Puzzled about Gala Night timing

joanna111

Granted that Gala Night is not as, well, Gala as it used to be, but I'm puzzled by what I hear for our upcoming cruise. What we have is: 7 day cruise with 1 sea day has 2 Gala Nights, followed by a 7 day cruise with 1 sea day has 2 Gala Nights followed by a 13 day cruise with 8 sea days has 2 Gala Nights. I've only done one TA before in 2013 but there were 4 Gala Nights on that cruise. To me Gala Nights are more welcome if I'm at sea day after day than if I'm in port day after day. So it's extra puzzling that we have only half as many on the T/A as we have on the port-intensive Med cruise. Just wondering.

While it is fluid these days and not always according to pattern, most 7 day cruises have two 'gala' nights. Most 10 to 13 day cruises used to have 3 'gala' nights and a fourteen day cruise would normally have 4 'gala' nights.

They are not always/only sea days but often are days when the ship leaves port earlier than usual.

No matter what your documents say, there is a reasonably good chance it could change when you are aboard.

Have a great time on your multiple cruises. :)

Edited by sail7seas

If you look at your schedule, there will probably be any earlier port day that will serve as the formal (Sorry...old habits die hard) night. If you post the schedule/itinerary for the two one week cruises, I'm sure someone can help you figure them out. However, the numbers of nights sounds correct.

Our 14 day cruise next month shows only 3 gala nights

That makes sense. You can wind up with 4 formal nights on a 14 day cruise, but only if it's a B2B or 14 day Collector's Cruise. That's because each 7 day segment has 2 formal nights.

If you look at your schedule, there will probably be any earlier port day that will serve as the formal (Sorry...old habits die hard) night. If you post the schedule/itinerary for the two one week cruises, I'm sure someone can help you figure them out. However, the numbers of nights sounds correct.

I'm more comfortable with the term "formal night" too. "Gala" is a term I have never used in my life so it just seems silly to me--but that's just me and whether people use "formal", "dress up", "gala" or some other term, I'll know what they mean. 😃

WE have a Collectors Cruise coming up -- 2 seven day cruises.

Documents indicate there are to be 3 Gala nights.

But until we get on the ship, we will not know which 7 day cruise will have 2 Gala nights and which one will only have 1 Gala night.

Yup, mine too.

WE have a Collectors Cruise coming up -- 2 seven day cruises.

Documents indicate there are to be 3 Gala nights.

But until we get on the ship, we will not know which 7 day cruise will have 2 Gala nights and which one will only have 1 Gala night.

Yup, mine too.

Does that mean one of the legs has only 1 Gala night on one of the segments? Or are they going to tell you, "Hey. You dresses up last week. Take tonight off."?

Or, have they declared that Eastern Caribbean more casual than the Western? Or vice versa?

So many questions! :D

I'm more comfortable with the term "formal night" too. "Gala" is a term I have never used in my life so it just seems silly to me--but that's just me and whether people use "formal", "dress up", "gala" or some other term, I'll know what they mean. 😃

I am certain HAL changed from Formal to Gala to denote the change in the dress code policy for that day.

Does that mean one of the legs has only 1 Gala night on one of the segments? Or are they going to tell you, "Hey. You dresses up last week. Take tonight off."?

Or, have they declared that Eastern Caribbean more casual than the Western? Or vice versa?

I know, it's just odd.

WE could call them "Idiot's Delight" nights, but that's probably not PC ;)

That used to be conventional wisdom, but lately it hasn't been like that. I think they like the first gala night to be the first full day, so that it makes sense to have the show where the captain and staff are introduced and they do the "captain's toast." Sort of a grand kick-off to the week. (I'm using "grand" to imply HAL's thinking, not my interpretation of the event. ;))

On our most recent cruise, the first day was a port day, leaving at 4 PM. The second day was a port day, leaving at 2 PM. I expected the second day to be the gala night, as it had the earlier departure time. But it was the first day. If you had a full day in port, that left less time to "dress to impress." :rolleyes:

On our most recent cruise, the first day was a port day, leaving at 4 PM. The second day was a port day, leaving at 2 PM. I expected the second day to be the gala night, as it had the earlier departure time. But it was the first day. If you had a full day in port, that left less time to "dress to impress." :rolleyes:

That's why we like to practice dressing and impressing at home before our trips. :)

I'm the same way. It's probably because gala is used as a noun more often than its used as an adjective, whereas formal is used more often as an adjective.

Or is it possible that you need to bring one of these?

stemilt-gala-apple.png

Edited by POA1

We have no idea.

It would be nice if HAL would list the "Gala" nights on the documents.

I'm the same way. It's probably because gala is used as a noun more often than its used as an adjective, whereas formal is used more often as an adjective.

Or is it possible that you need to bring one of these?

stemilt-gala-apple.png

Nope -- those Gala apples won't help anyone if they need them for sea sickness -- need green apples.

We have no idea.

It would be nice if HAL would list the "Gala" nights on the documents.

Yes, it would. Cunard has the schedule of formal and informal nights for each cruise on their website. It requires some digging, but it's there. I guess HAL can't do that because they leave the decision up to people onboard.

Yes, it would. Cunard has the schedule of formal and informal nights for each cruise on their website. It requires some digging, but it's there. I guess HAL can't do that because they leave the decision up to people onboard.

Kathy, I'm not so sure the decision as to 'gala' nights is left to the Hotel Director, Captain and/or CD. I think almost all decisions come out of Seattle these days. Captain and Hotel Director may request a change or juggling of formal nights but save for rough sea conditions, mechanical issues, or other engineering problems, my understanding is Seattle may or may not agree with the request. :rolleyes: