Azura - New Improved Embarkation Process

FAB1

Saw this on the RCI forum and have copied it from someones review of Anthem of the Sea boarding in the US.

Embarkation: We were going to park and decided at the last minute to use Uber which worked out really well (cheap and efficient for our 15 miles trip from Westfield, NJ). A little traffic getting up to drop off areas as we arrived around 10:15am. But luggage drop off outside was quick. As we entered the terminal, a lovely woman with an iPad got us all checked in easily in about 10 minutes. There was a problem with one uploaded photo (they wanted no glasses) but she quickly took a new one and we moved on). Boarding was ready right after that. This was incredible. Unlike NCL breakaway and DCL ships which generally board around 11:45-12pm, Anthem boarded around 10:30 and was open to all guests by 10:45am or so. We were on board a few minutes before 11am.

I still think that P&O could start their boarding earlier. While others are getting earlier P&O have made theirs later.

I've followed this thread with only distant interest, as I'm doing a fly-cruise, so events at Southampton don't concern me at the moment. However, I've had first hand experience of boarding RCI in the US and whilst we were able to board relatively early as indicated above, you cannot access your cabin until much later (I seem to recall this was 3pm) - we weren't even allowed access to the cabin corridors, so no sneaking in to see if it was ready earlier. Unless things have changed on RCI, access to your cabin seems to be the key difference. It seems depending upon your cruise line you can either have general early boarding but no cabin access till late, or staggered boarding times and access to cabins straightway.

I've followed this thread with only distant interest, as I'm doing a fly-cruise, so events at Southampton don't concern me at the moment. However, I've had first hand experience of boarding RCI in the US and whilst we were able to board relatively early as indicated above, you cannot access your cabin until much later (I seem to recall this was 3pm) - we weren't even allowed access to the cabin corridors, so no sneaking in to see if it was ready earlier. Unless things have changed on RCI, access to your cabin seems to be the key difference. It seems depending upon your cruise line you can either have general early boarding but no cabin access till late, or staggered boarding times and access to cabins straightway.

Why is there this fixation with having the cabins ready on boarding, maybe its because I regularly sail with Celebrity and so I am used to the cabin corridors being closed, but we try to limit our carry on luggage so don't feel it necessary to stalk the corridors.

Similarly with disembarking, why do the P&O cheerleaders want to stay on board in Southampton until late morning, we find Celebrity's disembarkation times of 6:30/7:00 for self disembarkation and then up to 9:00/9:30 for everyone else quite acceptable; we want to be on our way home in reasonable time. We normally aim for 8:30 after having breakfast about 7:30 which means we can leave our carry off bags in our room until after breakfast, which is far more civilised than toting them around for most of the morning.

Why is there this fixation with having the cabins ready on boarding, maybe its because I regularly sail with Celebrity and so I am used to the cabin corridors being closed, but we try to limit our carry on luggage so don't feel it necessary to stalk the corridors.

Similarly with disembarking, why do the P&O cheerleaders want to stay on board in Southampton until late morning, we find Celebrity's disembarkation times of 6:30/7:00 for self disembarkation and then up to 9:00/9:30 for everyone else quite acceptable; we want to be on our way home in reasonable time. We normally aim for 8:30 after having breakfast about 7:30 which means we can leave our carry off bags in our room until after breakfast, which is far more civilised than toting them around for most of the morning.

I don't care if the cabins are ready or not. But it would appear that some people do, hence the change. Which of course by all accounts is working quite well.

As for disembarkation, I don't want to get up at silly o'clock in the morning, thank you.

I don't care if the cabins are ready or not. But it would appear that some people do, hence the change. Which of course by all accounts is working quite well.

As for disembarkation, I don't want to get up at silly o'clock in the morning, thank you.

Dai, from memory breakfast on the last morning is normally finished by about 8:30 so you need to be up early anyway, and there is nothing else open so hardly worth staying on board, unless you feel you need to get your moneys worth out of the facilities in the suites disembarkation lounge.;):rolleyes:

I'm in your camp John, not bothered about the cabins being ready early.

We also breakfast early on last day then pickup bags from cabin and self disembark. When it's over it's over, nothing really to hang around for.

Edited by bee-ess

Dai, from memory breakfast on the last morning is normally finished by about 8:30 so you need to be up early anyway, and there is nothing else open so hardly worth staying on board, unless you feel you need to get your moneys worth out of the facilities in the suites disembarkation lounge.;):rolleyes:

There is not one. I just like my bed.

There is not one. I just like my bed.

But surely Dai you don't break the rules by not vacating your room by 8:00am.:eek::rolleyes:;)

Being late off the ship can be so depressing, debarkation lounges empty and very few people around, nothing is so forlorn as an empty cruise ship.

Once in Auckland we delayed getting off as we were making our own way to the hotel which was within walking distance and the rooms were not guaranteed to be available until 2:00pm. By 9:00am we were stir crazy and couldn't wait to get off.

Edited by terrierjohn

Same here Dai on both counts. We've always enjoyed just wandering round the ship and having a drink as soon as we get onboard ........but there's probably been enough said on that one.

I'm also quite happy to lie in my bed till last minute then grab a breakfast just before the MDR doors close. We always intend to go to bed early on the last night but it never happens. Want to enjoy every last second of our cruise.

Edited by tartanexile81

I'm also quite happy to lie in my bed till last minute then grab a breakfast just before the MDR doors close. We always intend to go to bed early on the last night but it never happens. Want to enjoy every last second of our cruise.

Me too. Can't carry off my luggage these days and no need to rush on the last morning, and avoids the M25 style traffic jam in the luggage hall and beyond. Not to mention the pushing and shoving to get off in the ships lobby......steer clear of that!

Me too. Can't carry off my luggage these days and no need to rush on the last morning, and avoids the M25 style traffic jam in the luggage hall and beyond. Not to mention the pushing and shoving to get off in the ships lobby......steer clear of that!

My OH also loves to get the morning papers and sit and catch up with the sports news.

On the last morning we always go to the second sitting of breakfast in the MDR, have a lovely leisurely breakfast, grab our hand luggage from the settee in the cabin where the steward has always let us leave it while having breakfast and then we've usually been off by the latest 9.30, sometimes as early as 8.45am.

On the last morning we always go to the second sitting of breakfast in the MDR, have a lovely leisurely breakfast, grab our hand luggage from the settee in the cabin where the steward has always let us leave it while having breakfast and then we've usually been off by the latest 9.30, sometimes as early as 8.45am.

Quite right.

Seems the obvious thing to do, and last time I was on Aurora the last morning's breakfast was open seating until about 8:30 so no particular rush. Also have a leisurely breakfast and later coffee having chosen the last disembarkation slot so we can find the cases easily, oh, and the car if we've driven. no need to rush on the last day.

I enjoyed reading this loooong thread and that was only from page 41! We have cruised from S’ton before on Ventura (2009) and will be again this coming Sunday and realise things are different these days. In 2009 we arrived on an early morning flight from Newcastle (8am ish) and were advised by the airport staff “to wait in their café as nothing would be going on down there until about 12” so took their kind advice and waited in the café for about 3 hours before sharing a taxi down with other cruisers, around 11.30am and were on board by no later than 12.30 from memory. We had to get up to travel from Darlington to Newcastle airport that morning at 4am but this wasn’t P&O’s fault or choice – it was our decision.

We also cruised with RCI from S’ton last year and from memory I think we had an embark time to which it was a success and we were on board having lunch before the advertised time. We are life’s early people and don’t like being late.

In hindsight what I did in 2009 I will not do again nor have done in all the cruises since for example last years RCI we took the train to S’ton the day before enjoying leisure time in S’ton that morning before arriving at the terminal. We are 5 hours travel (and that’s just by rail) from S’ton and wouldn’t dream of leaving anything to chance these days. I like to be in the port city the night before to allow for contingency. Our honeymoon first cruise was from NYC and I must have been a different person those days – (more relaxed?!) as we only flew to NY THAT morning to catch the QM2! What was I thinking!!!! Maybe because we linked the flights with transfers to the same booking we felt it was a slight safety net but these days – no way! I would only do that if I was travelling with P&O airways and sailing on a P&O ship with a guarantee that they would wait for me ;-)

Tomorrow (Saturday) lunchtime we leave D’ton for S’ton ahead of our 2.30pm embark time on Sunday. My plan is to call for a taxi no later than 1.30pm on the Sunday to take me to Mayflower and if I arrive at 1.45 I will be prepared to wait.

I didn’t expect an announcement from P&O telling me I would receive an embark time. However I had an idea a time may be given purely from reading this forum as I do prior to any cruise. I received it a number of weeks ago possibly around the time I received my cabin number. I was neither surprised or disappointed with the way I was given it – it was just there on the eticket. I was pleasantly surprised with 2.30 as with booking a saver fare inside cabin maybe in anticipated something like 4.30 for the price I paid.

To conclude – do I think P&O have a duty to notify everybody that they will be giving embarkation times? I’m not sure they do. Having cruised with 6 companies now maybe this time will be the latest I’ve ever embarked a ship (even in NY it was definitely lunchtime as we enjoyed lunch overlooking the city) but that is probably because I like to be early in life and prepared but having always paid for the basic inside cabin I have to say, touching everything wooden in sight, I’ve always been on board early enough to be happy to class embarkation day as a full day of my holiday for the price I paid over what I know some people pay for suites he he! On Sunday I could try to continue with this trend and arrive at the terminal at 11.30 like I have done nine times out of ten previously but now I have been given a specific time I will happily do other things in S’ton that morning with no need to rush.

Some people like to be organised more than others. Some are more experienced cruisers than others, some use social media, some don’t. Some live hundreds of miles away from S’ton, some don’t. Some have restricted holidays and work times, some are retired, some are able bodied, some not. For info I am 32 and work 9-5 Mon-Fri and these are the choices I make regardless whether i'm given an embarkation time or not. The time I was given was received many weeks after making my initial travel plans and 2.30pm wouldn't have changed that in any way. Those that have never cruised before and don’t use social media probably are quite happy that they’ve been given an embarkation time as I know in those early days I wasn’t given a time – we just turned up and went with the flow without knowing anything different. Everyone's different and times are changing, we just need to go with it and be happy with it, whatever we decide to do or whatever and whevever and however the information is given!

Happy cruising!

A week on Monday I will be experiencing this new embarkation procedure but i have nagging doubts about the whole thing. I have a 2pm check in time but what time do I arrive at the terminal? The hotel normally requires rooms to be vacated by noon but some have reported that I might be able to negotiate an extension to 1pm. OK 1pm it is so I walk to the Ocean terminal as normal getting there at 1.30.

This is the first question. Is your total wait time at the terminal dependent on your arrival time? or to put it another way, would someone arriving 30 minutes before their slot get a lettered card which has a better letter than one given to someone who arrives 15 minutes before their slot or actually on time?

If the answer to question 1 is Yes, what time do they start handing out lettered cards for the 2pm slot? If I turned up at 12.30 would they give me a lettered card with A on it so I would be first to the check in desk at 2pm? If so it is a better strategy to wait at the terminal rather than elsewhere!

A week on Monday I will be experiencing this new embarkation procedure but i have nagging doubts about the whole thing. I have a 2pm check in time but what time do I arrive at the terminal? The hotel normally requires rooms to be vacated by noon but some have reported that I might be able to negotiate an extension to 1pm. OK 1pm it is so I walk to the Ocean terminal as normal getting there at 1.30.

This is the first question. Is your total wait time at the terminal dependent on your arrival time? or to put it another way, would someone arriving 30 minutes before their slot get a lettered card which has a better letter than one given to someone who arrives 15 minutes before their slot or actually on time?

If the answer to question 1 is Yes, what time do they start handing out lettered cards for the 2pm slot? If I turned up at 12.30 would they give me a lettered card with A on it so I would be first to the check in desk at 2pm? If so it is a better strategy to wait at the terminal rather than elsewhere!

To much thinking, Dave. Try drinking instead.

To much thinking, Dave. Try drinking instead.

Dai

I know this remark is made in jest but seriously this new arrangement is causing lots of us lots of problems

Fine if you have an early embarkation time - not so good if later and you are hanging around in the cold either with all your luggage or your hand luggage.

Or sitting in the ghastly terminal lounges with minimum facilities.

I just feel P&O are becoming less and less customer friendly - perhaps they are better for those in suites and at the higher end of the loyalty scale who can embark whenever, but not so good for the rest of us.

I am going to analyse my forthcoming Christmas cruise on Oceana carefully.

Last Christmas on Adonia (which was my 4th Christmas cruise) I felt that there was less and less to do on board if you don't like to be part of Butlins at Sea or spend your time in the spa or attending talks on spa products. On my first Christmas cruise with P&O there was loads to do and I was having to choose between different activities.

I also am getting fed up with shorter port days than other companies and lack of information about anticipated arrival and departure times in advance of the cruise. Other companies do this - why not P&O? (And of course I appreciate that these can be subject to change)

P&O has been useful for me for year round Southampton departures but I am seriously thinking this may be my last P&O cruise as they don't seem to want to appeal to people like me. The latest embarkation procedure might be the last straw.