Cash money

oldpharmguy

How much cash money do you or would you carry on a 14 day cruise from New England to Canada and return. Thanks for comments.

I normally pay for virtually everything on my credit cards, so other than what I'll take for additional gratuities for the crew, I'm taking about $20 a day. I can always replenish along the way if necessary. We're renting cars everywhere except Bar Harbor, so other than Oli's Trolley, don't even need cash for tipping excursion guides/drivers.

Edited by Fouremco

Everything you buy on the ship goes onto your shipboard account. If you wish to tip extra to those at the end of the cruise whom you have felt deserve an extra -- that is up to you as to how much you wish to tip.

Since we have to do hotels pre cruise and post cruise -- we have to count on tips for cabs and meals.

You may also want to consider how much you want to tip guides and bus drivers on tours that you take.

14 days -- be prepared with at least $50 extra per day for tours, meals off the ships, etc. depending on how much you use your credit cards.

I forgot to mention that for our pre-cruise night in Boston and for Bar Harbor, I have USD and CDN for the remainder. While no one in Canada will reject USD, the exchange rate that you will receive will vary widely and often will be well below the going rate. I suggest that you convert to CDN onboard or wherever else you will receive a decent exchange rate.

A relic of the 20th Century, but Traveler's Checks are still available and can be easily cashed at the Front Office. I always have some. I have heard too many stories of ATM cards being swallowed by a machine, never to be seen again. That does not mean I won't use an ATM, but I like having some Traveler's Checks as a back-up, just in case.

We always bring more than we think we'll need....usually in the $1500-2000 range....you never know when you'll need cash! Large bills are much easier to carry...we break them down as needed on the ship. Hubby and I carry some, so it's not all in one place. We've used travelers checks, but what a hassle....our bank doesn't even sell them anymore.

I've never used an ATM, so I'm not starting on vacation!

We almost never spend all of that...but the bank lets us put it back in our account!

Edited by cb at sea

We always bring more than we think we'll need....usually in the $1500-2000 range....you never know when you'll need cash! Large bills are much easier to carry...we break them down as needed on the ship. Hubby and I carry some, so it's not all in one place. We've used travelers checks, but what a hassle....our bank doesn't even sell them anymore.QUOTE]

Do the same plus never use an ATM in a foreign port to be extra safe. Also not a real fan of using credit cards in ports after having issues with 'extra' charges on my credit card after using it in Columbia a few years past - wish I had bought that many emeralds - but have a card just for ports that has a low limit. The major card never leaves the ship. Also stash the $100 bills here and there until they get tucked into the safe. My nephew is into cyber security and he is adamant about never using a bank cash card in an unknown or foreign ATM as if scammed, gives the scammers direct access to your accounts with little recourse for recovery while a credit card has more safety guards.

How much cash you bring is dependent on many factors such as: do you like to eat and drink in port, do you plan on hiring tours on the dock, how much shopping do you anticipate, do you plan on providing extra tips to the staff. The $200 a day may be a good estimate but personally I rarely spend that much in port.

We always bring more than we think we'll need....usually in the $1500-2000 range....you never know when you'll need cash! Large bills are much easier to carry...we break them down as needed on the ship. Hubby and I carry some, so it's not all in one place. We've used travelers checks, but what a hassle....our bank doesn't even sell them anymore.QUOTE]

Do the same plus never use an ATM in a foreign port to be extra safe. Also not a real fan of using credit cards in ports after having issues with 'extra' charges on my credit card after using it in Columbia a few years past - wish I had bought that many emeralds - but have a card just for ports that has a low limit. The major card never leaves the ship. Also stash the $100 bills here and there until they get tucked into the safe. My nephew is into cyber security and he is adamant about never using a bank cash card in an unknown or foreign ATM as if scammed, gives the scammers direct access to your accounts with little recourse for recovery while a credit card has more safety guards.

How much cash you bring is dependent on many factors such as: do you like to eat and drink in port, do you plan on hiring tours on the dock, how much shopping do you anticipate, do you plan on providing extra tips to the staff. The $200 a day may be a good estimate but personally I rarely spend that much in port.

Most people would not agree with this statement.

If you need foreign cash, many people use ATM's all around the world. By the way, problem occur in the good old USA.

Ironically, the only fraud I have ever had on Credit Cards has been related to the USA. One of two cards we had to have replaced came from the fiasco where someone got into a store's site (not Target but similar).

I can list so many places in the USA that obviously were not secure (Target, Home Depot, Neiman Marcus and the list goes on and on and on).

Keith

I was told by my travel agent about 35 years ago, to take in cash whatever your ticket cost. If your trip was $500 pp then take $500 in cash pp. If your trip was $2000 pp, then take $2000 pp. This formula has worked for me in all of my travels.

I did take $500 extra emergency cash for my 21 day Med trip, and did use it.

Unexpected expenses occurred frequently to us. And we each had a credit card with us.

Most times I bring home a small amount (enough to have my photos printed).

I don't use ATMs when I travel. As others have mentioned problems can arise anywhere. I once used my ATM card at my own Credit Union, the machine kept my card over the weekend, so I had no access to my money until Monday. If that were to happen on a one day stop in port, there would be no way to rectify it.

My nephew is into cyber security and he is adamant about never using a bank cash card in an unknown or foreign ATM as if scammed, gives the scammers direct access to your accounts with little recourse for recovery while a credit card has more safety guards.

Your nephew is a bit wrong. There's more chance of having your ATM card "skimmed" in the US than abroad (it's my job to know that), and the only times I've had "extra" charges on a credit card were in the US.

We use ATM and Credit cards with little problem. The biggest risk, I find, is pickpockets. Which is why I prefer to carry plastic, not cash.

Debit cards and credit cards are definitely the way to go in the 21st Century.

My wife and I both carry 2 of each : one of each on our person when ashore and one of each in the hotel/ship safe. A lost or stolen card can be cancelled within minutes and we still have lots of backups.

Your nephew is a bit wrong. There's more chance of having your ATM card "skimmed" in the US than abroad (it's my job to know that), and the only times I've had "extra" charges on a credit card were in the US.

We use ATM and Credit cards with little problem. The biggest risk, I find, is pickpockets. Which is why I prefer to carry plastic, not cash.

I have been using debit and credit cards in many countries for years - in fact since debit cards and ATMs were relatively new. I tend to use ATMs at banks, seldom those stand-alone ones. Never had a problem except for one time when my CC was scammed in Hawaii. Quickly rectified - Visa contacted me as soon as questionable purchases were made. My wallet was stolen in Mexico, a quick call cancelled the cards. Plastic is safer IMO. We carry a small amount of cash for things like cab fare.

I was told by my travel agent about 35 years ago, to take in cash whatever your ticket cost. If your trip was $500 pp then take $500 in cash pp. If your trip was $2000 pp, then take $2000 pp. This formula has worked for me in all of my travels.

I did take $500 extra emergency cash for my 21 day Med trip, and did use it.

Unexpected expenses occurred frequently to us. And we each had a credit card with us.

Most times I bring home a small amount (enough to have my photos printed).

I don't use ATMs when I travel. As others have mentioned problems can arise anywhere. I once used my ATM card at my own Credit Union, the machine kept my card over the weekend, so I had no access to my money until Monday. If that were to happen on a one day stop in port, there would be no way to rectify it.

When my ancillary cash purchases start costing as much as my cruise, I'm sure my financial advisor will want to have a little talk with me! :)

I take approx. $400 U.S. for a 14 day cruise. Use this for tips on the ship and on shore lunches and souvenirs. Credit and debit cards charge too much in exchange to the Canadian dollar. Does not make sense to use plastic out of the country for meals and gifts. If I have to use a credit card I have one that charges less in exchange and conversion fees.

On most of our cruises we take $100 for each port day that we have nothing prebooked and maybe $50 for days with excursions booked. Then some for extra tips or souvenirs. We don't generally make any large purchases while on our cruises.

I take approx. $400 U.S. for a 14 day cruise. Use this for tips on the ship and on shore lunches and souvenirs. Credit and debit cards charge too much in exchange to the Canadian dollar. Does not make sense to use plastic out of the country for meals and gifts. If I have to use a credit card I have one that charges less in exchange and conversion fees.

There are several credit cards available here in Canada that have no charge at all for foreign exchange. We always carry those on our travels.

Where do you get your USD to begin with? Unless you have a source of US funds, you need at some point to convert CDN into USD. I always use my credit card to the maximum because mine offers a better conversion rate than I can get buying USD and charges no transaction fee.

EDIT: Sorry , Lizzie, I didn't see your post before writing. Glad to see we agree! :)

Edited by Fouremco

There are several credit cards available here in Canada that have no charge at all for foreign exchange. We always carry those on our travels.

I wonder which those are. I think I may have some. I've never really noticed because I like plastic for convenience and security. I'll have to check with my companies!