Wearing Camo

NanaBell

Some of you evidently don't watch the San Diego baseball games. They wear camoflage uniforms at some of their games to HONOR THOSE WHO SERVE IN THE MILITARY AT THE NEARBY BASE !!.

They also have a special section where they have military people in their camoflage uniforms as guests.

I don't think very many resent this HONOR being given to those who serve.

I don't want to burst anyone's patriotic bubble, but:

digital camo is very popular right now, not because it supports anything. My nephew's Little League team and my niece's softball team both sported red/grey digital camo shirts. The Pittsburgh Pirates have a digital camo shirt as one of their uniform tops. None of them are anywhere near a military base. San Diego does many things for the military because they are a military town. Good for them. But, it doesn't project to other places, and should not be implied.

Lest people are getting wrapped up in the military respect/disrespect thing over camo, remember there is more than one type of camouflage: I don't think the hunters in my area think of their Mossy Oak clothes as playing weekend warrior. Perhaps the deer population in the area should protest that, by wearing Mossy Oak, humans are disrespecting the deer and fellow moose and elk ;-)

Proves the point about the type of person who approves of this type of clothing. :rolleyes:

First, I would like to apologize. I should not have called anyone stupid. I have seen many things posted by the person I originally replied to and I find most of their posts to be not quite so judgmental as what they posted- which prompted my reply in the first place. That said, my reply was poorly worded.

I don't particularly "approve" of wearing camouflage in public places- or anywhere other than it's usual intended purposes- hunting and/or military work uniform. Neither my husband, nor I, wear camo out in public.

Having grown up in a military family and with my husband having served and retired from the military, my husband and I were always taught that camo clothing was for "work" and they were like coveralls that a mechanic would wear, or scrubs for a hospital worker (nurse, doctor, or whatever other person wears scrubs- not even going to jump on the doctor/nurse bandwagon).

I am NOT getting on anyone who does wear camo in public or demeaning anyone. I am not saying we are "above" anyone or "beneath" anyone- merely stating that the rules we were taught dictate that one does not wear camo in public b/c that's not its intended purpose.

I just don't think that MOST people wearing camouflage are doing it to promote a particular agenda. Many people, as someone else posted, wear it to show support for the military. I just don't think that people who wear camo are, for the most, part "anarchist" or "anti government."

I don't think that folks who wear their pants down to their knees are asking to be r*ped either. I don't get the trends. I wouldn't wear them, but to each his own. Both are just bad fashion trends truthfully, but they may mean something to the people wearing them.

Nonetheless, don't wear camo clothing in forbidden places. Simple enough. If the rules say don't do it- then just don't do it.

I don't want to burst anyone's patriotic bubble, but:

digital camo is very popular right now, not because it supports anything. My nephew's Little League team and my niece's softball team both sported red/grey digital camo shirts. The Pittsburgh Pirates have a digital camo shirt as one of their uniform tops. None of them are anywhere near a military base. San Diego does many things for the military because they are a military town. Good for them. But, it doesn't project to other places, and should not be implied.

Lest people are getting wrapped up in the military respect/disrespect thing over camo, remember there is more than one type of camouflage: I don't think the hunters in my area think of their Mossy Oak clothes as playing weekend warrior. Perhaps the deer population in the area should protest that, by wearing Mossy Oak, humans are disrespecting the deer and fellow moose and elk ;-)

You referenced my post, but I don't understand what you are trying to say ???

Some of us respect the military for preserving our rights.

You referenced my post, but I don't understand what you are trying to say ???

Some of us respect the military for preserving our rights.

Are you saying some of us do not respect the military? Get off the high horse please. Not all what I was saying. What I was saying was the wearing of digital Camo is not, in and of itself, only done as an act of respect/disrespect for any group. To imply it is so, is just not correct. It is a big fashion statement right now in sports, that's all. I know the local teams here had no thought about the military when they chose their uniforms - they thought they were "cool."

As someone who had dear friends drafted to serve in Viet Nam (and one who was murdered by the opposition), and still have friends who are SoCa-based Marines, I respect those who now volunteer to serve in our Armed Forces. But, wearing/not wearing camo has no bearing on this.

Back to regularly scheduled programming, wearing my Mossy Oak hunting pants...

Are you saying some of us do not respect the military? Get off the high horse please. Not all what I was saying. What I was saying was the wearing of digital Camo is not, in and of itself, only done as an act of respect/disrespect for any group. To imply it is so, is just not correct. It is a big fashion statement right now in sports, that's all. I know the local teams here had no thought about the military when they chose their uniforms - they thought they were "cool."

As someone who had dear friends drafted to serve in Viet Nam (and one who was murdered by the opposition), and still have friends who are SoCa-based Marines, I respect those who now volunteer to serve in our Armed Forces. But, wearing/not wearing camo has no bearing on this.

Back to regularly scheduled programming, wearing my Mossy Oak hunting pants...

YOU referenced my post. I did not say what you imply, but if your mind leads you there, that is your problem. I am not on a high horse, and I choose not to engage in your desire to argue.

Our military deserves the respect I alluded to by stating the sports teams wear camo out of respect to them.

We have the right to wear clothing of our choice because of our miltary while other countries people don't have that right.

No further comments from me !!!! Goodbye !!!

My 20 something Godson wears a lot of camo. It is nothing more, or less, than a fashion choice. It's not what I would choose to wear - but he wouldn't want to be dressed in my clothes choices either! He has not, yet, undertaken a caribbean cruise so it has not been an issue. If it ever is, he will deal with it.

I don't know whether 'camo' signifies anything else in the USA but, to my untutored eye, some of the responses to this question do seem a little OTT.

To the OP, simple answer, yes, some of the islands prohibit wearing of camo. No such restriction on board.

As for the rest of these, in my opinion somewhat silly responses, what committee made the decision of what constitutes "cruise wear"? Really, is there a law written on what is or is not cruise wear? Casual wear is just that, whether on land or a ship.

If camo, no matter what pattern, is not cruise wear because you are not out in the woods or at a military location then neither is wearing a sports jersey. After all, you're not on the team or at the game right? Don't wear all black, you're on a cruise, not a Goth convention. Don't wear a Superman tee, you aren't a superhero. Get the silly part now?

As for military respect or disrespect, I too come from a military family and don't know a single one of us that has any objection to camo wear or considers it a slight toward those who serve. If it was being worn as a true uniform by a non military/police person that might have cause to be considered differently. Heck, much of the stuff you see people wearing is not even close to military style or patterns.

Anti government? Get real, little boys with camo shirts, little girls with pink camo patterns, yup, definitely suspicious anti government types. If wearing camo makes you anti government we wouldn't have any government by now, an overthrow would have already happened by the millions wearing it, it's everywhere.

Come on, camo is nothing but a printed pattern on the clothes, just like flowers, checks, plaids or polka dots. I've seen people wear many things that I find looks ridiculous but who cares? That's on them.

Has society become this shallow that a printed pattern on someone's shirt is of any concern as long as it is not depicting obscene or vulgar images and language not particularly suitable for viewing by children?

OMG.:eek::D

To the OP, simple answer, yes, some of the islands prohibit wearing of camo. No such restriction on board.

As for the rest of these, in my opinion somewhat silly responses, what committee made the decision of what constitutes "cruise wear"? Really, is there a law written on what is or is not cruise wear? Casual wear is just that, whether on land or a ship.

If camo, no matter what pattern, is not cruise wear because you are not out in the woods or at a military location then neither is wearing a sports jersey. After all, you're not on the team or at the game right? Don't wear all black, you're on a cruise, not a Goth convention. Don't wear a Superman tee, you aren't a superhero. Get the silly part now?

As for military respect or disrespect, I too come from a military family and don't know a single one of us that has any objection to camo wear or considers it a slight toward those who serve. If it was being worn as a true uniform by a non military/police person that might have cause to be considered differently. Heck, much of the stuff you see people wearing is not even close to military style or patterns.

Anti government? Get real, little boys with camo shirts, little girls with pink camo patterns, yup, definitely suspicious anti government types. If wearing camo makes you anti government we wouldn't have any government by now, an overthrow would have already happened by the millions wearing it, it's everywhere.

Come on, camo is nothing but a printed pattern on the clothes, just like flowers, checks, plaids or polka dots. I've seen people wear many things that I find looks ridiculous but who cares? That's on them.

Has society become this shallow that a printed pattern on someone's shirt is of any concern as long as it is not depicting obscene or vulgar images and language not particularly suitable for viewing by children?

I agree!!!!!!!!!!

I'm with ya' there.

I ask the same question every time this comes up here...why would you? Are you going hunting, or going to war?.

Then, I believe I found an answer. Google "Mama June wedding dress" for a dandy example of "nice camoflauge", which I actully read referred to in one post.

Gah!:eek: How many times has my browser warned me that it is dangerous to follow unfamiliar links but do I listen?

I should have known better when you put "nice camouflage" in quotes.

Gah!:eek: How many times has my browser warned me that it is dangerous to follow unfamiliar links but do I listen?

I should have known better when you put "nice camouflage" in quotes.

Now I understand what some here mean when they have been critical about a certain type of people misusing camo clothing to make a statement. :eek:

june-wedding-dress-honey-boo-boo-5.jpg

Edited by SantaFeFan

Now I understand what some here mean when they have been critical about a certain type of people misusing camo clothing to make a statement. :eek:

Given the look of the wedding party, is it any surprise. The only thing appears to be missing is the shotgun.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Thank you. Exactly my point!!!

It's just a pattern on a shirt- like any other pattern- checks, paisley, stripes, et cetera.

And of course someone finds the biggest rednecks on the face of the planet to stand as the face of all folks who wear camouflage clothing. LOL

Yep, but they aren't alone. Watch any 'redneck' reality show and camo seems to be the required dress code. :D

Edited by sloopsailor

Barbados it is forbidden, they will send you back to the ship to change. It is a law in that country. It is printed in the fun times as well to remind people, smoking in public is also banned in Barbados.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good on Barbados! Unless you are in the military and about to go into battle in the jungle or the desert or going hunting, why would you even want to wear camo? It is hideous (IMO)! Please no flames...it is just my opinion. :)

Edited by Rala
typo

I don't care so much about the camo, but jeese, couldn't the bridesmaids and little Honey BooBoo wear dresses that at least matched the apparent color scheme of camo and orange? They couldn't clash worse if they tried!

Okay, carry on with the island/cruisewear/camo discussion. FWIW, I don't consider the pink (or lavender, yellow, or sky blue) camo-like pattern to be camo, but I guess that call would be in the eye of the island-military beholder...