Booking on Board

laslomas

Currently in the UK Celebrity do not have the Go Bigger etc. pricing. At the moment we have an offer on European sailings of Buy 1 get one Half Price and the Classic Drinks Package for 2. This offer finishes 2nd November so I expect we will get the Go BBB pricing when that finishes.

Unlike popping into a high street Travel shop, or checking prices through websites online, last time I visited Future Cruises they would not quote any prices until I provided my cabin number. This brought up my details and the travel agent details on screen and as I was resident in the UK the prices were quoted in GB Pounds. Am I correct to assume everybody has the same offer and prices when booking on board regardless of the current geographical differences? Are the Future Cruise prices now all based on the Go BBB?

I have found a very competitively priced Med cruise for 2016 with the current UK offer, and when I check it to the Celebrity US price with GO BBB the UK price still comes out better by quite a margin. If I book this on board my upcoming cruise I expect the price quoted will be from the US website so will not be the best price for me at the time. I believe there will be extra OBC offered (does anyone know how much?) - but why do Celebrity make it so difficult???

UK residents, and also those from some other countries, lose their deposit if they cancel a cruise so it is important to get it right first time. But surely it should not work out to be more expensive when booking on board.

One extra question - in the iLounge is there free access to the Celebrity website?

Edited by laslomas
extra query

Currently in the UK Celebrity do not have the Go Bigger etc. pricing. At the moment we have an offer on European sailings of Buy 1 get one Half Price and the Classic Drinks Package for 2. This offer finishes 2nd November so I expect we will get the Go BBB pricing when that finishes.

Unlike popping into a high street Travel shop, or checking prices through websites online, last time I visited Future Cruises they would not quote any prices until I provided my cabin number. This brought up my details and the travel agent details on screen and as I was resident in the UK the prices were quoted in GB Pounds. Am I correct to assume everybody has the same offer and prices when booking on board regardless of the current geographical differences? Are the Future Cruise prices now all based on the Go BBB?

I have found a very competitively priced Med cruise for 2016 with the current UK offer, and when I check it to the Celebrity US price with GO BBB the UK price still comes out better by quite a margin. If I book this on board my upcoming cruise I expect the price quoted will be from the US website so will not be the best price for me at the time. I believe there will be extra OBC offered (does anyone know how much?) - but why do Celebrity make it so difficult???

UK residents, and also those from some other countries, lose their deposit if they cancel a cruise so it is important to get it right first time. But surely it should not work out to be more expensive when booking on board.

One extra question - in the iLounge is there free access to the Celebrity website?

Remember when comparing that the US current offer for Europe 2016 includes 2 offers i.e. basically, the 'Go Bigger' of the 3Bs and to include any extra OBC from the TA (which usually isn't available in the UK). You will still get the OBC for booking onboard and any offers relevant to where you are booking from.

The ilounge has free access to the X website, as well as Royal and Azamara's too.

We compared and it was actually cheaper in the US with all our perks compared to booking our 2 cabins in the UK. Each individual sailing will be different, it's always advisable to check both sides of the pond prior to booking ;).

If you book your cruise onboard you will be able to use GBP rate. We can use the CDN rate no problem. Just let them know where you live.

Internet to Celebrity Cruises website is available to anyone free even from your cabin, you do not have to use the I Lounge. You were lol have to again amend it to the United Kingdom under country at the bottom if the page to get the GBP rate.

Remember when comparing that the US current offer for Europe 2016 includes 2 offers i.e. basically, the 'Go Bigger' of the 3Bs and to include any extra OBC from the TA (which usually isn't available in the UK). You will still get the OBC for booking onboard and any offers relevant to where you are booking from.

The ilounge has free access to the X website, as well as Royal and Azamara's too.

We compared and it was actually cheaper in the US with all our perks compared to booking our 2 cabins in the UK. Each individual sailing will be different, it's always advisable to check both sides of the pond prior to booking ;).

Thanks for the speedy response. The cruise I checked is definitely cheaper with the current UK offer when compared to the extra 2 perks offer on the US website in dollars, and converted back to GBP. I understand there will always be differences due to different offers, we are used to having to live with that. But when booking on board do we all get quoted the best price available to us or just the US price converted to our own currency? Surely booking on board is supposed to be a perk, so should be better value than booking direct through the website at home.

How much is the OBC offer at the moment?

I booked 2 new cruises on board at the end of last month. One I had intended to book and had thoroughly researched.

The price for the one I had researched was exactly the same as the UK website if I had booked a cabin grade lower (I wanted 2A but paid for 2B on board) and with the addition of the OBC offered at that time.

The OBC offered is up to $500 depending on cabin selection and length of cruise. For instance, my 15-night Panama canal cruise got me an additional $300 OBC. The land-based booking offer at that time got me the Classic drinks package plus $300. This changed to the Classic drinks package only after 1st September when the offers changed.

The other cruise was a 7-night Caribbean which also came complete with Classic drinks and $300 plus and additional $150 for booking on board, which I could add to my existing cruise (which I did) or to the Caribbean one.

I got the Future Cruise people to give me the US BBB promotional sheet as I do have an American TA and did consider changing to her. I decided that I have enough exposure to the dollar movement with US cruises already booked with her and stayed with my UK TA, who shaved some more off the deals.

This is a wordy response, and probably not very clear, but if you have further questions, then fire away.

Thanks for the speedy response. The cruise I checked is definitely cheaper with the current UK offer when compared to the extra 2 perks offer on the US website in dollars, and converted back to GBP. I understand there will always be differences due to different offers, we are used to having to live with that. But when booking on board do we all get quoted the best price available to us or just the US price converted to our own currency? Surely booking on board is supposed to be a perk, so should be better value than booking direct through the website at home.

How much is the OBC offer at the moment?

You'll get the offer as it's advertised in the UK (providing it's still available) plus the extra OBC for booking onboard, which is dependent on length of cruise and cabin reserved. I know a 10-13 night cruise in a balcony cabin was $200 OBC and $150 for an inside.

You'll find X will send a flyer during the cruise to your cabin stating all the offers for booking onboard. We received a few. It appears some sailings offer different promos (TAs, short cruises etc.) - check with the Future Cruise Rep. Best to take all your calculations with you so you know exactly what the costings should be ;).

You'll get the offer as it's advertised in the UK (providing it's still available) plus the extra OBC for booking onboard, which is dependent on length of cruise and cabin reserved. I know a 10-13 night cruise in a balcony cabin was $200 OBC and $150 for an inside.

You'll find X will send a flyer during the cruise to your cabin stating all the offers for booking onboard. We received a few. It appears some sailings offer different promos (TAs, short cruises etc.) - check with the Future Cruise Rep. Best to take all your calculations with you so you know exactly what the costings should be ;).

Thank you, that answers my query. If that is so I also understand now why they do not just quote prices without first looking up your details on their computer. But it does seem strange that all passengers are not offered the same 'best available' prices for making a booking on board.

Thank you, that answers my query. If that is so I also understand now why they do not just quote prices without first looking up your details on their computer. But it does seem strange that all passengers are not offered the same 'best available' prices for making a booking on board.

Not at all strange - different markets, different offers. And they do not prevent you from booking the US deal on board, so in a sense, you can choose which offer is 'best available' for you. Of course, if the exchange rate changes adversely (pound v dollar) if you do choose a US deal, it could work out not nearly so well when you come to pay the balance.

Don't forget that when you book onboard it is called a booking, but in reality it is an option valid up to approx. a fortnight into the future i.e. the time when you arrive at home. If you decide not to book the option expires at that date. So you have time to find a travel agent, a pet minder, crack up your piggy bank for the deposit , find a better deal with another travel agent etc. ;)

Whenever we have booked onboard we were offered the prices in Euros - I always checked with my travel agent's web site and they were the same. Sometimes it was better still to book on board because they offered an onboard special besides the extra OBC you usually get. But that was a while ago, so it might have changed. For example once we got a beverage package as an extra when that promo wasn't offered at that time in Europe. But that was in 2014 - quite a long time ago regarding promotions and offers!

Don't forget that when you book onboard it is called a booking, but in reality it is an option valid up to approx. a fortnight into the future i.e. the time when you arrive at home. If you decide not to book the option expires at that date. So you have time to find a travel agent, a pet minder, crack up your piggy bank for the deposit , find a better deal with another travel agent etc. ;)

Whenever we have booked onboard we were offered the prices in Euros - I always checked with my travel agent's web site and they were the same. Sometimes it was better still to book on board because they offered an onboard special besides the extra OBC you usually get. But that was a while ago, so it might have changed. For example once we got a beverage package as an extra when that promo wasn't offered at that time in Europe. But that was in 2014 - quite a long time ago regarding promotions and offers!

Thank you for the information, I had not realised the 'option' status.

Is this "option" unique for Europe based customers? It has always been my understanding that the book now option and even the Open Passages option require a reduced non refundable deposit. My charge card as always been charged while still on board.

Thanks

An open passages booking is not refundable - unless you complain loud and long - but easily transferred at least 75 days out to another cruise. Booking on board usually offers something extra and you then have 60 days to transfer that booking from Celebrity to a TA after shopping the TAs to see what goodies they will offer you. FWIW, we are usually offered about an additional 5% off in OBC from the TA. You then can cancel this as any booking according to the refund schedule - 75 days or more on a longer cruise gets you all your $$ back less what if anything the TA takes (usually $50 at most). I have always gotten my deposit back if I got home and decided to cancel on a booking for a specific cruise.