Bringing food onto ship... Royal Caribbean

SetSailGreggy

I'm going on my first cruise with Royal Caribbean in January. My question is regarding bringing screwed back onto the ship after being at port. Does royal Caribbean allow you to bring prepackaged foods back onto the ship? Are you allowed to bring the food back to your cabin or do they go into lochia up as with alcohol purchases? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

You are allowed to "carry coals to Newcastle" (google it if you've not heard the phrase), and I see no reason why you can't bring food back onto the ship if you want to spend your money.

Makes more economic sense to take food off the ship, but many countries have strict regulations on the subject.

JB :)

Let me clarify the situation! My crews will be in Port in Key West. The next day, is my birthday! I am hoping to buy a treat for myself in Key West to have on my birthday. I'm thinking of a Caribbean rum cake! If it is prepackage, do you still think that I will be able to bring it onto the ship? Thank you to everyone who has already responded.

generally speaking: you can bring anything on board at any port. booze will/might be held until the last night. rum cakes DO NOT count as booze.

when it comes to leaving at the end of the cruise only prepackaged still factory sealed may be brought off.

as for rum cakes; you will have better selection to choose from in the islands as opposed to key west. ( but key lime pie mmmmmm) and yes the key lime rum cake is awesome, but my favorite is the ginger.

Tortuga is the brand most people are familiar with

Prepackaged foods may be taken off the ship again. You may bring pretty much any food ONTO the ship...but plants, veggies, meats and cheeses (some, not all) may not be taken into any port. Agricultural laws and such, designed to prevent unwanted pests from coming into a country that doesn't currently have those pests!

One thing to note (about bringing on food in general) is that not all cabins on all ships will have a fridge' date=' so if something needs to be kept cool, you should first check before your cruise. All Princess cabins will have a mini-fridge but that's not the case with some other lines.[/quote']

rum cake needs no refrigeration. and if you buy the small it is unlikely there will be any leftovers.

I'm going on my first cruise with Royal Caribbean in January. My question is regarding bringing screwed back onto the ship after being at port. Does royal Caribbean allow you to bring prepackaged foods back onto the ship? Are you allowed to bring the food back to your cabin or do they go into lochia up as with alcohol purchases? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

You can bring it back on the ship, and take it to your cabin. If it is prepackaged you can also take it off the ship when you arrive home as long as the packaging is not broken AND you declare it.

Let me clarify the situation! My crews will be in Port in Key West. The next day, is my birthday! I am hoping to buy a treat for myself in Key West to have on my birthday. I'm thinking of a Caribbean rum cake! If it is prepackage, do you still think that I will be able to bring it onto the ship? Thank you to everyone who has already responded.

Not a problem and if you want you can even buy the Tortuga Runmcakes on board.

Edited by zqvol

Guest maddycat

Only pre-packaged food and drinks can be brought on to the ship. We have seen many passengers who have tried to bring open containers of food and drinks back on board. Security stops them. They usually sit down on the dock to eat their food and finish their drinks. Once we saw a passenger with a large bag of prepared food just hand it over to one of the dock workers rather than throw it in the garbage.

Only pre-packaged food and drinks can be brought on to the ship. We have seen many passengers who have tried to bring open containers of food and drinks back on board. Security stops them. They usually sit down on the dock to eat their food and finish their drinks. Once we saw a passenger with a large bag of prepared food just hand it over to one of the dock workers rather than throw it in the garbage.

Must depend on the ship and port.

We've never had issues bringing obvious leftovers onboard. (Mom didn't want dinner onshore, we brought it back. Next time she went with us.) Our only issue has been the aforementioned crew wanting their 'cut'.

We also bring back pastries and such.

Only seen one port (Astoria, OR) where there was a sign saying not to bring any food back onboard.

Guest maddycat
Must depend on the ship and port.

We've never had issues bringing obvious leftovers onboard. (Mom didn't want dinner onshore, we brought it back. Next time she went with us.) Our only issue has been the aforementioned crew wanting their 'cut'.

We also bring back pastries and such.

Only seen one port (Astoria, OR) where there was a sign saying not to bring any food back onboard.

These were RCI ships. I'm not sure, but if I remember correctly, this happened in Puerto Rico.

I'm thinking of a Caribbean rum cake! If it is prepackage, do you still think that I will be able to bring it onto the ship? Thank you to everyone who has already responded.

We brought exactly this sealed cake on board the ship and back into the United States as a gift. It was a gift box with 6 (!) of those small cakes, different flavors.

I see no reason why you can't bring food back onto the ship if you want to spend your money.

I can give you one reason to spend your own money on food, though so much is available on the ship: My husband is diabetic, and sometimes he needs something to equalize his blood sugar RIGHT THIS MINUTE. Peanut butter crackers work great, but they're not available onboard. He also likes carrying a pack or two when we go ashore. Of course, this isn't something that applies to everyone, but it's important to him to have something he knows will work in the cabin at all times.

I'm thinking of a Caribbean rum cake! If it is prepackage, do you still think that I will be able to bring it onto the ship? Thank you to everyone who has already responded.

I wouldn't bother with a rum cake. They sell them at the grocery store here in my mid-sized town -- yep, same Tortuga rum cakes, same packaging. If your plan is to bring the cake back home, I wouldn't bother.

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, Pogitalaga said:

If I buy fruits in a port, will I be allowed to bring it back with me on the ship?

Technically, no.  Can you get it past security, likely.  The USPH regulations require all food onboard to be from verified sources and the condition on "receipt onboard" to be within specifications, especially with "potentially hazardous foods" like fruits.