can you use Beverage Package as soon as you board?

mafig

Do you get to use your beverage package as soon as you board?

Wondering because I read on another board (another line) that if you do they charge tax on the drink before sailaway. (this was NCL ... you know how they are.:()

Wondering because I read on another board (another line) that if you do they charge tax on the drink before sailaway. (this was NCL ... you know how they are.:()

On our cruise to Bermuda on Summit last we week, they were selling drink packages using your Room Card at a drink sales desk located on the jetway just prior to boarding...the cost is charged to your room and you pay when your account is settled, like other charges incurred during the cruise. You should be able to use your card right away. If any charges show up, I am sure you can have them removed. You can view a running total of your charges on your interactive TV.

Yes, you can order right away but yes, they will charge you the taxes applicable for that port. Isn't going to stop me...however, if I were thinking about ordering a bottle of wine I'd wait until we're sailing.

Hmm, that's interesting...I wasn't aware that the cost was any different buying on the jetway or the ship before departure or on board just after the ship has sailed.

They do offer a glass of free champagne upon boarding...

Edited by soxfan2013

Yes, you can order right away but yes, they will charge you the taxes applicable for that port. Isn't going to stop me...however, if I were thinking about ordering a bottle of wine I'd wait until we're sailing.

Have never had taxes added prior to leaving FLL or in any other port.

I was charged Spanish VAT tax on my drink when I boarded in Barcelona in 2012. Then in 2014, I boarded in the same port and I wasn't charged. Both cruises had ports of call that were not part of the EU at the time and I had the premium beverage package. Still can't figure it out.

But…..if you have purchased the beverage package prior to boarding, they don't add any tax, do they? That's what the OP was asking, it appears to me.

It's only when you are buying drinks one at a time, or purchasing a new beverage package once on board that the issue of taxes arises, AFAIK.

You must immediately head for the nearest bar before can you order and then start consuming. The current record is 3 minutes and 12 seconds after first stepping aboard based on reliable sources. Your results may be different.

Is that record for arriving at the nearest bar or the drink reaching you lips? [emoji1]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just to clarify. You had a drink package prior to the start of your cruise and when you used your package to get an included drink before the ship left port you were charges a tax only? Never happened to me and I am really surprised that this happened to you. When was this and what departure port?

I don't believe this is a cruise line specific issue. It depends on where you are boarding from.

I don't believe this is a cruise line specific issue. It depends on where you are boarding from.

Not all cruiselines have beverage packages and since I have one and it's on Celebrity it it cruise line specific .... to me.:p:)

Not a big deal. Just curious. I know if you order a drink while in port in Florida before sail away it includes tax, but didn't know if this applied to the beverage package.

Not all cruiselines have beverage packages and since I have one and it's on Celebrity it it cruise line specific .... to me.:p:)

Not a big deal. Just curious. I know if you order a drink while in port in Florida before sail away it includes tax, but didn't know if this applied to the beverage package.

I was not charged tax on alcohol purchased in Florida before sail away.

We have sailed from NJ many times. No tax was ever added.

What they are talking about is actually buying the package on board before the ship leaves port. There are some ports where this occurs and especially as someone mentioned where the Vat taxes are involved. I have also sailed out of NJ a number of times and don't know either way if they do and yes this is not cruise line specific, it is required by the local authorities.

But…..if you have purchased the beverage package prior to boarding, they don't add any tax, do they? That's what the OP was asking, it appears to me.

It's only when you are buying drinks one at a time, or purchasing a new beverage package once on board that the issue of taxes arises, AFAIK.

I agree.

Within the past year we bought pre-departure drinks in the Port of San Francisco on two different cruise lines. On Princess, we didn't have a drink package and were charged a local tax on the bill. On Celebrity, we did have a drink package and there was no tax charged (nor invoice even generated for that matter).

What they are talking about is actually buying the package on board before the ship leaves port. There are some ports where this occurs and especially as someone mentioned where the Vat taxes are involved. I have also sailed out of NJ a number of times and don't know either way if they do and yes this is not cruise line specific, it is required by the local authorities.

My previous cruise experiences have been on Royal Caribbean. I have sailed out of New Jersey and Florida (Ft. Lauderdale). On each cruise, I have purchased a "dinner wine package", shortly after boarding - but before sail away. Each time, the sales person who sold it to me took my sea pass/ID and room key card for my information, then handed me a ticket to give to my waiter at dinner. My waiter "rang" up the sale in the dining room. My sea pass card was not charged until after sail away. I was not charged a tax on these purchases.

There is a tax on drinks purchased before sailaway. The difference is that if you have the beverage package, Celebrity covers the tax in your drink allowance, but NCL makes you pay the tax separately. On my recent NCL cruise I had to pay about $3 for taxes on drinks I had before we left port. Not a huge deal but one of many little reasons that made me not like NCL at all.

9 trips out of NJ. Some with pre-purchased drink package. Some purchased before sail away on board. Some with an individual drink purchased before sail away. Never had to pay tax.

There is a tax on drinks purchased before sailaway. The difference is that if you have the beverage package, Celebrity covers the tax in your drink allowance, but NCL makes you pay the tax separately. On my recent NCL cruise I had to pay about $3 for taxes on drinks I had before we left port. Not a huge deal but one of many little reasons that made me not like NCL at all.

OK, thanks. That's what I was getting at and probably what the poster meant when I read this on the other thread.

I agree, it's not a big deal, but I usually go over my charges, I would be asking myself "what's this $.90 charge?