Istanbul taxi/guide tour post cruise

ceejilly

I need your advice please, my wife and I are disembarking Riviera on Sept 17 and our return flight to London is not until 5:35pm:confused: Instead of hanging around Ataturk Airport all day, I am thinking of a half day tour of Istanbul with our luggage left in the taxi. Can anyone recommend a good/reliable taxi company that I could book?

Oceania (UK) has advised me that there is no planned excursion available through Riviera on that day, which is a shame because in the past Azamara has laid on a short tour before driving to the airport when the situation demands. Thank you, Craig

I need your advice please, my wife and I are disembarking Riviera on Sept 17 and our return flight to London is not until 5:35pm:confused: Instead of hanging around Ataturk Airport all day, I am thinking of a half day tour of Istanbul with our luggage left in the taxi. Can anyone recommend a good/reliable taxi company that I could book?

Oceania (UK) has advised me that there is no planned excursion available through Riviera on that day, which is a shame because in the past Azamara has laid on a short tour before driving to the airport when the situation demands. Thank you, Craig

We used Daily Istanbul Tours when we were there. They certainly had transportation and very comfortable. Not a taxi company, but it might be worth an inquiry to see the cost.

You might want to check with your roll call in case there are others in the same position and want to share a tour.

They did a good job for us.

Istanbul taxi drivers are notorious ... I wouldn't trust one with my luggage, that's for sure. Better to use a tour company as has been suggested. (I don't have one to recommend but as I recall there are quite a number of them from prior research.)

Mura

We have used Viator for tours in various countries including Istanbul. They are excellent and we usually have a cab to ourselves. Not sure how much it would cost if they take you on to the airport though. Might be worth enquiring. Jill

Check the Ports of Call Boards on CC... there'll be lots of private tour guide suggestions there if you search the Forum for Istanbul. That's where we looked for a well-recommended transport company for arrival/departure in Istanbul and the service was excellent. (But the driver did not speak English well enough for tour use.) Agree with previous post to NOT use a taxi...we only use taxis ordered by our hotel doorman/restaurant in Istanbul. The one time we hailed a taxi on the street we had a major problem. (FYI: we stay at the Hilton and taxis have to be checked and open their trunks to get thru the gate to the hotel entrance...a few cabs turned us down to take us back to the hotel as they didn't want to go thru security.)

Have a great visit...the city is amazing!

Thank you everybody with the info I asked for. I have taken on board your advice about leaving luggage unattended, because of this it may mean a long session at the airport unless we leave our luggage at left luggage within the terminal and then go 'downtown' for a few hours. Again thanks for your good advice. Craig

Thank you everybody with the info I asked for. I have taken on board your advice about leaving luggage unattended, because of this it may mean a long session at the airport unless we leave our luggage at left luggage within the terminal and then go 'downtown' for a few hours. Again thanks for your good advice. Craig

Your luggage will be safe with a tour company but not necessarily with a taxi hired for a tour.

We are using Curio Travel/Ephesus Shuttle Company in Istanbul for aiport/port transfers. They also offer day excursions.

I second that recommendation. We used them for a day tour in Istanbul and drop off at airport.

We also used them for an Ephesus tour. Also highly recommended

We once had our return flight delayed by a full day, and found ourselves left with a free morning on our last day in Istanbul (We had been hardcore touring for five days, by this time).

Our Guide suggested a tour of the Medieval City Walls of which at least some sections are convenient to the Road to the Airport.

171512.jpg

Looking at walls didn't strike a chord at first, but we were wrong, they were completely fascinating!

170546.jpg

After the walls of Constantinople were breeched in 1543, and City Walls in general became less viable for defense, the remaining structures were gradually taken over by local communities, sometimes for agriculture or commerce (think rug merchants), but also for housing. A wonderful microcosm.

In my experience, Oceania says there are no tours enroute to the airport, but have always drummed one up after embarkation. However you may not wish to "wait and see". Istanbul is a wonderful city. I would go back in a heartbeat!

Mo

Edited by potterhill

We also used Ephesus shuttle, though in our case it was for a tour of Istanbul then a transfer to the ship at the start of our holiday rather than an airport transfer at the end.

We were very happy with their service both in Istanbul and Ephesus.

I have used this gentleman. He had a driver and van and was a lovely guide. We corresponded multiple times before our tour. He was referred to me by another popular guide, Levant who does Epehsus area and we toured with previously.

Mehmet

tetikm@superonline.com

Please visit my website at: www.turkeytravelplanner.com/guides/tetik_m.html

My mobile number : +90 5326120113

He was referred to me by another popular guide, Levant who does Epehsus area and we toured with previously.

Small World, Levant (Levent) Solmaz is the Guide who took us on "the Wall" Tour!

http://leventsolmaz.com/

-last we heard, he was concentrating on Bodrum and the Turkish Riviera, but still taking some clients in Istanbul and Ephesus.

A dear friend of ours, who decidedly does NOT share our tax bracket, flew him to Malta where he "unofficially" decoded the Hypogeum for their family group.

A brilliant gentleman!