FLL to Port Everglades - another timing question

alyssa810

If our flight is supposed to get into FLL at 1:15, and our ship leaves at 4:30, is that enough time or too risky? I was trying to search on the Port's website, and it said to allow 45-60 minutes, I'm just starting to get myself worried about the timing...and maybe I should rebook the flight. TIA!

This is crazy tight. Any delay and you are in serious trouble.

First, sailing at 4:30 means you need to be onboard probably at 3pm. Plus you need to claim your baggage. We don't know when you are flying, or from where and how many connections? Far too many variables to even think about this option.

I agree that it is cutting it a bit too tight for me - not worth the stress IMO. I traveled all the time on business in a past life and all too often experienced delays.

If you have to take this flight, explore your options if you miss your ship. Like, where is the first port that you can connect to it? On one cruise the next day we were in Key West, so not a huge problem if we missed it. If you are on a trans-Atlantic crossing, its a whole different story!

Book the day before.

In the winter and spring, thunderstorms or ice in Dallas or Atlanta can shut down travel all over the US.

In summer and fall, thunderstorms in South Florida, ATL, CLT, or the NYC area can shut down traffic all over the US.

If our flight is supposed to get into FLL at 1:15, and our ship leaves at 4:30, is that enough time or too risky? I was trying to search on the Port's website, and it said to allow 45-60 minutes, I'm just starting to get myself worried about the timing...and maybe I should rebook the flight. TIA!

You usually need to be checked in& onboard 60-90 min prior to sailing time

The trip fr4om the airport may only be 15 min if not traffic but you can get stuck in the lines into the port area

I would try for an early arrival even the night before would be better than possibly missing the ship

I would not have a problem flying in day of cruise on a direct or connecting flight....however I would take a flight that arrives much earlier..typically for us from the west coast that would be arriving at the latest 9:00-10:00am...We've done this many times.

If you can avoid it, don't, I repeat don't fly in the day of the cruise.

So many things can go wrong that could result in you missing the ship.

What?

Weather

Aircraft Mechanical Issue

Security Breach on flight

Security Breach at either airport

FAA issue

Computer glitch on Aircraft

Computer glitch on Airline

FAA Computer Glitch (by the way it was only a few weeks ago that there was a FAA glitch that affects portions of the east coast shutting them down)

Insufficient Flight personnel

A medical problem on board necessitating the flight to land elsewhere

I can list more but hopefully you get the idea.

Do not fly that day. I don't care what others have said about their experience. I know several people who have missed cruises saying they never had a problem but that time they did and they would never do that again.

And on top of that don't fly in a few hours before your cruise.

By the way you must be on board 90 minutes before your cruise.

Keith

The way the airlines reschedule flights these days makes your 1:15 even more iffy. By the time of your cruise it may be that you will arrive on time at 4:00.

Also, if you miss the ship, some cruise lines are not allowing 'catch the ship' boarding (in the Caribbean). If your first port of call happens to be Key West, you cannot join the ship due to the PVSA.

Reschedule and breathe easier. :):D

Sorry....but many on these boards never have to fly in day of cruise...What many will never understand, some times there is no other choice...but at least always make sure it's the earliest arrival time as possible. Weigh your options and make the travel plans that are particular to "your" situation...regardless of what anyone else says.

We flew into FLL on a non-stop flight with Spirit that was scheduled to leave at 1:15am the night before from MSP. The flight was delayed over 2 hours and we arrived around 5 or 6am in FLL. It was the LAST flight out so if anything happened we wouldn't fly until 7 or 8am the next day. I was a nervous wreck the whole time. We did it to save on hotel and airfare costs but we will NEVER fly in the day of or on Spirit EVER again.

I'm not sure who you are cruising with but I like to be AT the port by NOON as they often start boarding at noon or earlier. Your flight schedule is cutting it WAY too close and would hate to hear you missed the boat.