Holiday cruise dining choices: MDR or Specialties?

GeezerCouple

Finally :)

Our long awaited first cruise with Oceania seems to be a reality this coming holiday season, on the Riviera.

No surprise, we are greatly looking forward to many dining delights, one of the reasons for wanting to start traveling with Oceania.

(Also gorgeous ship, and, of course, meeting fellow travelers - and for DH finally to have another time to relax.)

We were fortunate to have had a chance to dine on the Marina a few months ago, and the entire experience was everything we had expected.

We are trying to decide if the festive holiday dining times (Christmas Eve & Day, New Year's Eve) on Oceania ships are "special" in the MDR, and thus perhaps not the best time to reserve for any specialties for those meals.

Or... are the Specialty restaurants offering special choices then, too?

What might be recommended for "Oceania newbies" for the specific holiday dinners?

We'll probably be planning a dinner at La Reserve as well.

Yes, we'll be checking with our Roll Call, but we'd appreciate information from those with experiences on any previous Oceania holiday cruises.

Many thanks.

GeezerCouple

P.S. We are in the midst of relocating very elderly MIL cross country to an assisted living facility nearby.

This will be our first cruise or other overseas trip when we will be able to know that she is more comfortable and, especially, is safely looked after - a huge relief!

I don't doubt that knowing that your MIL is in good hands will be a huge relief while you are traveling!

As to your question, the only time we've been on board at holiday time was a couple of years ago for Thanksgiving. At that time we opted for the GDR which does do an excellent turkey dinner with all the trimmings. That voyage also had one of those spectacular Sunday morning brunches in the GDR.

From what I have heard the ship is decorated beautifully for Christmas and New Year's (I know there are photos here somewhere) and I'm sure the GDR does special meals on those cruises.

About the specialty restaurants I am not so sure ... again, I haven't been on board myself at those times. But I also do not recall having read that the specialty restaurants had any "special" meals to offer. It's my impression that it is the standard menus, although it could well be that they are decorated for the holidays as well.

I'm waiting for J&S to chime in!

Mura

We were on the Regatta for the past two Holiday cruises (not Riviera). However, there may be similarities. The ship was decorated beautifully, with the highlights being the decorated trees and the gingerbread village. No, there were no special dinners for New Years Eve or Christmas dinners in the MDR. We ate dinner in Polo for New Years(no special menu either), and did receive party hats and party favors for later that night, as a midnight celebration was held for all with sparkling wine, etc. will wait for others to respond that have been on the Riviera! We will make sure the ship is ready for you, as we are on the Riviera for the two itineraries previous to yours!

Edited by Cruseforme

We were on the Marina over Christmas and New Years 2 years ago. The ship was beautifully decorated as other posters stated. The MDR served goose as a special entree for Christmas Eve. The menu in the speciality restaurants were unchanged. Santa came on Christmas Eve and gave presents to the 5 children on board. Many of the adults had their pictures taken on Santa's lap. There were holiday brunches on both Christmas Day and New Years Day, and a party with hats, noisemakers and champagne on New Years Eve. It was very festive and a lot of fun.

If you plan on "La Reserve" make those resv asap. I'd think over the holidays it will fill up fast. "La Reserve is just something you don't want to miss---it's very, very good.

Come on Jim & Stan, get some photos out, I'd also like to see what "O" does for Christmas.

Rick

Edited by ronrick1943

182637.jpg-and this is what it looks like when the bigger ships get their Poinsietta and roping delivery-

understated..... eh what?

Thank you all.

This is exactly what we were hoping to learn.

MDR for the holiday meals it is!

And the photos, are, as usual, lovely.

To the mysterious StanandJim: Is that one of you being enveloped by the plants?

(Did you survive? ;))

We are SO looking forward to this trip: to Oceania, and to the Riviera especially.

L-o-n-g overdue...

GeezerCouple

Thank you all.

To the mysterious StanandJim: Is that one of you being enveloped by the plants?

(Did you survive? ;))

GeezerCouple

I'm thinking maybe Leslie Jon, but hard to tell.

The menu in the specialties always stay the same..if you want a holiday dinner MDR is the place for you to have dinner..

Jancruz1

A lot will depend on who the current Exec chef de Cuisine is.... and his nationality. It is he, who will decide what the kitchen will do.. We had an Australian chef on one cruise and his ideas for Thanks Giving and Christmas were NOT in keeping with our traditions.

YOU need to talk to theChef and feel him out as to what his culture base and bias is. That is very important to match your likes to his. Assume nothing if you want a tradition experience that matches.

A lot will depend on who the current Exec chef de Cuisine is.... and his nationality. It is he, who will decide what the kitchen will do.. We had an Australian chef on one cruise and his ideas for Thanks Giving and Christmas were NOT in keeping with our traditions.

YOU need to talk to theChef and feel him out as to what his culture base and bias is. That is very important to match your likes to his. Assume nothing if you want a tradition experience that matches.

Dan that is true but for certain you will not find any kind of change in menu in the specialties..

Jancruz1