Azura - New Improved Embarkation Process

FAB1

Hi All

Am back from our two night break at the weekend. More on that later, but first our experience re embarkation.

We had an embarkation time of 12.30 and we arrived about 12 15. There were two desks as Florry reported - a Priority one for Suites and Ligurian, Baltic and Caribbean tiers.

For the mini-suites we were given a Fast Track card (black) and told we could proceed straight to check in. We were fast tracked to the check in desk with the shortest queue and were very soon going through security and were on board not long after 12 30. We went straight into lunch almost immediately as our cabins were not quite ready.

For disembarking, we had to go to our Muster station where we were told we could go about 9 15am.

So for us, all went very well, but I do realise we were lucky with an early time because of the suite, but I have to say that we heard no complaints at all about the embarkation procedure from anyone on board, in fact people were saying how smoothly it had all gone.

Also, I accept that the arrangements for a 2 night cruise may be different than for a 'real' cruise, for one thing people have a lot less luggage to give in, but thought I would let you know how it went anyway.

Scriv

Glad to hear it all went well Scriv and you enjoyed your cruise. Welcome back:)

Well, being a moderator on 2 of the largest I have to read them. On the longest one it was generally 4/5 people making the same point again and again. With a much larger group saying that they looked forward to easier embarkation. One lady posted a picture of the chaos on one embarkation, only it showed the seating half empty and no more milling around than has happened for years

I did see the half empty picture, hahaha:D

We are probably on different facebook groups, there are lots out there, as there have been much more gripes than looking forward to, in fact the threads I have been reading were passengers dreading it.:eek:

There have been a few in the last few days that have had no problems, so fingers crossed.

I am a member of 6 different cruise forums and a regular (if infrequent poster) on 3 p&o Facebook groups and the official Facebook page itself. I was also on the very first cruise (Azura, 3 October) that started the fleet-wide roll out of the new process.

Having since followed all the posts on this subject on all of the above media (including those posts quickly deleted by p&o on their own Facebook page) I have concluded the following ;

- other than their Facebook page p&o have offered no communication of this change of embarkation procedure aside from a slight tweaking of the wording on the Etickets.

- those posting negatively on their actual experience of the new embarkation procedure outnumber those posting positively. Such posts were initially on a negative to positive ratio of 4 to 1. This ratio has reduced over the last month but across all the media listed above the negative comments of actual experience still outnumber the positive by just over 2 to 1.

- the vast majority of those who posted positively about the new embarkation process had check in times of 2pm or before. Those who posted negatively appear to have had the whole range of check in times right up until 3.30pm, and in one case 4.30pm.

- p&o's ongoing addressing of queries, especially by phone, appears to have been confused and inconsistent. For example, After weeks of saying Caribbean members only have priority within their allocated time slot, a new post today says p&o have now confirmed that Caribbean and Baltic members will once again have immediate/early boarding alongside suite and Ligurian members.

Just my observations but drawn from a wide range of sources to give an accurate picture.

Thankyou for the information as this is how I have interpreted it over the last month. It does seem the early embarkation times have had the best deal.

Returned today, from two weeks on aurora. Arrived at mayflower terminal

At one forty five. Ticket said two thirty.there were many people sitting

And waiting.so was not too confident.lady gave me an h card.

Said sit over there. Straight after, she saw a position at check in

Vacant. Go there she said, oh joy, I thought! Two minutes, another two minutes

Through security. The lift was broken, so had to board from the keyside.

Returning today, buisiness as usual. The elevated walkway in position.

The new large lift, working. Just the usual fun of finding the bags!

I am a member of 6 different cruise forums and a regular (if infrequent poster) on 3 p&o Facebook groups and the official Facebook page itself. I was also on the very first cruise (Azura, 3 October) that started the fleet-wide roll out of the new process.

Having since followed all the posts on this subject on all of the above media (including those posts quickly deleted by p&o on their own Facebook page) I have concluded the following ;

- other than their Facebook page p&o have offered no communication of this change of embarkation procedure aside from a slight tweaking of the wording on the Etickets.

- those posting negatively on their actual experience of the new embarkation procedure outnumber those posting positively. Such posts were initially on a negative to positive ratio of 4 to 1. This ratio has reduced over the last month but across all the media listed above the negative comments of actual experience still outnumber the positive by just over 2 to 1.

- the vast majority of those who posted positively about the new embarkation process had check in times of 2pm or before. Those who posted negatively appear to have had the whole range of check in times right up until 3.30pm, and in one case 4.30pm.

- p&o's ongoing addressing of queries, especially by phone, appears to have been confused and inconsistent. For example, After weeks of saying Caribbean members only have priority within their allocated time slot, a new post today says p&o have now confirmed that Caribbean and Baltic members will once again have immediate/early boarding alongside suite and Ligurian members.

Just my observations but drawn from a wide range of sources to give an accurate picture.

Hi, this was your first post on here and a good one in my books.

Thanks for the information.

Have to say as someone who was thinking of revisiting Celebrity I have just discovered that they are doing away with the formal nights, so the later boarding times don't seem as bad now ! (But that is another thread ;)

Can you tell me where the post is that says that the early boarding has been re-introduced? I've not been able to see anything like that

Can you tell me where the post is that says that the early boarding has been re-introduced? I've not been able to see anything like that

Me neither - Moon-raker, please could you point us in the direction of this post?

I think the post is merely referring to someone's perception at their time of boarding, rather than something which has come from official P&O channels. I know I read a post the other day where somebody said this and suspect its the same post.

As far as I've been told both by email from a senior customer services manager and also posted by P&O on their Facebook page, the only people who get priority early embarkation is liguiran and suite passengers and this is confirmed by the time on their etickets, which I believe is 12.30. Everyone else has to adhere to the time on their ticket, caribbean and baltic tiers get priority at that time.

Just got or time for our Christmas cruise - 2.30pm

At least we should be on before its dark!

As we are coming day before I am now more relaxed and cases will stay in Premier Inn until 2ish and then we'll get a taxi

At least this way we'll get a civilised lunch in Southampton - P&O buffet lunches are very average IMHO and I won't miss that!

Just got the time for my xmas cruise - 2pm

Not too bad as apparently you can extend the vacate room time in Premier Inn to 1pm. Maybe have a light lunch and if it is a nice day walk to the Ocean terminal, it only takes me 25 minutes :)

Next time i cruise from southampton i will be Caribbean tier :)

Just got the time for my xmas cruise - 2pm

Not too bad as apparently you can extend the vacate room time in Premier Inn to 1pm. Maybe have a light lunch and if it is a nice day walk to the Ocean terminal, it only takes me 25 minutes :)

Next time i cruise from southampton i will be Caribbean tier :)

Metz Dave, Metz.

Ah yes, I have seen that moon-raker. Thanks.

There has also been discussion about the real meaning of that statement as it is also ambiguous as it could read having the benefit of ' priority OR early embarkation

Meaning that you could either have priority check in at your allocated time OR early embarkation.

So it is still unclear. We are going round and round in circles. Am getting dizzy lol

Edited by Scriv

Hi Jean - you know me, I just love being on a ship even for the shortest time lol. It does help being only a short drive from Southampton though.

We live in Scotland but have done a couple of short cruises. We just tie it in with visits to friends etc. Like you say it's great being on a ship, even if just for a short time

Is this new 'improved' (and I use the term loosely) embarkation system still in pilot on the Azura only, or has it been rolled out to the other ships ?

Thanks!

It went fleet wide with effect from 3 October Bella.

But the signs are that things are slowly improving and p&o have said they will also now write to all passengers explaining the new process prior to embarkation date.

They are writing to all passengers but my 85+ year old parents received notice today, 3 days before they sail. They are now having to rearrange their transport; they are concerned that there will be no seating available when they arrive (Dad has blue badge) and they need baggage assistance which will not be available earlier than midday.

They are annoyed that this information was not sent earlier as they have been confirmed on this cruise for quite some time, so P&O communication not at its best.

They were also looking forward to lunch...

They are writing to all passengers but my 85+ year old parents received notice today, 3 days before they sail. They are now having to rearrange their transport; they are concerned that there will be no seating available when they arrive (Dad has blue badge) and they need baggage assistance which will not be available earlier than midday.

They are annoyed that this information was not sent earlier as they have been confirmed on this cruise for quite some time, so P&O communication not at its best.

They were also looking forward to lunch...

Any chance you could let us know what boarding time they have, and what loyalty tier they are.

If they have a late boarding time, and have to sit and wait I would hope that common sense would enable able bodied people to give up their seats for those less able. Tell them to speak to the ladies who are handing out the cards etc.

After lunch is finished the buffet is still open, it is just what is on offer is changed, more tea/cakes/hot choices etc.

3 days before sailing is not good I agree.