Mass on board???

sweetlife

My mom is a devout Catholic. Goes to Mass daily. We are sending her on a cruise next week - - and I can already tell she is having issues with the possibility she won't be going to Mass on Sunday (ship leaves Saturday). Any chance there is Sunday Mass on board? Or a priest? Any way to find out if a Priest is on board? Thanks.

There are no priests on the ship. But they will hold a service if there is a volunteer priest on vacation who is fully accredited and has a letter of recommendation. Although you will have a hard time finding out ahead of the cruise.

Some ships do have a multi faith chapel, or will designate an area as such if interest is received.

No priests on Carnival ships, except if one is traveling and volunteers his time to officiate a mass or religious service. Of all the years I've been cruising on Carnival, I've only seen it once, back in 2008. Will your mom's ship be in port on Sunday? If so, it may be worth looking at local masses ashore.

If having mass onboard is a necessity for your mom, consider booking her on Holland America next time. They are one of the few cruise lines with a dedicated priest onboard on all of their ships and they hold Catholic mass on a daily basis.

I don't know for sure, but I believe that Celebrity is another cruise line with priests onboard.

Edited by Tapi

Carnival is in the travel/vacation business not the religion business, she should inquire if there will perhaps be one on cruise that they know of once she boards. If not, she should bring her prayer book of choice and arrange some quiet time for herself. Or if she has computer she can maybe stream a mass to look at.

Edited by Drazil65

No priests on Carnival ships, except if one is traveling and volunteers his time to officiate a mass or religious service. Of all the years I've been cruising on Carnival, I've only seen it once, back in 2008. Will your mom's ship be in port on Sunday? If so, it may be worth looking at local masses ashore.

If having mass onboard is a necessity for your mom, consider booking her on Holland America next time. They are one of the few cruise lines with a dedicated priest onboard on all of their ships and they hold Catholic mass on a daily basis.

I don't know for sure, but I believe that Celebrity is another cruise line with priests onboard.

Very true. Although we travel mostly with RCCL, we like having a priest on board when we travel on HAL.

Tell your Mom to go to the chapel and have some alone time and pray. It is not the same as a full Catholic mass, but saying the rosary in a chapel setting may make her feel better. I know it did me.

Also, as others have posted, there are ports that have churches that she may be able to attend a mass.

Good luck.....prayers are heard everywhere :)

According to Catholic rules, you have an obligation to attend (in person) church services. However, exceptions are made for many reasons including age, weather, caring for sick child. While on vacation, efforts should be made to fulfill the obligation but if you are far from a church, can't find a church, or you could not find a church than your obligation is waived.

The best action, is to talk to your church, explain it and if there is a service on board, attend it.

Huh, while I had heard that of HAL, I had not heard of it of Celebrity. Thanks

I did a bit more research and it seems like Celebrity discontinued the practice of having a priest onboard for all sailings a few years back. Instead, they provide priests just for major holidays.

I did a bit more research and it seems like Celebrity discontinued the practice of having a priest onboard for all sailings a few years back. Instead, they provide priests just for major holidays.

Still good input, thanks for looking into it further.

Crystal also carries a priest and so does QM2. Others do for major holidays and perhaps World Cruises, but as far as I know these ships and HAL are the only ones who do it regularly.

Roy