Everything.. Norwegian JOY! Delivery spring 2017

FreestyleNovice

I'm getting the sense that this ship will have little appeal to a typical Westerner, as it is being so heavily customized for a Chinese sensibility. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) But if I'm contemplating an Asian cruise, Norwegian Joy doesn't seem to be the ship that will be taking me there.

Perhaps when NCL releases more information we'll get a better sense of the likelihood of an existing NCL passenger caring about or looking to sail this new ship. But as it is, they've even changed the name of the company. So I'm guessing there isn't too much point getting excited about all this.

Crunching the numbers;

Norwegian Escape, BA+, 5218pax

Norwegian Getaway, BA, 4819pax

Norwegian Joy, BA+, 3900pax

Genting Dream, BA, 3400pax

Is it just me feeling that 喜悦号 (Xǐ Yuè Hào), oh sorry, NCL Joy is getting close to Genting Dream, which should be the most exclusive one of the two?

I'm getting the sense that this ship will have little appeal to a typical Westerner, as it is being so heavily customized for a Chinese sensibility. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) But if I'm contemplating an Asian cruise, Norwegian Joy doesn't seem to be the ship that will be taking me there.

Perhaps when NCL releases more information we'll get a better sense of the likelihood of an existing NCL passenger caring about or looking to sail this new ship. But as it is, they've even changed the name of the company. So I'm guessing there isn't too much point getting excited about all this.

Very true but following this build should be an insight to the third and fourth BA Plus ships.

A short taster might be an option for us Europeans, starting in Germany.

So you think they Will fill the ship with 3900 chinese on the répo from Europe To china ?

Haha, no waaay. My bet on the repo is that there will be work done whilst underway so no revenue.. No need to tour the Western travel agents on this ship = also no tasters for us. Unfortunately. :)

Although I would book a short taster on her from Germany, just to see the Asian NCL product!

Haha, no waaay. My bet on the repo is that there will be work done whilst underway so no revenue.. No need to tour the Western travel agents on this ship = also no tasters for us. Unfortunately. :)

Although I would book a short taster on her from Germany, just to see the Asian NCL product!

I don't usually disagree with you, but I have to express my hope that there will be some pre-China trips.... like Germany - Barcelona, and Dubai to Singapore, etc. I can't imagine why they'd give up such an opportunity.

Stephen

I don't usually disagree with you, but I have to express my hope that there will be some pre-China trips.... like Germany - Barcelona, and Dubai to Singapore, etc. I can't imagine why they'd give up such an opportunity.

Stephen

Hoping that too, but taken from a business point of view (which most have a benefit if NCL would do revenue cruises of course):

Why bother the (Asian/Mandarin) staff with us Westerns for "a few days"? There's no need to show the ship to European travel agents so it can directly to Asia for her christening and in to service, NCL is already late to the party in every meaning lol.

Meyer Werft's current pace is incredibly fast, take out the press/industry and the 2-3 tasters and save a week.

Hopefully they will offer some, perhaps from the Med and onwards (flying back all the contractors can also get expensive heh :D ).. an maybe I'm just a bit on the fence about no tasters or even bookings on her sister Genting Dream which is set to sail in about 7 months(!). :)

edit; no factual information here, just an impression or (miss)educated guess ;)

Edited by FreestyleNovice

This thread title should be updated once again to Norwegian Joy!

Don't count on CC staff, I did two requests by email for a change on the Everything Genting Dream thread title: nothing.. even the apparent censorship on the Dream Cruise Line website url is still active. Bummer.

Don't count on CC staff, I did two requests by email for a change on the Everything Genting Dream thread title: nothing.. even the apparent censorship on the Dream Cruise Line website url is still active. Bummer.

Well that sucks. Can you do a request by using the report thread button? Those tend to get quick responses.

Crunching the numbers;

Norwegian Escape, BA+, 5218pax

Norwegian Getaway, BA, 4819pax

Norwegian Joy, BA+, 3900pax

Genting Dream, BA, 3400pax

Is it just me feeling that 喜悦号 (Xǐ Yuè Hào), oh sorry, NCL Joy is getting close to Genting Dream, which should be the most exclusive one of the two?

You've listed max occupancy for Getaway and Escape, but double occupancy for Joy and Dream, so your numbers are off somewhat. If you figure the double occupancy of Getaway and Escape is roughly 3,900 and 4,200, the difference is much less drastic.

You've listed max occupancy for Getaway and Escape, but double occupancy for Joy and Dream, so your numbers are off somewhat. If you figure the double occupancy of Getaway and Escape is roughly 3,900 and 4,200, the difference is much less drastic.

Ah, I see.. my bad, had some trouble copy pasting the format/rows into plain text here. :D

A good general rule of thumb regarding passenger capacity is to just look at the number of lifeboats and tender boats incorporated into the design. Dream will have the same number of boats as Breakaway, so while overall max capacity may be lower, the difference will probably be less than 600 passengers. Most of these ships will add up to about 5,000 passengers, give or take.

Joy is somewhat more difficult to gauge, because her rendering shows two fewer boats. From what I understand, this is not merely artistic license, but I'm also not clear as to whether this will mean lower max passenger capacity (greater than 600) or the use of new, larger boats. It's probably the latter, but you never know.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...