand out on its own.

It's of course possible to change their flag without issue.

But will it be better recognised is the question?

This amalgam is unlikely as unlike South Africa or Canada which both took a single theme it has two elements on it; makes things less obvious, and still similar to other flags.

It no longer looks so much like Australia's, but it doesn't really stand out on its own.

It was just an example that a country can change their flag and it being recognised around the world. The symbol or whatever, doesn't have to mean anything to anyone except those in the actual country.

i have always associated the black flag with the silver fern with NZ i wish they used that i knew of that flag before i knew of rugby i know of the fern due to Trent Croad from Hawthorn Football Club who has that fern as a tattoo on his arm anyways but what ever happens will happen will wait and see

wait long enough people want to change our flag too

It was just an example that a country can change their flag and it being recognised around the world. The symbol or whatever, doesn't have to mean anything to anyone except those in the actual country.

A country can do that. But examples need to relate to the situation to be relevant. To gain recognition elsewhere, examples have stood out rather than containing multiple elements, which aren't so different individually.

A country can do that. But examples need to relate to the situation to be relevant. To gain recognition elsewhere, examples have stood out rather than containing multiple elements, which aren't so different individually.

I think the example is relevant. :D

They already have! But didn't get far... waiting for a republic to eventuate before trying the flag on.

We won't need to change our flag for anytime soon as the PM, who was a major player pushing for the republican movement previously, is not even pushing for a republic now to go with the election later this year. This is when it would have made sense to have it at the same time.

I'd love a new Australian Flag. And yes my Grandfather fought in WWI. I'd also like a new anthem as Advance Australia is very difficult for the average person to sing well. Plus the wording is pretty much meaningless to the person on the street. Doesnt inspire passion.

Countries are reverting their names back from when the British colonisers changed them. Sri Lanka ~ Sinhala origins. Much like Ayers Rock reverting to Uluru. Surprisingly Ayer didn't 'discover' it ;)

Edited by Pushka

I'd love a new Australian Flag. And yes my Grandfather fought in WWI. I'd also like a new anthem as Advance Australia is very difficult for the average person to sing well. Plus the wording is pretty much meaningless to the person on the street. Doesnt inspire passion.

Countries are reverting their names back from when the British colonisers changed them. Sri Lanka ~ Sinhala origins. Much like Ayers Rock reverting to Uluru. Surprisingly Ayer didn't 'discover' it ;)

Some changes are easy others are not, I think that until we become a republic (not any time soon) the Aussie flag will not change. And even if we do get a republic, it still may not change.:D

We won't need to change our flag for anytime soon as the PM, who was a major player pushing for the republican movement previously, is not even pushing for a republic now to go with the election later this year. This is when it would have made sense to have it at the same time.

Not going to happen now. As the saying goes, choose your battles and he'd turn more of his party off given the contentious nature of the republican issue.

Fair enough - now, without looking it up, describe how it is different to the Aussie flag. ;)

That's the main reason I like the new flag. It is distinctly NZ. And I'd like to see a more distinct Aussie flag as well. The most recognisable flag in the world (other than possibly the USA's) is Canada's with it's maple leaf.

I know this one--the Aussie flag has a single star under the Union Jack!! Now, I don't know what that star is so I may lose some credit but still :)

Did I get it right???

ML

PS: i didn't look it up, but i had recently looked at both flags,

Not going to happen now. As the saying goes, choose your battles and he'd turn more of his party off given the contentious nature of the republican issue.

Well he is choosing self preservation rather than following his dreams for abetter Australia.

I don't think there is any issue for the Australian flag to change. We are recognised (with the only confusion being with NZ and that is just people think their flag is ours). Even if we become a republic is shows our history. All that would be needed is a reference to our Aboriginal History, except not the Aboriginal Flag in place of the Union Jack, the colours really do not work well at all, I cringe when people put it up, the colours just don't match.

New Zealand have a reason to change flag but whether or not it is worth the effort and money, I have no idea.

I know this one--the Aussie flag has a single star under the Union Jack!! Now, I don't know what that star is so I may lose some credit but still :)

Did I get it right???

ML

Very good. It's called the Federation Star.

But you missed the extra small star in the Southern Cross. ;)

Did I get it right???

ML

That is the commonwealth star. It is a seven pointed star with 6 of the points representing the 6 Australian states and the seventh represents the Territories.

The other difference between the flags is that the Australia stars are all white. While the NZ stars are red with a white border.

Very good. It's called the Federation Star.

But you missed the extra small star in the Southern Cross. ;)

If NZ become our two new states, then we need to change the flag and add two more points to the Federation/Commonwealth Star. Maybe turn the little star red as well.:p

Edited by MicCanberra