Meals on Long Cruises

cruisemama5

I was wondering how they do the menus on the longer cruises. We have been on two week cruises and the menu was different every night. Am wondering if they would just do the two week menu over and over, or if it is different every night, or just a set number of items, offered in different combinations. We are doing a 45 day cruise and just wondering what to expect.

We have been on a number of longer cruises and of course some of the dishes will repeat, but not so often that we could tell you what the cycle was. The food is just fine and the repeating was certainly not obvious.

The only item worth mentioning is the filet mignons on the formal nights were really pretty tender and tasty while the sirloin steaks offered every day were so tough they would put a cardboard box to shame.

Scott & Karen

We've done a 30 & 36 day and don't recall an exact repeat of anything - just different variations. Like how many ways can you cook pork or chicken breast that still seem elegant. Still never got bored with the food.

Basically our experience as well.

I have taken a lot of long cruises, as well as several back to back and Collectors' cruises.

The cruises that are really consecutive cruises tend to have menus repeat, especially if the itinerary is the same or similar, and the length of the cruise the same.

However, on the cruises that are truly one long cruise, I have found that the menus as a whole do not repeat; some of the items on them do. It's the identical combination of choices that you won't see again.

Desserts are another matter entirely.

Agree, our longest cruise was 52 days and several others which were long but not quite as long - there is very nice variety during the long cruises, and no sense of predictable repetition. But since you do get meat, chicken, fish or vegetarian, there are only so many ways these can be prepared. Lamb, beef, pork ...and yes, liver.

So with approximately 6 entree fundamentals to choose from, there will certainly be repetition with the basics. But the array of appetizers and soup is pretty creative and I find myself just ordering the composed dinner salad more and more for my entree and they have been creative and non-repetitive as well.

My personal bane is seeing far too many cooked carrots. But I can appreciate they store well, are colorful and nutritionally dense. I just don't like them, and it becomes a running joke with the waiter since they all remain on the plate untouched.

Have had the privilege of several long cruises (60 days) including WC's at >100 days. Yes, some individual menu items are repeated but there is also much variety as they incorporate more ethnic dishes plus 'local' fresh fish / seafood. Sometimes I wish they would repeat a favorite...

Do agree about the carrots as refuse to eat cooked carrots but have had excellent waiters who have them substituted or just bring a plate of crudités for the table.

We have been on a number of longer cruises and of course some of the dishes will repeat, but not so often that we could tell you what the cycle was. The food is just fine and the repeating was certainly not obvious.

The only item worth mentioning is the filet mignons on the formal nights were really pretty tender and tasty while the sirloin steaks offered every day were so tough they would put a cardboard box to shame.

Scott & Karen

OP: Hope you pay attention to this post about steak. Could not agree more!

MDR for filet; Pinnacle for filet and any other steak!

Love long cruises: hope you have a super time!!!!

Not to digress (too much) but here is some insights about those of us who reject cooked carrots, but like them fine when they are raw. Not just in our heads, but in our tastebuds ...or our ears:

"What's wrong with cooked carrots?

When people say they detest cooked carrots, they generally mean boiled (although the sickly-sweet glazed variety my dad used to do also springs to mind). The most obvious sensory attribute that is missing from a boiled carrot is the crunch.

The sound of crunching while eating enhances our perception of freshness, irrespective of taste. And our teeth and jaws appreciate foods that allow them to do some mighty chomping once in a while. A floppy carrot, therefore, can be disconcerting.

And, of course, the effects that cooking has on the taste are myriad. They way we chew soft, cooked carrots will cause different flavours to be released, according to food scientist Lindsey Bagley. Furthermore, she says, "chemically, there are more sugars in a raw carrot than in a boiled carrot", which will have leaked sweetness into the cooking.

As well as their inherent sweetness, she continues, "carrots can have a harsh, sometimes earthy or woody flavour character. And young 'baby' carrots have a green, parsley-type flavour."

With minimal boiling (blanching) to retain flavour, many of these attributes will be enhanced because they are being eaten warm, which brings out and intensifies these flavours. I would argue that blanching is preferable to boiled carrots, which are eerily bland (and get extra loathesome points if they're crinkle-cut).

But that's not all. Cooking carrots also forms lipid droplets, which contain many of the flavour compounds, according to Mike Gordon, professor of food and nutritional sciences at the University of Reading: "As they move from cells into intercellular spaces, this could increase the flavour intensity.

" On the other hand, the "slightly acidic tissues" in carrots would lose some acidity to the water. So there's a lot going on there – all depending on the level of cooking, type of carrot and whose palate is doing the tasting."

Of course, if you roast your carrots, it's a whole other ball game. Bagley says: "The flavour and sweetness will be intensified, but also a caramelisation note is added as the sugars brown." It is easier to retain some bite in a roasted carrot, too.

Edited by OlsSalt

On a long cruise, or even a b2b like what is done by the Wayfarer/Seafarer cruises in the Caribbean, there is a good mix-up of different menu items. Some items can be predicted to be on the menu on a certain day: embarkation day dinner will always include Prime Rib as an entree.

Really did appreciate when menu items that reflected the part of the world where we sailing. Most memorabile was Filet of Kangaroo when the Volendam was in Australia in 2002.

On some cruises, the veggies were repeated much too often. One cruise particularly, the company must have gotten a really good buy on Green Beans. Nearly every entree had Green Beans (and after growing up on lots of Green Beans and Ham, they remain just below parsnips on my "prefer not to eat veggie list").

Edited by rkacruiser

Not to digress (too much) but here is some insights about those of us who reject cooked carrots, but like them fine when they are raw. Not just in our heads, but in our tastebuds ...or our ears:

When people say they detest cooked carrots, they generally mean boiled (although the sickly-sweet glazed variety my dad used to do also springs to mind). The most obvious sensory attribute that is missing from a boiled carrot is the crunch.

The sound of crunching while eating enhances our perception of freshness, irrespective of taste. And our teeth and jaws appreciate foods that allow them to do some mighty chomping once in a while. A floppy carrot, therefore, can be disconcerting.

And, of course, the effects that cooking has on the taste are myriad. They way we chew soft, cooked carrots will cause different flavours to be released, according to food scientist Lindsey Bagley. Furthermore, she says, "chemically, there are more sugars in a raw carrot than in a boiled carrot", which will have leaked sweetness into the cooking.

As well as their inherent sweetness, she continues, "carrots can have a harsh, sometimes earthy or woody flavour character. And young 'baby' carrots have a green, parsley-type flavour."

With minimal boiling (blanching) to retain flavour, many of these attributes will be enhanced because they are being eaten warm, which brings out and intensifies these flavours. I would argue that blanching is preferable to boiled carrots, which are eerily bland (and get extra loathesome points if they're crinkle-cut).

But that's not all. Cooking carrots also forms lipid droplets, which contain many of the flavour compounds, according to Mike Gordon, professor of food and nutritional sciences at the University of Reading: "As they move from cells into intercellular spaces, this could increase the flavour intensity.

" On the other hand, the "slightly acidic tissues" in carrots would lose some acidity to the water. So there's a lot going on there – all depending on the level of cooking, type of carrot and whose palate is doing the tasting."

Of course, if you roast your carrots, it's a whole other ball game. Bagley says: "The flavour and sweetness will be intensified, but also a caramelisation note is added as the sugars brown." It is easier to retain some bite in a roasted carrot, too.

Now that is very interesting!

Wow! A scientific reason why I hate cooked carrots! Thanks for digressing, OleSalt.

Edited by Scrapnana

We have never done a long cruise. Most of ours have been 12-17 days.

Having said that, we are always gllad to disembark.We find that after 10 days or so the food becomes monotonous and many things seem to taste the same. Does not matter what cruise line we are on.

We have experienced the same on week long conferences when we eat at the same venue for all meals during our stay.

Edited by iancal

RuthC expressed what in essence has also been my experience.

1. On a b2b cruise of my doing, menus recycled in a day by day fashion, in very small print near the bottom it even said, as an example, day2 of 7. (Alaska cruises)

2. On several Grand Voyages and other long ones (like over 35 days) the menu as a whole never repeated, but after awhile some previously offered entrees did repeat but not with the same other entrees. (Then of course there were the standard offerings from the "offered every day" menu.) These too would have in small print the day they were used, such as "Day 36, Asia-South Pacific Grand Voyage".

RuthC expressed what in essence has also been my experience.

1. On a b2b cruise of my doing, menus recycled in a day by day fashion, in very small print near the bottom it even said, as an example, day2 of 7. (Alaska cruises)

2. On several Grand Voyages and other long ones (like over 35 days) the menu as a whole never repeated, but after awhile some previously offered entrees did repeat but not with the same other entrees. (Then of course there were the standard offerings from the "offered every day" menu.) These too would have in small print the day they were used, such as "Day 36, Asia-South Pacific Grand Voyage".

This is our experience on other cruise lines. I think the culinary department tries hard not to be predictable. Also, one Maitre d told me that this is where they try out new dishes and see how the public responds.

My long cruise experience is limited to one but with more booked. I fell in with a group of solos on that cruise and we dinned together often, in different combinations, and in different venues (Canaletto, Pinnacle grill, Lido, main dinning room). If menus repeated in the main dinning room I wouldn't have noticed. Loved the variety of this aporoach even though menus don't change in the extra cost restaurants. We even did a La Cirque.

This is our experience on other cruise lines. I think the culinary department tries hard not to be predictable. Also, one Maitre d told me that this is where they try out new dishes and see how the public responds.

We were on a Ryndam Mediterranean Culinary Council or Master Chef themed cruise once where they were trying out all sorts of new dishes a few years back. Their seared ahi and horseradish mashed potatoes on that cruise was one of the best dinners I have had anywhere, and we do travel for original dining experiences.

However, I think we all have to keep in mind that this is a mass tourist industry dining experience serving the equivalent of hotel banquet food prepared under limiting circumstances for thousands and thousands of meals daily -front of the house and back of the house.

In that regard, we think HAL consistently performs very well and often exceptionally well, and just as equally occasionally offers some duds too. But there are always ways to pick around the daily offerings to be well attended to overall.

Edited by OlsSalt

Have had the privilege of several long cruises (60 days) including WC's at >100 days. Yes, some individual menu items are repeated but there is also much variety as they incorporate more ethnic dishes plus 'local' fresh fish / seafood. Sometimes I wish they would repeat a favorite...

Do agree about the carrots as refuse to eat cooked carrots but have had excellent waiters who have them substituted or just bring a plate of crudités for the table.

I am so excited to read that others reject cooked carrots. We were on a Celebrity cruise AU and NZ and were served cooked carrots every night. YUCK! I can't look at them .

We have not had that problem with HAL yet. I just make sure to ask for no carrots.