Late Night Room Service Fee?

cle-guy

The fee starting at 6am could be a problem for us. A few times we have had early port calls and used room service to get more protein than the continental breakfast offered in the buffet.

It's my understanding this fee only applies for room service delivered between 11pm and 6am; therefore, room service delivered at or after 6am wouldn't have the fee.

Edited by lovemylab

Does anyone have a list of the pay extra items ? I was wondering about the special cheese platter and what is the price.

We had the special cheese platter, it was from Murano, and I believe it was approximately $12. Definitely worth it, we ordered and took with us to Cellarmasters to enjoy with a wine before dinner :)

Just serves an another irritant to the cruiser.

Can't be a great new revenue producer. Maybe it serves as a deterrent to late night room service.

Just went to Celebrity website. Stated that there is a $3.95 charge for room service between 11 pm and 6 am. Room service seems to be free for all cat. for other times. How much revenue can this generate? Not a huge charge -just the idea of an extra charge added on. Celebrity, are you sure you want to do this? It's a real turnoff. What's next????

Wow, not only is it now suddenly $5, it also is only waived for Suites (not also CC & AQ.)

Come on, Celebrity, get your act together with this nickel-and-dime nonsense. If you insist on penny-pinching like this, your customers deserve to know the right information, the first time.

Interesting. When I click that link now, the fee is $4.95.

Guess they're fine tuning the new process.

Wow, you're right. Glad I posted the text! So to post for posterity here it is today as you noted:

24-hour in-stateroom dining

Perhaps a day of kayaking, shopping or golfing has you feeling pleasantly languid. Or, was it the afternoon spent relaxing with a novel that has you so serene? Either way, when you're in the mood to relax and dine in the comfort of your stateroom, Celebrity offers 24-hour in-stateroom dining. The service is complimentary, except when ordered between 11 PM and 6 AM when there is a $4.95 fee per room service order. For Suite guests, it’s complimentary 24 hours a day

Versus September 15:

24-hour in-stateroom dining

Perhaps a day of kayaking, shopping or golfing has you feeling pleasantly languid. Or, was it the afternoon spent relaxing with a novel that has you so serene? Either way, when you're in the mood to relax and dine in the comfort of your stateroom, Celebrity offers 24-hour in-stateroom dining. The service is complimentary, except when ordered between 11 PM and 6 AM when there is a $3.95 fee per room service order.

Edited by cle-guy

Just serves an another irritant to the cruiser.

Can't be a great new revenue producer. Maybe it serves as a deterrent to late night room service.

I just don't think it fit's the X brand... my STBX would just like a glass a milk or a light snack.. it would be more midnight or 1....

11 is too early to be charging...IMHO

CC

I just don't think it fit's the X brand... my STBX would just like a glass a milk or a light snack.. it would be more midnight or 1....

11 is too early to be charging...IMHO

CC

They could be opening a bigger can of worms than anticipated here.

Note that the text refers to "when ordered" between 11pm & 6AM.

Any given ship could interpret the charge to include all breakfast orders placed by those door hang tags, no matter what time delivery is requested.

...Celebrity offers 24-hour in-stateroom dining. The service is complimentary, except when ordered between 11 PM and 6 AM when there is a $4.95 fee per room service order. For Suite guests, it’s complimentary 24 hours a day

I hope they reconsider. This does not fit in with their Modern Luxury marketing tag.

If Celebrity insists on shooting themselves in the foot this way, at the very least they should reduce the hours for charging.

Midnight or 1 AM is the very earliest I would think they should consider charging. As far as breakfast, they should allow delivery at least 1 1/2 hrs before port time.

At the very least, Celebrity should remove ALL references to "24-hr in-stateroom dining"!

Jane

PS I see there is still text on that same web page about breakfast. It says:

"The most important meal of the day.

Why not have breakfast served to you on your own private veranda? Morning meals include Continental or Full Breakfast served, on request, in your stateroom. Check room service card for hours."

I guess we'll have to check the room service cards before finding out availability (and cost?)

Edited by JaneStarr
To add info

The fee starting at 6am could be a problem for us. A few times we have had early port calls and used room service to get more protein than the continental breakfast offered in the buffet.

Is 6:15 am instead of 6:00 am that great of a difference? Work the system people. Lol

Just another sign of a cruise within a cruise and only getting what you are willing to pay for. For all people booked in steerage you get to have the Carnival experience. For all others you get treated like a Celebrity. This move is not going to sit well with their bread and butter cruisers who are bound to take their cruise dollars elsewhere if Celebrity is going to be nothing special and nickel and dime them.

I would rather they hold their fares a little higher and go all inclusive rather than compete for every possible passenger. How long before the ship is totally segregated into suite passengers and "others". Seems a little 60's to me.

Is 6:15 am instead of 6:00 am that great of a difference? Work the system people. Lol

The breakfast order hang-tag on our 8/1 cruise let you choose only in 1/2 hour increments. With an early port call, we need to get breakfast before the 6:30 to 7 AM slot. I'm betting they will still honor the 6 to 6:30 AM breakfast as free, if it's still available on the order card.

That being said, this is more a matter of principal with me. I just don't like the concept or the lack of transparent implementation.

Jane

What time do the other breakfast outlets (Ocean view, MDR, Blu) open for service?

Are alternate complimentary options where someone is able to have early morning breakfasts or is the only option a paid room service. To a lesser extent the same question applies to late night snacks

Sent from my Lenovo A7000-a using Tapatalk

The fact remains. A person shouldn't have to "work the system". To me, it's and irritant and irritants don't make for happy cruisers.

The fact remains. A person shouldn't have to "work the system". To me, it's and irritant and irritants don't make for happy cruisers.

To me it's just one of the many upsells on the ship. Celebrity is no different than any of the other mass market lines. Specialty Restaurants, premium drink package, cover charge entertainment the list goes on.

The best times seems to be gone. Can not think of anything positive X has introduced the last 5 years, except the first 4 S-Class ships. Even they became a soulless selling machine by removing the majority entertainment team, the live music or some nice culinary delights like fruit and ice cream buffet under the stars and dessert extravaganza

Also removed is in-room water pitcher, the dramatic price increase on specialty dining venues.

Thankful for X that not everybody will know and remember how good the used to be. For someone coming over from MSC or Costa this might be a premium experience; we are moving towards Oceania and others. Btw, not because of the installed room service fee :)

We've never used room service during this time frame on Celebrity or any other cruise line, so it has no direct impact on us. However, as much as we love the ships and the itineraries, this constant nickel-and-diming is starting to annoy us. For many years, we enjoyed staying at all-inclusive resorts and all we had to pay was the fixed price based on accommodation. We do enjoy cruising, but the constant need to pay extra for an ever-growing list of items is very tiresome.

This isn't an upsale at all. It's the opposite...they want to discourage middle of the night room service, not get more people to try it. Having staff available to whip up and deliver food during the middle of the night costs them money. If it discourages room service during these hours then the charge will have done its job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like celebrity.

I don't think I've ever ordered room service during those hours.

BUT

This just the sort of idiotic nickel and dimming that will make me take my cruise $ elsewhere.

Which would you rather, a fee for late night room service or a cut in other services/quality?