How does Reflection compare with Eclipse?

Jo and Rob

We have sailed on Eclipse a couple of times and love it. The first we did a love from with video:

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1454387

I would like to know how Reflection compares. Similarities, differences and opinions of the changes. I'm assuming that they are pretty similar but I guess I'm about to find out! :)

The main difference is at the top of the ship. There is an extra deck of what are now Sky suites. This means that the you don't have to go up stairs to the lawn it is on the same level are the top of the pool deck.

The Glass show is replaced with a restaurant - the Lawn Club and where the shop is on the Eclipse is the Porch (which is currently trialing as a fish restaurant).

The bar at the back - Sunset is a totally different shape. What was the Molecular Bar is also shaped differently but in same place - although not now Molecular but World Class Bar. Michael's Club is slightly differently laid out.

Since you were on the Eclipse there have been a few changes which are also on Reflection. Part of the dinning room on Deck 3 is now the Suite restaurant. The passport Bar now has Gastropub added for sea days. There were a few other changes to the Eclipse in April while in dry dock which I don't know if they have been done on the Reflection as yet.

One of the biggest differences is the loss of about 40% of the Sky Lounge on the Reflection. Rooms were added along the port side.

If you are sailing Aqua class, Blu is more crowded with more tables and more diners. For us, that meant less attentive service than we had been used to.

We also miss the Hot Glass show on Reflection.

Both are clean ships with great crews.

We're on the Reflection this past May. One difference we liked was that the ocean view cafe was on the same level as the pool deck. To us the ship did not feel noticeably more crowed than other S class ships. We had a fabulous cruise and thought the staff was terrific. Enjoy.

One of the biggest differences is the loss of about 40% of the Sky Lounge on the Reflection. Rooms were added along the port side.

If you are sailing Aqua class, Blu is more crowded with more tables and more diners. For us, that meant less attentive service than we had been used to.

We also miss the Hot Glass show on Reflection.

Both are clean ships with great crews.

For us, the smaller Sky Lounge is a big negative and why, if we have a choice, we will not cruise on Reflection.

Unless there is an awesome deal on a suite. Then it would be the best ship ever!:D

Have sailed on 3 reflection trips (with a 4th booked for 1/30/16) and just got off the eclipse Norwegian Fjords cruise 8/30. As many have stated, ships are similar, but we choose the reflection. One of the main reasons for us is the ability to get to the Sunset bar lawn club from the Forward elevators (same level as mentioned previously) As a Handicap person, the Concierge Accessible staterooms are well forward. We would have to go to the Main glass elevators to get to the sunset Deck. This makes for much busier lifts. This falls right in line with our use of the Alcoves they have installed adjacent to the lawn area. Not everyone likes the idea of the Alcoves, but we rent for the week and enjoy having a place to park it each day without fighting for a spot. It is quiet, catches a great breeze, and your own attendant to get drinks/snacks is not too bad. The Glass show on Eclipse is nice, but if you have seen it, a bit redundant in my opinion. Beyond what others have stated, the small nightclub Quasar is on the Eclipse. A good late night place for folks to keep things going. I do not think you can go wrong on either.

The PORCH is $25? This spring it was $5

The entire menu and concept changed, the paninis are gone, replaced by wonderful seafood menu, jumbo prawn cocktail, moules mariniere, mahi mahi tacos, seafood tower, and the most amazing bread. I reviewed in my blog, with photos. Well worth it imo. The al fresco setting lends instelf perfectly to the food.

We sailed on the Eclipse spring transatlantic this year and the Reflection transatlantic last year. In comparing the two ships we found the entertainment to be better on the Reflection and the food to be much better on the Eclipse. The sky lounge on the Eclipse is larger but with the recent cruise activities staff cut backs I found the trivia games to be less enjoyable than those on the Reflection which were held in the ensemble lounge. There were fewer children on the Eclipse this year. The aesthetics of the Reflection were superior to the Eclipse, but you have to take in consideration that it is the newest version of the S class ships. One outstanding feature on the Reflection was the game room, which offers a variety of electronic games that were enjoyed by both adults and children. I also felt the officers were more visible and friendly to the passengers on the Reflection. If you have any specific questions, I would be pleased to try to answer them.

The PORCH is $25? This spring it was $5

Yes, and if you want some seafood, it is $30!

I had lunch at the Lawn Club Grill on Reflection and it cost $25. Abbreviated menu and not worth it in my opinion. Best part was the salad bar.

I thought the food on Eclipse was very good across the board. No complaints with that ship.

As someone briefly touched on, they replaced the Quasar disco on early S class ships with a conference room on Reflection. Kind of dumb in my opinion as it takes away another club/lounge and replaces it with something that is rarely used...especially in the evening.

Another significant difference is the outside Aft seating in the Ocean view area. IMO the Reflection is much better than the Eclipse. The Eclipse was an attempt to make the area more of a combined eating and lounge area with the bar, low level seats and tables. (Cocktail table style). They abandoned that redesign on the SIlhouette and Reflection. They went back to the Solstice design.

Friends of ours returned home today from their first Celebrity cruise and loved Reflection

They loved the food, cabin, ship, service etc etc.

They were not that fussed with the entertainment, but worst of all they were tormented by the non stop repetitive Boom Boom music around the ship.

It was so repetitive every day they soon worked out what song was coming next.

They have previously cruised extensively with RCI and once with P&O.

The bottom line is, they would go with Celebrity again as a second choice behind RCI, but never again with P&O

The entire menu and concept changed, the paninis are gone, replaced by wonderful seafood menu, jumbo prawn cocktail, moules mariniere, mahi mahi tacos, seafood tower, and the most amazing bread. I reviewed in my blog, with photos. Well worth it imo. The al fresco setting lends instelf perfectly to the food.

Does anyone know if that's on silhouette as well or only at the porch on reflection?

• 1 month later...
We have sailed on Eclipse a couple of times and love it. The first we did a love from with video:

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1454387

I would like to know how Reflection compares. Similarities, differences and opinions of the changes. I'm assuming that they are pretty similar but I guess I'm about to find out! :)

Yes they are very much alike. However, the Reflection and Silhouette are newer and do not have a glass blowing show. We have seen it and do not enjoy it. It is hot, long and the bench seating not good for those over 50 or those with back issues. Instead they have a wonderful restaurant called the lawn grill which is our favorite Celebrity restaurant. They also have the Porch also a nice venue, especially for a relaxed lunch. We also enjoy the cabanas on the lawn. The Reflection has additional suites and that cut the size of the sky lounge. But IMO not a big deal as we really love the new set up of the lawn area.

You cannot go wrong with any celebrity ship IMO. Enjoy

We like Perry Grant on the Eclipse- so that is a negative on the Reflection. He is a great entertainer- corny but very funny especially after a couple of Martini's

Edited by Cruise a holic

We like Perry Grant on the Eclipse- so that is a negative on the Reflection. He is a great entertainer- corny but very funny especially after a couple of Martini's

So that's what the problem was!! We weren't hammered when we saw him!:)

There was a recent post abt Perry G whereabouts...can't recall answer..maybe u can use search feature.

Reflection felt crowded to us...not so much in BLU but just overall and esp at pool areas and Cafe Baccio.

We did not care for the spa being one flight up from the solarium, but spa itself was amazing.

Disliked the smaller nightclub and the circular bar out back.. made listening to music out there more difficult

. Overall , the ship did have a louder Miami vibe than some other S class....depends on what you prefer! But for Thanksgiving it may have more of a family friendly feel...

have a great cruise!

Edited by hcat