Uniworld Question - Clothing for Special Onboard Events.

Roz

The quote below is taken directly from the info Uniworld sent me:

"For evenings, any resort-type wear is perfectly suitable; however, we do ask that you not wear shorts to dinner. Men may want to bring one sport jacket for dressier restaurant venues and for special events onboard such as the Captain’s Welcome and Farewell festivities. Women find that a cocktail dress or two always comes in handy no matter the destination."

Do ladies wear dresses to these events, or would black pants and a dressy top be appropriate? What has been your experience?

Roz

Roz,

You know the people pictured in the glossy brochure and depicted in the videos...never saw them on our Uniworld cruises. :D Maybe they just cruise in the summertime and we only cruise in the spring, fall and winter. :D

We've only seen real people who love to travel and are not too concerned about dressing a certain way. They have all been neat and tidy. Yes, some wear jeans to dinner (me), but my jeans are black, not faded and tattered. And if you are sitting at my table you have no idea what is on my lower body.

Wear what you are comfortable in and yes, bring a pretty top, scarf, costume jewellery to glam up...if you want. If hubby doesn't want to wear a jacket and tie, no biggie, a button down shirt is fine.

On one of our Grand Christmas and New Year's cruises we saw everything from long evening gowns, to slacks and sparkly tops on the women and tails to shirt and jumper (sweater) on the men at the palace for the New Year's Eve festivities. We all had fun.

Have a great cruise!

I wore a black cocktail dress to the captain's cocktail party/dinner. I wanted to dress up, because I like dressing up for nice dinners. Black pants and a decent shirt would be fine. Some older gentleman did come over to us in the lounge and tell my husband he was lucky to have the best-dressed woman on his arm.... but that might be because the booze was always free-flowing. :)

We actually saw those people this last May when we were on the Maria Theresa sailing from Budapest to Amsterdam. The actors and actresses were on board to film commercials. They did dress up for the videos and photos that were being shot.

Pants and a dressy top will be fine. On our first Uniworld cruise every man except 2 had on sports jackets, way fewer on our second.
I have done European river cruises in every month fron March to December. In cooler months I bring a sport coat as an extra layer of warmth, and if I have it, I wear it to "special occasions". In warmer months the blazer stays home, and I've never felt out of place. "Nice Casual" is the norm; you'll be right with the crowd.

Thom

Just got off the River Ambassador. Clothing very, very casual. I felt overdressed in black trousers and nice tops. Many men were in jeans and polo shirts for dinner, just as they had been during the day. The Brits (4 of us) and the Aussies (about 26) were the smartest dressed in the evenings.

I appreciate all the first hand observations and insights. I'm American and would be the first to say a lot of us are way too casual. When I'm on a cruise ship and see a man in the dining room wearing a ball cap (first offense) backwards (second offense), I want to cringe.

This question has nothing to do with evening wear. If I wear my running/walking shoes (New Balance) during the day for shorex, will I stick out like a tourista, or should I not concern myself with that and just worry about comfort? I'm concerned that maybe that type of footwear will be being considered too sporty or casual for places like downtown Budapest and Vienna.

I remember being in Paris as a young woman in 1984, and feeling frumpy compared to the very slim, stylish Parisiennes.

Roz

I appreciate all the first hand observations and insights. I'm American and would be the first to say a lot of us are way too casual. When I'm on a cruise ship and see a man in the dining room wearing a ball cap (first offense) backwards (second offense), I want to cringe.

This question has nothing to do with evening wear. If I wear my running/walking shoes (New Balance) during the day for shorex, will I stick out like a tourista, or should I not concern myself with that and just worry about comfort? I'm concerned that maybe that type of footwear will be being considered too sporty or casual for places like downtown Budapest and Vienna.

I remember being in Paris as a young woman in 1984, and feeling frumpy compared to the very slim, stylish Parisiennes.

Roz

DW and I were not impressed by the stylishness of the Parisiennes this week, but we were struck by the slimness [no, make that gauntness] which seemed linked to a very high smoking rate among young women. Madrid remains the winner for stylish and healthy-looking young people in our experience.

As to comfortable walking shoes, our iPhone app showed that we walked around 10 miles everyday in Paris (despite going through 3 carnets de dix in 4 days) -- so I would advise thinking of them as a basic necessity, fashion be damned. No matter what you do, you will look like an American tourist -- there's something about our cultural DNA that just sticks out. Better to be a happy American tourist than one with bloody feet!

Thanks, Host Jazzbeau. On another thread I was advised to bring waterproof shoes, but I'm concerned they won't be comfortable enough for walking long distances. I walk a lot at home, and haven't found anything better than a good pair of athletic shoes designed for really pounding the pavement, not to mention the cobblestones.

I brought 2 pairs of running shoes with me on my first cruise, which was to Alaska. It rained the entire time, and even though my shoes weren't waterproof, my feet weren't soaked and was able to wear one pair while the other dried.

As everyone's aware, shoes take up space and weight in a suitcase, so I'm trying to figure out the best combination.

Roz

Thanks, Host Jazzbeau. On another thread I was advised to bring waterproof shoes, but I'm concerned they won't be comfortable enough for walking long distances. I walk a lot at home, and haven't found anything better than a good pair of athletic shoes designed for really pounding the pavement, not to mention the cobblestones.

I brought 2 pairs of running shoes with me on my first cruise, which was to Alaska. It rained the entire time, and even though my shoes weren't waterproof, my feet weren't soaked and was able to wear one pair while the other dried.

As everyone's aware, shoes take up space and weight in a suitcase, so I'm trying to figure out the best combination.

Roz

Wear your running shoes - your feet will appreciate them after walking on cobblestones for hours! Don't worry about standing out - in most of the towns we stopped at on our Budapest to Amsterdam cruise on Uniworld last month tourists greatly outnumbered the locals and running shoes were everywhere.

You can waterproof running shoes yourself by using a waterproofing spray available in the shoe department (with laces, polishes, etc.) or camping department of most big box stores or on Amazon. Save your 'nice' shoes for cocktail hour and dinners on the ship.

Wear your running shoes - your feet will appreciate them after walking on cobblestones for hours! Don't worry about standing out - in most of the towns we stopped at on our Budapest to Amsterdam cruise on Uniworld last month tourists greatly outnumbered the locals and running shoes were everywhere.

You can waterproof running shoes yourself by using a waterproofing spray available in the shoe department (with laces, polishes, etc.) or camping department of most big box stores or on Amazon. Save your 'nice' shoes for cocktail hour and dinners on the ship.

Ditto that! I took two pair of Nike's and was glad that I did. First, so I could change off if/when one pair started getting uncomfortable and also so I could switch if one pair got wet (which they did when it literally poured on the first full day of our tours!). I also took along a pair of Merrell slip-on shoes (as did my husband).

With the running shoes, next time I plan to add inserts to help with cushioning against the cobblestones; I hadn't realized how much I would feel them through my thin-soled shoes.

Roz

Yes, they do! :)

We have gradually reduced the number and size of the shoes we take along on our trips. It makes a huge difference in the amount of luggage that you must "lug" along with you! We walk and take public transportation a lot, so it's crucial to limit your bag's size and weight.

For our last 10-day trip to Germany we managed with all carry-on. I took only one pair of shoes - black leather Skechers. They are comfortable for walking, even on cobblestones, up to 10 miles a day, and they even work for light hiking. Chris took two pairs - one set of lavender Merrels that look like dressy sneakers, for walking longer distances, and a pair of black flats if she wanted to wear something dressier at night. Considering that we wore two pairs of shoes on the plane, that left only the tiny black flats to pack in our luggage.

But we have no illusions that we will pass off as Europeans just because we don't wear white sneakers. I can see the locals now...gee, two people with a guidebook and cameras - let's look at their shoes to see if they're American tourists! ;)

Jazzbeau is right; make sure that your shoes are comfortable first and foremost. The shoes you wear will not be the thing that makes you fit in, and if they make your feet hurt, that's doubly not worth it. Roz - if you go to Europe, you will be a tourist. If you can be efficient and minimize space, go for it.

Salomon and others make goretex running shoes. I have a black pair, that don't scream loud American. They are extremely comfortable, and durable. Not cheap, but then nothing with Goretex is.

We did 16 days in 2008 with 2 small carry on bags, a small cooler (six pack size and crushable) and 2 small backpacks. Of course, this was on a European Delivery trip, where we bought my wife a two seat convertible with a small trunk....

We will take two less than 40 pound suitcases this November with 2 small backpacks and the crushable cooler. The cooler comes in handy when you are travelling in your own car, as you can stop at a grocery store, buy lunch items, cheeses, meats and crackers, and save a lot of money and time over eating out all of the meals.

jc

I don't subscribe to the packing light club. I took 2 pairs of Merrill walking shoes -- identical last, but one is gore tex and the other not. Both breathe well and are light weight for walking shoes, and they fit me the same. In addition I packed one pair of dressy shoes for evenings on the ship [more to give my feet a rest than for dress-up :)] and one pair of boat shoes [which got very little use because it was cool for most of our trip so I never went on the sun deck].

PS -- Al Gore didn't invent the internet, and he didn't even invent waterproof clothing!

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

It's critical that you take comfortable walking shoes that you have broken in at home. On our Budapest to Amsterdam cruise we did a huge amount of walking over uneven cobblestone streets. Your feet will take a beating without the proper shoes. Don't worry about looking stylish, comfort is the priority.

I didn't see anyone in jeans in the dining room on our Uniworld cruise in August, and there were quite a few very dressed up ladies. I alternated between black slacks or a long black skirt with print tops, and two lightweight dresses. Many women wore dresses or skirts to dinner.

I brought four pairs of shoes--two pairs of Vionic sandals in which I could walk for miles but also wear for dinner, a pair of Vionic walking shoes, and a pair of running shoes, which I used both in the gym and when biking. My husband ended up wearing his flips flops almost the whole time because he got a blister from his old sneakers on the first day! He said his feet were fine, but he's also not a complainer. I think my feet would have gotten tired after a couple miles had I not been wearing supportive shoes.