Transferring booking to TA

chefestelle

I'm wondering how you go about transferring a booking to a TA, when it's best done and what the advantages/disadvantages are of doing it. Anyone care to enlighten me? I can tell one disadvantage seems to be you lose control over making changes but I can't tell if that includes to excursions, indulgences and dinners as well as the booking administrative stuff as well...

...I can't tell if that includes to excursions, indulgences and dinners as well as the booking administrative stuff as well...

When you use a TA, either from the beginning, or transferring a booking to them, you retain the ability to book your own shore excursions, dinners, indulgences, and all the other "fun" stuff. You are free to cancel them, and change them at will.

You "give up control" of having to do your own work on the booking itself, as you now have someone to do your work for you. :D

You want to switch cabins? Give the instruction, and your TA will take care of it. You want to rent a mobility device? The TA will take care of the paperwork. Other special needs requests? The TA does it for you.

I've never understood the charm of "keeping control" of my booking, when there is someone to do things for me.

Well, that sounds great. I have a TA doing my Mediterranean booking but I did my Mexico one. So I was wondering if it made sense to transfer to her. I was mostly wondering because of all the "botch ups" on my flights from Flightease!

Amen, RuthC! Additionally, on my last cruise my flight schedule to FL was altered by the airlines no fewer than FOUR times. My TA routinely checks flights, so each time she promptly sent me a copy of the new schedule. Thank goodness, none of the changes were earth shaking, but if they had been, she was in a position to solve the problem.

I'm wondering how you go about transferring a booking to a TA, when it's best done and what the advantages/disadvantages are of doing it. Anyone care to enlighten me? I can tell one disadvantage seems to be you lose control over making changes but I can't tell if that includes to excursions, indulgences and dinners as well as the booking administrative stuff as well...

All you have to do is request your PCC to transfer the booking. You can do it anytime before final payment is due from what I understand. One advantage in transferring is that TAs, whether a big-box warehouse retailer's Travel Dept, or an independent agency, usually offer substantial extras, i.e., OBC, extra premium dinners. For example, a Seattle based, membership-type, big-box warehouse retailer's travel dept gives about 8.5% of the cruise fare before taxes in OBC, over and above what HAL's promos provide. Regardless of who holds the booking, you can still handle your own excursion and dinner arrangements, travel insurance and so forth. Once transferred, admin stuff is usually handled by the TA.

When you use a TA, ... you now have someone to do your work for you. :D ... Other special needs requests? The TA does it for you.

... unless you want to handle special needs requests on your own (as I have done on a few occasions), in which case HAL will definitely work directly with you.

Amen, RuthC! Additionally, on my last cruise my flight schedule to FL was altered by the airlines no fewer than FOUR times. My TA routinely checks flights, so each time she promptly sent me a copy of the new schedule. Thank goodness, none of the changes were earth shaking, but if they had been, she was in a position to solve the problem.

... this has been my experience as well.

Make sure your email address is in your airline profile. If it is, you should be notified of schedule changes as well as your TA. I book airline tickets pretty soon after they become available (331 days prior for most lines), and Delta usually changes flight numbers and/or times 4-5 times on average before our trip. I always take care of my own shopping and reservations (no one to blame but me) so I too check periodically just in case the airline doesn't notify me. If I don't like what they've done, I check their site for better flights and they make my changes at no charge since they changed my original flights.

Well that has all been very helpful as always. Thanks everyone!

I have transferred just before final payment, and a quick call to your PCC or to reservations with the name and company of your TA is all that is required. As to flights, I always book those myself. I just don't like to relinquish control of those!

Edited by Lizzie68

...One advantage in transferring is that TAs, whether a big-box warehouse retailer's Travel Dept, or an independent agency, usually offer substantial extras, i.e., OBC, extra premium dinners...

I have read here and elsewhere that FCC's are automatically transferred to the TA who handled the cruise I will be on. My question is more or less the opposite of OP's - when I book a FCC, I do not want the automatic transfer, I will be looking for a new TA - will they honor my request to not transfer until I notify them?

The TA I have works for an agency that has been identified as one who gives such perks as in the above quote - only I had to ask for a discount - she finally gave us 3% because she felt we already had a lot of (too much?) OBC from HAL - the anniversary OBC and dinners at Tamarind and Caneletto, welcome back OBC (because our last FCC was nearing expiration) and my son's shareholder OBC.

• 7 months later...

They get the commission. I always book with my HAL PCC, watch for new sales/promos, re-book for lower fare or better overall deal if it comes along, then have him transfer the booking to the TA just before final payment date. I know they get the commission or my TA wouldn't give me 9% in OBC in addition to the HAL promo perks.

Edited by blizzardboy

To transfer call HAL @ 1-800-522-3399 Option 4.

You'll need your booking #, your agent's name and company and their local (not 800) phone #.

I have done it several times (before final payment), very easy. After I initiate the transfer I let my agent know and give her the booking # as well.

Edited by Dietemann

I too see multiple airline schedule changes, especially since I book premium cabin tickets 10 or 11 months out. I make sure to set up email and cell phone reminders on the airline sites to make sure I know about any changes, as I don't want to rely 100% on someone else...trust but verify. I enjoy doing my own research, which with programs like google flights is very easy. With the wealth of internet services out their, I find I am as knowledgeable as a lot of TAs. I do rely on their expertise when planning something more complex than flights to and from a cruise.

I have a new booking. It's so far in advance I have not looked at flights yet. If I send it to a TA can I still opt for HAL's flights if I decide those are my best option when the time comes? Would the TA have to be an intermediary on flight questions or can HAL's air people help me directly?

I have a new booking. It's so far in advance I have not looked at flights yet. If I send it to a TA can I still opt for HAL's flights if I decide those are my best option when the time comes?

Of course.

I too see multiple airline schedule changes, especially since I book premium cabin tickets 10 or 11 months out. I make sure to set up email and cell phone reminders on the airline sites to make sure I know about any changes, as I don't want to rely 100% on someone else...trust but verify. I enjoy doing my own research, which with programs like google flights is very easy. With the wealth of internet services out their, I find I am as knowledgeable as a lot of TAs. I do rely on their expertise when planning something more complex than flights to and from a cruise.

Same here. Almost every time we book more than 6 months out we get a change or two before flight day.

I wanted to remind everyone that these changes can work to your advantage. If the airline makes the change, you do not have to just accept it. Normally, they are very willing to allow you to adjust your flights to something that better suits you, for no additional fee. Recently we had a flight with less than optimal times (for us) but we booked it because it was ALOT lower priced than the one we really wanted. When the airline changed our schedule, I called and ask to be moved to the "better" flight and they gladly did so, without any further cost to me! Worked out great.

Of course, sometimes the change really works against your plans. In these cases, the airline may refund your money - this varies by airline and situation though. Just do not be afraid to call and ask.

I have a new booking. It's so far in advance I have not looked at flights yet. If I send it to a TA can I still opt for HAL's flights if I decide those are my best option when the time comes? Would the TA have to be an intermediary on flight questions or can HAL's air people help me directly?

I asked that question of a HAL reservationist. Unless your booking is direct with HAL your TA will have to be the intermediary to book HAL air. You could, however, book your air through HAL first if it's already available and then transfer everything to your TA. And then all contact with HAL would be through your TA.