Bathroom Question - outlet for Waterpik

Queen of Oakville

I must be losing my mind because I swear I posted this question yesterday :confused: Can't see that my thread was moved and I can't imagine why it would be deleted.

Is it possible to plug a waterpik in the outlet in the bathroom? I recall there is something quirky about the outlet provided in the bathroom. Am I correct?

If not, and if extension cords are on the no-no list .... would the cabin attendant be able to provide an extension cord to use?

My 9 year old is new to braces, and if possible, i'd like to keep her using the waterpik while we are on our cruise.

I must be losing my mind because I swear I posted this question yesterday :confused: Can't see that my thread was moved and I can't imagine why it would be deleted.

Is it possible to plug a waterpik in the outlet in the bathroom? I recall there is something quirky about the outlet provided in the bathroom. Am I correct?

If not, and if extension cords are on the no-no list .... would the cabin attendant be able to provide an extension cord to use?

My 9 year old is new to braces, and if possible, i'd like to keep her using the waterpik while we are on our cruise.

I bring my waterpic. It charges in the cabin, then I bring the waterpic in the bathroom with me. The newer waterpics allow you to do this. Best to purchase a new one that you can charge in the cabin and bring into the bathroom. You cannot even use a hair blower in the bathroom, only an outlet for a shaver.

Enjoy your cruise

I bring my waterpic. It charges in the cabin, then I bring the waterpic in the bathroom with me. The newer waterpics allow you to do this. Best to purchase a new one that you can charge in the cabin and bring into the bathroom. You cannot even use a hair blower in the bathroom, only an outlet for a shaver.

Enjoy your cruise

I just bought a new waterpik that came with a travel unit. But the travel unit has a cord and is not rechargeable, as far as I am aware. I will check it out but I am fairly certain it requires an outlet.

I seem to remember the outlet being really high with no shelf around, like on the ceiling. It's meant for electric shavers.

That is what I recall too.

I guess the other option is asking for a bowl or bucket that she could use in the cabin.

Here is your thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2254248

The outlet is for shavers only and states it.

It is basically a matter of how much power your device consumes. They do not want you to plug your hair dryer or hair curler into the outlet. I will bet that the waterpik does not consume more power than a shaver.

See - http://blog.fosketts.net/2013/02/03/shavers-electrical-outlet/

DON

...... I will bet that the waterpik does not consume more power than a shaver.

DON

Hi,

maybe, maybe not...... my shaver consumes 9 watts, my waterpik 34 watts.

I do not know what is the max limit on the outlet ...... in addition my shaver has nonpolarized plug and the waterpik has a polarized plug so the blades are different sizes and require a polarized outlet.

I was facing the same dilemma and I purchased a battery operated waterpik for the usage on ships or when traveling.

I did not want to use ext. cords because I do not know if the plug where they will be plugged in are GFI or not, and I am not even sure how GFI works on ship, they are wired differently than my house ...... and it is possible for the waterpik to fall in the sink when water is there.......

And one more thing ..... if one will damage the 'for shaver only outlet' .... one will pay for the damage if something other than shaver was plugged in.

Some of the veteran CC members might have read a post by BruceMuzz (who has been working on cruise ships for over 30 years) where he described a damage / fire that was done by guests who plugged in the wrong item in the 'shaver only outlet'.

Ship is not the same as home and safety is even more of a consideration not only for me but for the other guests as well. What we do in our cabin might affect others as well.

I must be losing my mind because I swear I posted this question yesterday :confused: Can't see that my thread was moved and I can't imagine why it would be deleted...

For next time (and for anyone else reading who doesn't know this), just click on your own user name, then Statistics, and you will see where you can click on a link for all your posts and for all the threads you have started. This is an easy and quick way to find your thread, which may simply have fallen off the first or second page if no one replied recently.

Thank you. I swear I searched (and was checking the time stamps and got to a point that pre-dated when I thought I had posted. Appreciate the advice - will ask for an extension cord.

For next time (and for anyone else reading who doesn't know this), just click on your own user name, then Statistics, and you will see where you can click on a link for all your posts and for all the threads you have started. This is an easy and quick way to find your thread, which may simply have fallen off the first or second page if no one replied recently.

Very helpful - thank you!

Amazon sells several battery operated water-picks that hold a charge for up to 2 weeks. We use these exclusively for cruising. Easy enough to re charge in the room but keep in the bathroom for use. They are @ $30

• 4 months later...
Hi,

maybe, maybe not...... my shaver consumes 9 watts, my waterpik 34 watts.

I do not know what is the max limit on the outlet ...... in addition my shaver has nonpolarized plug and the waterpik has a polarized plug so the blades are different sizes and require a polarized outlet.

I was facing the same dilemma and I purchased a battery operated waterpik for the usage on ships or when traveling.

I did not want to use ext. cords because I do not know if the plug where they will be plugged in are GFI or not, and I am not even sure how GFI works on ship, they are wired differently than my house ...... and it is possible for the waterpik to fall in the sink when water is there.......

And one more thing ..... if one will damage the 'for shaver only outlet' .... one will pay for the damage if something other than shaver was plugged in.

Some of the veteran CC members might have read a post by BruceMuzz (who has been working on cruise ships for over 30 years) where he described a damage / fire that was done by guests who plugged in the wrong item in the 'shaver only outlet'.

Ship is not the same as home and safety is even more of a consideration not only for me but for the other guests as well. What we do in our cabin might affect others as well.

Thank you for your input. This is exactly how my husband and I feel about that particular outlet. However, I have now done some research, thanks to other CCers here, and will ask for him to chose one that can be charged. I believe he was concerned whether the pressure would be adequate. We'll see.

Thank you for your input. This is exactly how my husband and I feel about that particular outlet. However, I have now done some research, thanks to other CCers here, and will ask for him to chose one that can be charged. I believe he was concerned whether the pressure would be adequate. We'll see.

Hi, the pressure from the one that I purchased is not as good as from the regular 115Volts unit and also the amount of water is not adequate ...... but it did and does the intended job. The charge is good for few days (depending on number of uses per day) and I have to fill the little tank about 3 or 4 times each time I use it. Mine is a waterpik make. Not the best unit but I take it whenever I go on a cruise or travel.

I have seen some other brands (Amazon web site) and perhaps they are better than waterpik, when the one I have quits working, I will purchase a different brand.

Edited by wieslaw

• 3 years later...

Though not featured on earlier Celebrity ships, Edge does provide a standard 120 volt American electrical outlet--for use other than for electric shavers--in stateroom bathrooms...

20 minutes ago, Xport said:

Though not featured on earlier Celebrity ships, Edge does provide a standard 120 volt American electrical outlet--for use other than for electric shavers--in stateroom bathrooms...

Note: The EDGE outlet in our AQ Class bathroom was   very low down so we could not  use it for our  toothbrush charger unit,  The  cord was not long enough for placement on the vanity top..  We had to keep it in the main desk area. The hairdryer we use has a  much longer cord and  worked fine there.

We are looking for an all battery toothbrush so we don't have to bring the larger unit next cruise. Not as powerful as the plug in charger style but for a week it's ok.

Edited by hcat

2 hours ago, hcat said:

Note: The EDGE outlet in our AQ Class bathroom was   very low down so we could not  use it for our  toothbrush charger unit,  The  cord was not long enough for placement on the vanity top..  We had to keep it in the main desk area. The hairdryer we use has a  much longer cord and  worked fine there.

In my Edge staterooms, the bathroom outlet was located one shelf down from the sink top and worked perfectly in terms of accessing my rechargeable Sonicare from the charging base...

I can understand why Celebrity didn't locate the outlet at sink counter level given the possibility of water on that surface...

There is an outlet in the bathroom ceiling above the mirror on the S-class ships meant for shavers. I questioned the same thing and from OP's description I think we have the same Water Pik unit that also came with a smaller (plug in also) travel unit. The problem is that although it will work with the shaver plug, there is no shelf and the cord is too short to reach. I couldn't use and extension cord with it, but we carry a battery operated charger that has a spot to plug in a small electric device such as a Water Pik. We plug it into that. We can also use it to charge our phones, tablets, computer etc. The unit is made by Halo. We've taken it on many cruises now and it is an allowable device.