Everything.. Norwegian JOY! Delivery spring 2017

FreestyleNovice

So it looks like she will have 6 instead of Escape's 4. Maybe this means people will actually have a shot at getting in one at some point on their cruise. LOL

Had no problem getting in one with friends at the first revenue sailing of Breakaway during sailaway at Spice. Maybe because it was 55 degrees F, a chill and slightly rainy day in april somewhere in a tiny country in Europe. :D

Hull art artist will be Chinese too!

SHANGHAI — In the closing minutes of Travel Weekly’s CruiseWorld China today, Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings CEO Frank Del Rio revealed to 300 Chinese travel agents — and, also in attendance, Carnival Corp. CEO Arnold Donald, MSC CEO Gianni Onorato and Carnival Cruise Line President Christine Duffy — that Norwegian was going to build a ship “with an unrivaled level of customization specifically for the Chinese consumer."

The unnamed ship will head for an unnamed homeport “in the summer of 2017,” Del Rio said.

The ship will be the “largest and grandest” and “most innovative” in the Chinese market today,” he said. “The level of customization goes way beyond the physical design of the ship. Working with our partners in China and local experts on the subtleties of Chinese culture, [we] will provide our guests … with an overall experience that is simply not available today.”

The 4,200-passenger ship will be the second in the Breakaway Plus class, Norwegian said (the first, the Norwegian Escape, will be delivered next week, and the company has two additional ships on order). Del Rio said the China-based ship would represent “10% of Norwegian’s total worldwide capacity.”

He added that, like other recent Norwegian ships, the hull would be painted by a famous artist, but this time a revered Chinese artist.

Norwegian also said it today opened a Shanghai office in Xintiandi, which joins offices in Beijing and Hong Kong. The offices support Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises.

Del Rio made clear that his lack of providing a list of details wasn’t because he was holding back; rather, he solicited input from CruiseWorld China attendees to help bring shape to the ship. “With much to do over the next 18 months, we will continue to seek your input and assistance in our product development and our itinerary building” to create an experience that is “authentically Norwegian Cruise Line and distinctively Chinese in all its sensibilities.”

He closed by promising that “we’ll have more to share with you in the coming months,” including a “few surprises.”

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Norwegian-to-build-a-ship-for-China-market

Had no problem getting in one with friends at the first revenue sailing of Breakaway during sailaway at Spice. Maybe because it was 55 degrees F, a chill and slightly rainy day in april somewhere in a tiny country in Europe. :D

Ha! I plan to be brave like that leaving Southampton in the cold. I keep thinking these cantilevered ones will be in more high demand.

* Disclaimer: it is not a verifiable fact at this point in time that it will be cold when I leave Southampton. It is merely an educated guess.

Edited by LrgPizza

Seashark, come on, the Everything thread is to speculate about things to come, from the press release it's obvious signage will be in Chinese. Don't take the fun out this thread by discussing something that doesn't matters nor contributes to the thread. Thanks.

What? Now you want to jump on me as well? :confused: Must be a slow day!

There is nothing wrong with speculation...nothing at all. I simply believe that speculation should be labeled as such so as not to confuse people looking for facts. I believe that we should do our best to provide factual information to everyone who comes to Cruise Critic. It's what we want from PCCs, Phone Reps, and TAs...we should be willing to do the same. Is that really so wrong?

I just don't get why I can't have my belief without a bunch of people trying to berate me and attempt to get me to change my mind over it. It seems that certain people have something against a person wanting facts. :rolleyes:

I don't care which port it is as long as it is Florida lol

It isn't. So sad.

On the other hand, in Beijing most signs are in Chinese and English. This sign at the Beijing airport reminded me at the time, of the US Senator and the Minneapolis airport.

P1030750_zpsx7epjspz.jpg [/url]

Stephen

Edited by sjbdtz

I think the mods are cleaning up btw. I am not jumping anyone and thought I brought it in a polite manner. :)

I do understand your point of view, the same with LP's point of view. In the spirit of this topic certain well and certain less educated guesses will be made, especially in the first few weeks when a ship is being announced or shown on renders. It's all within our shared common interest and passion, cruising. And our mixed personalities should make a great and fun footprint on a great thread like this one instead of arguing over how something is being interpreted or speculated. Life is way too short to sweat the small stuff is how you say it right? :)

I'd like to point out that the rendering NCL attached to their new announcement shows a ship that is radically different from both Breakaway and Escape. It also includes the inboard lifeboats that I discussed previously here that were developed for possible West Coast deployments for future ships. The fewer number of lifeboats also suggests a lower max passenger capacity.

1c92bca6bcda1779eafe22f5ba9810bb_XL.jpg

Hopefully Escape III or IV will be a west coast ship designed to visit Alaska and this is a preview.

Andy Stuart does monthly webinars ( I didn't know this) and someone has said on a "Bliss" FB page that he announced that the ship will be going straight to China so no European sailings at all :(

I hope this is not the case & they change their minds for at least a few preview sailings!

Andy Stuart does monthly webinars ( I didn't know this) and someone has said on a "Bliss" FB page that he announced that the ship will be going straight to China so no European sailings at all :(

I hope this is not the case & they change their minds for at least a few preview sailings!

I think it's very probable that American guests would not be comfortable aboard a ship with as much Chinese customization as this one will have.

I think it's very probable that American guests would not be comfortable aboard a ship with as much Chinese customization as this one will have.

Probably not but some of us in Europe would still have a go in sailing on her and making sure she's ok & of course testing out the food! :)

Hopefully Escape III or IV will be a west coast ship designed to visit Alaska and this is a preview.

I think that this is very possible. NCL doesn't like keeping ships in the Caribbean during the summer season, but they have been forced with Getaway and now Escape. They will either move the Epic back to Europe during the summers or have one of the -away plus ship going to Europe during the summer season.

Well, if they are in a hurry and not looking for some fare paying European guinea pigs... ;)

Would be sad if she does take off to China directly!

Well, if they are in a hurry and not looking for some fare paying European guinea pigs... ;)

Would be sad if she does take off to China directly!

Those were my thoughts exactly Freestyle!

Oh well, we shall just have to make do on the Escape!!! ;)

Even if she's going "straight to China," she'll have to make it through the Mediterranean to the Suez Canal, and then down along the Middle East and India. That's a very long way to go, and at the very least she'll need to stop several times to replenish and refuel. I doubt that they won't take the opportunity to sell at least a portion of that as a repositioning cruise. Otherwise, that's a lot of potential $$$ being thrown down the drain.

Hull art artist will be Chinese too!

I would love it if it were Alexander Chen. He is native Chinese but a transplant to the US. I really admire his unique style art, and I think it would look good painted on a hull.

Those were my thoughts exactly Freestyle!

Oh well, we shall just have to make do on the Escape!!! ;)

Genting World (a luxurious Breakaway class ship for Star Cruises) will be build ahead of the former Bliss ship at Meyer. Which will be an unique ship with mini submarines, costs a lot more than Breakaway did, less pax, more luxury.. but not NCL so "the lesser option" heheh!

Even if she's going "straight to China," she'll have to make it through the Mediterranean to the Suez Canal, and then down along the Middle East and India. That's a very long way to go, and at the very least she'll need to stop several times to replenish and refuel. I doubt that they won't take the opportunity to sell at least a portion of that as a repositioning cruise. Otherwise, that's a lot of potential $$$ being thrown down the drain.

When Oceania Insignia had an engine fire last December, causing the 1st world Cruise to cancel the segments from Miami to Singapore, she was towed to San Juan PR for repairs that took 11 weeks. Her household crew had been sent home for vacation. She then sailed empty to Singapore, where she picked up the crew members and re-provisioned for passengers.

I suspect it will be similar for the new ship, waiting until China to embark the crew (who will be primarily Chinese speakers) and taking aboard the provisions, which will cater to Chinese tastes.

I suspect there will be a christening cruise in China to introduce her to Chinese travel professionals and VIPs, by invitation only. Then she will sail her maiden voyage.

Edited by hondorner

When Oceania Insignia had an engine fire last December, causing the 1st world Cruise to cancel the segments from Miami to Singapore, she was towed to San Juan PR for repairs that took 11 weeks. Her household crew had been sent home for vacation. She then sailed empty to Singapore, where she picked up the crew members and re-provisioned for passengers.

I suspect it will be similar for the new ship, waiting until China to embark the crew (who will be primarily Chinese speakers) and taking aboard the provisions, which will cater to Chinese tastes.

I suspect there will be a christening cruise in China to introduce her to Chinese travel professionals and VIPs, by invitation only. Then she will sail her maiden voyage.

That’s an extremely different type of scenario. Estimating the amount of time necessary to return a ship to service after a major accident is hard to calculate. In that case, it makes sense to cancel the segment and hope there’s sufficient time to get back to the original itinerary before the start of the next segment. Planning a new itinerary to sell in the meantime, including a hasty repositioning cruise, is largely out of the question.

Bringing a new ship out is different. Shipyards are penalized substantially for missing the delivery deadline set far ahead of time. Since the ships are typically ready by the specified date, that allows for itinerary planning. The issue with boarding crew in China would be that there would need to be a buffer period for crew training and familiarization before commencing service. That typically occurs concurrent with the shipyard’s finishing work, so waiting until China would set a schedule back a bit. Provisioning is a non-issue.

Of course, your scenario is plausible, but I think it's unlikely. The chance to save time (and money) to get the crew more quickly familiarized with the ship, plus some passenger revenue to offset the millions of dollars worth of fuel required for the journey, would be difficult for any bean counter to pass up.

RCI prices on their relocs through the canal this year got very low.

NCl have the Star doing the run first so can assess the potential for the ship(previously known as Bliss) as a revenue generator for the run.

They have the other option to schedule finishing work on the trip.

Or maybe market the relocation to the Chinese market, depending how far the changes go their is likley to be a limited appeal to western cruisers.

Gotta wonder what is going on in the port at Hong Kong. Royal Caribbean only has one cruise leaving out of Hong Kong in 2016, a repo cruise to Australia in October, and I have read some terrible reviews of passengers waiting 3 hours to board ships smaller than the Breakaway Plus class this year. Will be interested to read how it goes for the Star. One would expect some problems using a port for the first time, but RCCL has been using Hong Kong for some years. Perhaps the new Breakaway Plus ship will be based out of a mainland China port.

Norwegian china, where crusing meets red communism lol. At least there will only be one child per family on the cruise lol.

Ignorance is (truly) bliss.

The next leading space power, world's second largest economic power, the largest army in the world, more millionaires than the US, cruise market shows some 15% growth every year.. etc etc.