Transferring booking to TA

chefestelle

I booked directly through HAL and have been trying to find a TA here in Australia who will let me transfer the booking to them. No one would offer me anything other than an US$50 OBC. :(

Have you tried posting on the Australia and New Zealand forum to ask about a TA in Australia who will be amenable to your transferring the booking with more generous terms?

I had never considered transferring a reservation before this thread. I would like to understand it more.

First I understand that this might get you more OBC from another TA. You must do so before final payment is made as well.

When you do this do you book online with HAL or use a PCC or other?

Do they lose any commission when you transfer the reservation?

Am I missing anything?

Kevin

I had never considered transferring a reservation before this thread. I would like to understand it more.

First I understand that this might get you more OBC from another TA. You must do so before final payment is made as well.

Am I missing anything?

Kevin

A TA, may give you a better fare, Kevin! But then again, you'll want to think about whether you want more OBC or a better fare.....

Am I missing anything?

Kevin

I have been told several times by my PCC that she doesn't lose anything by transferring the cruise to a Travel Agent

A TA, may give you a better fare, Kevin! But then again, you'll want to think about whether you want more OBC or a better fare.....

What is either/or about transferring? If (when!) I transfer mine I will get a nearly $800 OBC from the TA and keep the same fare as Holland America.

Quote "I have been told several times by my PCC that she doesn't lose anything by transferring the cruise to a Travel Agent"

But what does the TA get out of handling the transfer? Why would you transfer anyway?

We have always used a TA, but recently have had contact with a PCC. I am trying to justify dealing with the PCC and then transferring to a TA. Our TA is just a local travel agent with big ties, so a OBC would not be forthcoming. However she does prepare and agenda for us. Will a PCC do the same?

Edited by boards

Quote "I have been told several times by my PCC that she doesn't lose anything by transferring the cruise to a Travel Agent"

But what does the TA get out of handling the transfer? Why would you transfer anyway?

We have always used a TA, but recently have had contact with a PCC. I am trying to justify dealing with the PCC and then transferring to a TA. Our TA is just a local travel agent with big ties, so a OBC would not be forthcoming. However she does prepare and agenda for us. Will a PCC do the same?

I understand the concept of transferring for a better financial deal, but why do it if all you get out of it is an agenda?

I like using a PCC since 1) I can see my OBC (on board credits) on my reservation and 2) I feel that it is easier and more likely to get an upsell offer, since HAL will email me directly if they are available. Plus, my PCC seems to have good contacts with other HAL departments and is not afraid to make calls to them to research things. In my case, I get better service overall from a HAL PCC than I ever did with a TA (and have tried several).

Of course I cruise exclusively with HAL, so I do not need a TA's advice on other lines. If you travel on different lines, I can understand why you might want to deal with a TA.

Each person's situation and likes/dislikes is different, so there is no one "right" way in this.

Since you quoted me without using the quote function, I will also answer.

I make my initial booking with the PCC I have used for several years. In most cases the booking stays with her.

When I do transfer the booking to a TA, the PCC retains the credit she needs for getting the initial booking, the TA gets whatever commission they would normally get for the cruise - they do not have to get the initial booking to get that commission. In return, the TA generally rebates some of their commission in the form of OBC.

On the cruise I am about to take, I transferred the cruise to a friend who is trying to get started. For this cruise I was not offered enough to warrant me transferring the cruise, but I did to help the friend. She still gets the commission.

I don't know what the TA gets out of the transfer but I get additional OBC that I don't get through the PCC. I get everything arranged to my liking with the PCC and then two - three weeks before final payment, I transferred the booking to the big warehouse TA purely for the OBC. I have little understanding of how it all works from the TA point of view but I believe that some TAs block a certain amount of cabins for their exclusive sale, at a discounted rate. My guess is that my cabin, by being transferred to them, is then included in their numbers, helping them to meet their minimum target. So, there can be a better rate, plus OBC, through a TA plus one gets to keep the previously arranged OBC. In my case, it was only OBC; the rate I got through HAL was better than the TA's rate.

I did it this once, so far, purely because of the OBC and the current CAD/USD exchange rate. It has, as Dave has indicated, limited my opportunities for upgrades and upsells. With my PCC, I was able to score an upsell on my last HAL cruise. On my upcoming cruise, I've had to call the TA to ask them to call HAL regarding upgrades/upsells. It's been more challenging but they've been willing to do it, albeit not always successfully. My preference would be to continue using the PCC but I'll have to weigh the hassle vs the OBC for future cruises. As long as the exchange rates are bad, I'll probably transfer to a TA in the future, purely for financial reasons.

As for the agenda, there is the itinerary online which, I believe, if you arrange your flights and pre/post cruise hotel through HAL, would include those arrangements. If I make my own flight and pre/post arrangements, I just type it all in a spreadsheet and create my own itinerary, including all additional information like how much cash is required or who is touring with us that day.

Just read Rich's answer - I forgot about commission. Go with his answer since he has a friend in the know. I don't.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

I need to make a correction. My error was "Our TA is just a local travel agent with big ties" that should have read "NO" ties. She does not block any amount block of cabins, so would not have any advantage there to give OBC. I am not dissatisfied with my TA and am not looking for a reason to leave. Thank you for your response.

I make my initial booking with the PCC I have used for several years. In most cases the booking stays with her.

When I do transfer the booking to a TA, the PCC retains the credit she needs for getting the initial booking, the TA gets whatever commission they would normally get for the cruise - they do not have to get the initial booking to get that commission. In return, the TA generally rebates some of their commission in the form of OBC.

On the cruise I am about to take, I transferred the cruise to a friend who is trying to get started. For this cruise I was not offered enough to warrant me transferring the cruise, but I did to help the friend. She still gets the commission.

I have the same long-term relationship with my PCC and have heard similar remarks from him regarding transfers to my TA. I do a lot of my own research and use my PCC for a sounding board and to book or re-book fares up until transferring just prior to when final payment is due. Big box C's travel dept gives back about 9% of the HAL fare in OBC, so my interest in transferring is strictly monetary. They also have great group-rate travel insurance programs.

Edited by blizzardboy

Thank you for your response, that is the information I was looking for. Our TA has become like a friend to us through dealing with her and we did not want to offend her. She does a lot for us in the preparation of the bookings for us and it is greatly appreciated.

I booked my first cruise with a large online TA going to Alaska this summer. Not knowing that I should shop around for the best rate/OBC, assumed the rate was fixed. For a $4300 cost (not incl taxes, port fees and insurance) I received $150 OBC. I was happy until I started reading here that people are receiving 5 -9% back as OBC. Does the amount depend on the itinerary? Alaska cruises seem to be in more demand so they don't need to give as much OBC to get your business? Should I change to a different big box TA if I decide to do a second cruise in the future?

I understand the concept of transferring for a better financial deal, but why do it if all you get out of it is an agenda?

I like using a PCC since 1) I can see my OBC (on board credits) on my reservation and 2) I feel that it is easier and more likely to get an upsell offer, since HAL will email me directly if they are available. Plus, my PCC seems to have good contacts with other HAL departments and is not afraid to make calls to them to research things. In my case, I get better service overall from a HAL PCC than I ever did with a TA (and have tried several).

Of course I cruise exclusively with HAL, so I do not need a TA's advice on other lines. If you travel on different lines, I can understand why you might want to deal with a TA.

Each person's situation and likes/dislikes is different, so there is no one "right" way in this.

Thank you for your response.

I have the same long-term relationship with my PCC and have heard similar remarks from him regarding transfers to my TA. I do a lot of my own research and use my PCC for a sounding board and to book or re-book fares up until transferring just prior to when final payment is due. Big box C's travel dept gives back about 9% of the HAL fare in OBC, so my interest in transferring is strictly monetary. They also have great group-rate travel insurance programs.

Ditto. This is the first time we have transferred our booking, and everything went very well. We actually got a lower fare AND OBC -- not sure if that would happen very often, but it did this time. :)

For those who want to shop for fares and potential OBC there is a website that does comparisons based on cabin type. You register with them, put in your info on their website and you will get offers back which you can check on their website under your registration. Many will show OBC. Many types of TAs compete there. Do a search for cruise and compete.

Of the responses you will get, you will see familiar TA names and new names. I would research reviews for any company offering a deal before I'd consider booking through them but there are many good deals out there. I've found some new TAs that way and have had good luck. But again, check out their reviews before accepting what might sound like a fabulous deal. m--

For those who want to shop for fares and potential OBC there is a website that does comparisons based on cabin type. You register with them, put in your info on their website and you will get offers back which you can check on their website under your registration. Many will show OBC. Many types of TAs compete there. Do a search for cruise and compete.

Of the responses you will get, you will see familiar TA names and new names. I would research reviews for any company offering a deal before I'd consider booking through them but there are many good deals out there. I've found some new TAs that way and have had good luck. But again, check out their reviews before accepting what might sound like a fabulous deal. m--

Yes!

And then we have the website that tracks increases and decreases in fare categories that you specify for certain ships and sailing dates. Do a search for cruise and fish.

Please remember that many times YOU are paying for the OBC you receive. Using the information in the website Maureen referenced, you will easily be able to compare the price difference among what a PCC, a traditional TA, a discount TA, and a "big box" store offer. Sometimes it comes down to do you want to pay less or receive a large OBC.

A very successful retired investment banker whom I met on a cruise last fall told me that the commission a cruise line pays a TA of any kind is 15%. It's up to the TA what he or she does with that commission.....

Which of these services, the PCC, a traditional TA, a discount TA or a "big box" store charge for their services?

There is no stock answer. A PCC will not charge a fee. Any of the other categories may or may not charge a fee for their services. You must ask.

BTW, there is no reason to pay a fee for any of these services. Unless the TA or the big box is offering a cruise at a very, very attractive rate, shop elsewhere.

We had our first discussions with a PCC and are disappointed. The rates that were offered to us on the several cruises we are interested in taking, were the same as what Hal quoted on their website. Nothing different, no OBC were offered except what was already advertised. So what is the advantage of using the PCC? I can get that myself or through our TA. How do you get the great rates some of you are saying you get??

We had our first discussions with a PCC and are disappointed. The rates that were offered to us on the several cruises we are interested in taking, were the same as what Hal quoted on their website. Nothing different, no OBC were offered except what was already advertised. So what is the advantage of using the PCC? I can get that myself or through our TA. How do you get the great rates some of you are saying you get??

You will not get any rates from a PCC except those displayed on the HAL website. The only advantage of dealing with a PCC is that you can build a relationship with the PCC since you are always dealing with the same person. Perhaps. Problem is, turnover in PCC is high. Your relationship may not last long.

If you want discounts or large OBC you will have to deal with someone who is not an employee of HAL and PCC are HAL employees.

No one can recommend specific TA in this forum. The rules are quite specific, no TA recommendations. However, there are many 'hints' scattered throughout threads like this one on how to find one.

Princess and Holland are the only two cruise lines I'm aware of that allow TA to discount. Even then, those TA cannot advertise their lower fares. You must call/email and ask for a 'quote'. BTW, those TA who advertise on CC don't discount so there's no need to contact them. I've contacted several TA and asked them for quotes. I tell the ones that only reply with the rates published by HAL, "Thank you but I'm looking for a TA who discounts and I know they exist. Good bye."

One other point. It's not easy finding a good TA that discounts/offers good OBC. It takes a lot of work. You'll have to ask your self if it is worth the effort.

For example, if you're looking at an inside cabin on a Caribbean seven day cruise, you're looking at, maybe, $700 pp. A good discount might be 7-8%, or, around $50 PP. Is that worth it to you? If you're looking at a suite on a longer duration cruise, you might be looking at 10-13%.

Thank you, I appreciate your comments. We do have a good TA, while we do not get OBC from her, I think she makes for it the service she provides to us. I have heardmuch about the use of a PCC and just recently was contacted when I had asked a question on the chat line. So I thought I would try. In fact I am presently in contact with one.

Read the last sentence of the first paragraph of both Post Nos. 41 and 42 above and follow up on your research.

I transferred mine yesterday. I didn't wait until later knowing some cruise lines have suddenly put the ax down on transfers and I didn't want to end up on the wrong side of a nearly $800 OBC. I have no knowledge that any cruise line that doesn't already have restrictions is planning to add them but I was active with Disney at the time they did.

For those on the fence, I can still see my HAL reservation on the HAL website. I can not make or see payments, but can still enter my traveler information, pick dining and buy excursions.