S ships - lawn area

tbmrt

The glass show is not on all S class ships.

People sometimes just "hang out"

Part of the lawn runs next to the Sunset Bar, and you can sit with your cocktails

Silhouette and Reflection have the Grill specialty restaurant

While we really enjoy the Glass show, after 3-4 times it becomes a little boring. Wish Celebrity would add the Lawn Grill and the Porch to the other S-Class ships We loved the Sihouette because of these 2 areas. The Lawn Grill was excellent and it was so nice to be able to dine outside.

IMO, I think the reservations only "cabanas" should be replaced with some lawn activities instead.we never saw them used and the space is lovely as it is as a grassy area.

the lawn area is probably one of worst decisions make by Celebrity. I don't think u will see it on any more of there new ships. It has not been copied by any other lines especially in an industry that is competive as they are. Mistakes of that nature usually are not admitted but slowly fade away. someone had a stupid idea and corporate bought it. It's a shame since since the Celebrity experience is a little better then most mass market lines.

What activities other than the glass show are held on the lawn area?

The Hot Glass show is not actually on the lawn area, it is adjacent to it. People can sit on the benches provided or stand in back, but at no time are you actually on the lawn for this.

When we were on Solstice they had signs up to please stay off the grass. There was a lovely Wine and Cheese Sail away in one port, which was stunning, but other than that it was "resting time" for the lawn on our cruise.

the lawn area is probably one of worst decisions make by Celebrity. .

I don't know if it's the worst, but dh and I sort of think the same.

We have been on a couple ships where there were "stay off the grass" signs. Another time where it was open but not used by many for anything. The novelty wears off very quickly, after the first..."Oh look. There's some grass."

Maybe if I were on a ta with lots of days at sea in a row, it would be more appealing.

Glad to see some brave people admitting they don't like the lawn area - when I did so on a thread some time ago I received the full wrath of 'lawn lovers' :p

What gets me about the lawn is that it comprises a HUGE area of deck which realistically hardly gets used. We just came off Reflection and, yes, they had a few functions up there and the odd game of boules, the cabanas mostly sat empty on port days and were not fully used even on sea days. At least the lawn was fully open - on our last cruise on Silhouette most of it was roped off and brown and sad-looking.

The large area taken over by lawn significantly reduces the area on deck for loungers with the result that they are so crammed in together that there isn't even a chink between them. If you are unfortunate enough to get a lounger in the middle of a row forget about putting a drink or a bag down next to your lounger.

We had lots of port days on our cruise but on the two sea days people were wandering around looking for loungers whilst many cabanas and whole areas of lawn were empty :(

I don't know if it's the worst, but dh and I sort of think the same.

We have been on a couple ships where there were "stay off the grass" signs. Another time where it was open but not used by many for anything. The novelty wears off very quickly, after the first..."Oh look. There's some grass."

Maybe if I were on a ta with lots of days at sea in a row, it would be more appealing.

I agree. We were on the Reflection for a Greek cruise and there were no activities at all on the lawn. Most of the time it was roped off. I got the assumption that it was reserved for a group or a party, which never materialized.

Glad to see some brave people admitting they don't like the lawn area - when I did so on a thread some time ago I received the full wrath of 'lawn lovers' :p

What gets me about the lawn is that it comprises a HUGE area of deck which realistically hardly gets used. We just came off Reflection and, yes, they had a few functions up there and the odd game of boules, the cabanas mostly sat empty on port days and were not fully used even on sea days. At least the lawn was fully open - on our last cruise on Silhouette most of it was roped off and brown and sad-looking.

The large area taken over by lawn significantly reduces the area on deck for loungers with the result that they are so crammed in together that there isn't even a chink between them. If you are unfortunate enough to get a lounger in the middle of a row forget about putting a drink or a bag down next to your lounger.

We had lots of port days on our cruise but on the two sea days people were wandering around looking for loungers whilst many cabanas and whole areas of lawn were empty :(

Hmm, I haven't been on the Reflection but on the Equinox & Solstice I don't remember seeing loungers around the lawn area. Big wicker chairs and some couches, chairs around tables, but no loungers. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right spot. Or maybe they're on the starboard side.

Hmm, I haven't been on the Reflection but on the Equinox & Solstice I don't remember seeing loungers around the lawn area. Big wicker chairs and some couches, chairs around tables, but no loungers. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right spot. Or maybe they're on the starboard side.

I was referring to those decks which have loungers i.e the pool deck and the deck above - which is the same deck as the lawns on Reflection. The lawn is on a higher deck on other S class ships

The point I was making is that those decks which have loungers have very restricted space which wouldn't necessarily be the case if the under-utilised lawn area was given over to loungers rather than perpetuating the gimmick

Personally love the lawn area - it's like having a small park in the middle of a busy city. I gives a whole host of alternatives to just plonking yourself on a lounger. On celebrity eclipse it always seem to be in use - perhaps depends on the climate.

Personally I think the lawn area is a waste of space. During our 14 Equinox cruise we never touch the grass. We have at our home a lawn in the garden so it wasn't so special for us.

Spike11: Personally love the lawn area - it's like having a small park in the middle of a busy city. I gives a whole host of alternatives to just plonking yourself on a lounger. On celebrity eclipse it always seem to be in use - perhaps depends on the climate.

Appreciate these various emotions and opinions associated with this pro/con debate over the lawn and whether it is worth the efforts/cost for Celebrity to maintain. I am very mixed and split with my viewpoint/verdict. It does look good' date=' cool and interesting. These grass areas makes a nice "marketing angle". Fortunately, I do not have to worry on mowing this grass, nor keeping it nice with all of that salt-sea air floating around these areas.

Below are a couple of my lawn-related pictures from the Solstice during our two cruise on her.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio[/font']

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 120,799 views for this posting.

In the top, back area near the Sunset Bar with live grass, some enjoy this area by reading, playing on the lawn or sun-bathing there. Usually, it’s not too crowded!:

SolsticeLawnBackSunSoaking.jpg

On the top, back of the Solstice, here is a wider view of Corning Hot Glass show area, plus the green grass and the unique covering designs for this special area of the ship. Classy design touches and style!!:

SolsticeGlassGrassBack.jpg