On Deck Themed Lunch Buffet.

denmarks

I know what you are talking about. We had them on our Island Princess Panama Canal cruise in March of 2015, and again in November of 2015 on the same ship and itinerary.

Some examples from ours were a fabulous fruit buffet and a Panamanian food buffet.

Maybe it depends on the ship and the Maitre' D. All the food was set up next to the pool. Our Asst. Maitre' D, Guido Ascolani, has 25 years with Princess and came over from Sitmar. I think that has a lot to do with it. He's one of the best and he was in charge of the Horizon Court and the pool area.

How did that happen? Time travel?!? Lol...Perhaps you meant 2014? Given that Nov 2015 hasn't happened yet? Just curious..

Either way, we definitely had themed "outdoor" buffets on Star this past August sailing. There was an Asian set up, complete with decor, a Mexican one, and one other I don't remember. Set up near the entrance to the Horizon Court, port side, in the Calypso pool area and announced in the Patter.

How did that happen? Time travel?!? Lol...Perhaps you meant 2014? Given that Nov 2015 hasn't happened yet? Just curious..

Why yes, it was 2014. Unfortunately by the time I noticed the mistake, it was too late to go back and edit it. Thank you so much for bringing this error to my attention.

Hi all, Was wondering if they will have those pool side buffets on our Regal Cruise 10/24? Really enjoyed them on sea days on NCL...They do a nice job!

If anyone has been on the Regal lately, maybe you could help.

Thanks in advance and can't wait to be sailing on the Regal..It's a repo from NY to FL 10 nights :-)

Hi all, Was wondering if they will have those pool side buffets on our Regal Cruise 10/24? Really enjoyed them on sea days on NCL...They do a nice job!

Thanks in advance and can't wait to be sailing on the Regal..It's a repo from NY to FL 10 nights :-)

Did not see them on our Regal cruise.

I have this many times - though not consistently. Usually on sea days by the "main" pool nearest the Horizon Court. Never has seemed well-publicized, just sort of shows up. If you don't wander by, you may not even know it's happening.

My last few cruises I've been in the Sanctuary during the day so far less aware of what's going on by the main pool.

I sailed on the Regal in April & also your 10-day repo itinerary last October on the Royal & neither had any open deck buffets. With the large Horizon Court & Horizon Bistro buffet areas on the Royal-class ships they have much more room to provide special buffets indoors.

Both buffets have filtered coffee machines that use ground coffee which my tastebuds enjoyed more than on other Princess ships that use concentrated coffee.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Why yes, it was 2014. Unfortunately by the time I noticed the mistake, it was too late to go back and edit it. Thank you so much for bringing this error to my attention.

I was sort of hoping for the time travel option - maybe you would have the inside track on the upcoming world series, winning lotto numbers, etc..you know, help us all out! Oh well...maybe next time..

If you like these outdoor themed lunch buffets, try HAL: They still do them. Plus, all their coffee is real drip coffee vice the undrinkable stuff Princess serves. I love Princess, but it sure would be nice if they would have better coffee, LOL.

If you like these outdoor themed lunch buffets, try HAL: They still do them. Plus, all their coffee is real drip coffee vice the undrinkable stuff Princess serves. I love Princess, but it sure would be nice if they would have better coffee, LOL.

I guess you haven't heard about the new coffee program? The Princess newsletter had a whole section on it...

I guess you haven't heard about the new coffee program? The Princess newsletter had a whole section on it...

Also the Royal-class ships have free filtered coffee machines located in the buffet that use ground coffee.

I read the article in the Captain's Circle Newsletter & thought it might only be at the International Café but only time will tell. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

That's an odd thing to assume, Nina. I did read about the new coffee program called "New Grounds" in my Captain's Circle Magazine. It says that they will be bringing us "even more tasty coffee and tea drinks onboard...<and>...will include both hot and cold espresso-based drinks, barista coffee fusions, iced tea fusions, and green tea an coffee extracts...to provide a premium coffee experience." No where does it say anything about coffee in the dining rooms, room service or on the lido.

I then went to the Princess website, where it says "be sure to purchase a New Grounds Coffee Card on board for great savings."

From the information I have found, I don't feel comfortable assuming that all Princess guests on all ships (that is, other than the Royal-class ships that Astro Flyer mentioned) will have access to better coffee included in their cruise fare. However, I would love to hear about documentation (not rumors) to the contrary. For example, maybe there is something in a "Princess newsletter" that you mention, Nina? I am not sure where to find this "newsletter." For some reason I only receive the Captain's Circle Magazine, and not a newsletter from Princess.

Luckily for me, as and Elite Princess cruiser, I can exchange my unused mini-bar setup for free coffee cards. But that still leaves me with the problem of not being able to enjoy the room service, dining room or lido coffee.

Sounds like a redesigned coffee card from the current Cafe Selects Premium Coffee Card.

That's what it sounds like to me and the way I interpret the Captain's Circle magazine "New Grounds" appears to be a marketing term for training Princess baristas & possibly using an upgraded coffee.

The article states that it's "a new premium coffee program" which is the same description on their current Café Selects Premium Coffee Card except for adding new. Apparently the Caffe Boasi coffee beans from Genoa will be an upgrade from their current coffee beans. I doubt if much would change at the International Café & looking forward to reading posts after the changes are implemented.

I interpret it the same way as you two. I don't see evidence so far that their standard "free" coffee is improving.

The only way to do that is to replace all of the concentrated coffee machines with the German-made WMF filtered coffee machines that use ground coffee.

I've read posts saying that Princess could use a higher quality of concentrated coffee however I think the best option is to replace them with the WMF coffee machines like those in the Royal-class buffets. Princess makes major modifications on ships including to their buffets and I see no reason why they cannot add these improved coffee machines to all of their buffets.