Currently on Eclipse Luninae service restricted

Gordoncruickshank

We are just off Summit and had bunch on 2 formal nights and maybe one other day, the 3rd formal night was a port day. Breakfast was open 7:30 to 9:00 on port days and 8:00 to 9:30 on sea days. We enjoyed brunch, breakfast and lunch and thought brunch offered a nice menu change.

Sounds like the Eclipse doesn't work for the Celebrity Cruise line managed by Lisa Lutoff-Perlo or she is unaware that her statements here are not being followed on the ship......or she doesn't care.

Celebrity has a huge history of announcing nice on board features and amenities that are never actually put into place or cut back quicker than you can say cut backs.

Clearly disconnects between marketing hype and on board budget constraints.

If people insist on breakfast, lunch and dinner every day, there won't be any brunch.

Hear hear - I am very disappointed at the possibility of losing this just because of pedantry on wording. It was a lovely feature and made such a change from what was on offer at other times on the cruise.

If people insist on breakfast, lunch and dinner every day, there won't be any brunch.

Hear hear - I am very disappointed at the possibility of losing this just because of pedantry on wording. It was a lovely feature and made such a change from what was on offer at other times on the cruise.

Same here......brunch was very nice.....I'm an early riser but don't run to eat immediately and this was such a nice option for us........oh well I guess all those wanting their "3 square meals" are happy.....

The original poster reported more than half the days on their cruise were brunch and 4 days of no breakfast in a row. I for one think they can do better than that and not eliminate brunch.

Why does offering BLD eliminate brunch completely? There is no reason they can't offer breakfast 7a-9:30, transition at 10a to brunch and close at 2. On formal nights for example this could be the plan, or select sea days. Maybe the breakfast menu can be scaled back on these days To lessen the load but this is what a premium product should offer, but I've always though Celebrity closes breakfast and lunch too early in general.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Certainly there are those that prefer brunch and others that prefer breakfast and lunch to be separate....both work. The issue was not which is right, it was giving folks the experience they signed up for with their money. If celebrity wants to serve brunch some days, then that should be in the advertising, press releases and on their web. Just don't say one thing and then do something else, inconsistently.

I think the original "issue" has been addressed by Celebrity....and perhaps someone should open a new thread on "luminae...brunch vs breakfast lunch"...and this one be closed.

The original poster reported more than half the days on their cruise were brunch and 4 days of no breakfast in a row. I for one think they can do better than that and not eliminate brunch.

Why does offering BLD eliminate brunch completely? There is no reason they can't offer breakfast 7a-9:30, transition at 10a to brunch and close at 2. On formal nights for example this could be the plan, or select sea days. Maybe the breakfast menu can be scaled back on these days To lessen the load but this is what a premium product should offer, but I've always though Celebrity closes breakfast and lunch too early in general.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Then there would be no lunch. If you can't call brunch, breakfast, you can't call brunch, lunch either. They wouldn't be providing what was promised.:rolleyes: I'm surprised Celebrity isn't out of business from lawsuits because of all the changes to dining times and designations through the years. The coming and goings of brunches and buffets especially come to mind. Maybe it's because they weren't messing with "Suite People". LOL Maybe they need to get "everyone" who books a suite to approve the menu and meal times too.

Edited by Ma Bell

If X would extend breakfast to a resonable hour...say 10am. And extend lunch until 2. Again reasonable. I think everyone would be happy. We can all get threre meals and eat at, what I would consider, normal hours.

And just if they would like to have :brunch: on one sea day every 7 days (like they used to do in MDR) have at it!

There's a good reason that most fine dining establishments aren't open for breakfast and lunch. It's possible that the scheduling of meals on each particular cruise may have something to do with providing proper prep time for your lovely dinner.

Sorry about being away so long but busy dealing with other room issues since then like a foul smell from the baths for 5 out of 8 days.

The issue will be a non return valve somewhere on the waste line but they seem to think sticking chemicals down the bath wastes works. It does for 2 days and then comes back.

Met food and bev manager and restaurant manager and they explained that they didn't think they had enough good menus as yet so the brunch was to give them the 3 lunch menus and 3 brunch ones to avoid repetition. Also because there are about 2600 passengers on board from the UK.

They did expand the brunch operation to 1.30pm to allow those who did breakfast in Blu a bit of recovery time before eating again. It isn't what they advertised but we could never eat that much food anyway and still fit in our clothes.

They will have to have this sorted before the ship returns to Miami though!

Edited by Gordoncruickshank

then there would be no lunch. If you can't call brunch, breakfast, you can't call brunch, lunch either. They wouldn't be providing what was promised.:rolleyes: I'm surprised celebrity isn't out of business from lawsuits because of all the changes to dining times and designations through the years. The coming and goings of brunches and buffets especially come to mind. Maybe it's because they weren't messing with "suite people". Lol maybe they need to get "everyone" who books a suite to approve the menu and meal times too.

I do wish there was a "Like" button on CC!

Edited by Gracie115

certainly there are those that prefer brunch and others that prefer breakfast and lunch to be separate....both work. The issue was not which is right, it was giving folks the experience they signed up for with their money. If celebrity wants to serve brunch some days, then that should be in the advertising, press releases and on their web. Just don't say one thing and then do something else, inconsistently.

I think the original "issue" has been addressed by celebrity....and perhaps someone should open a new thread on "luminae...brunch vs breakfast lunch"...and this one be closed.

++++1

There's a good reason that most fine dining establishments aren't open for breakfast and lunch. It's possible that the scheduling of meals on each particular cruise may have something to do with providing proper prep time for your lovely dinner.

Luminae is not fine dining. It is better dining. And perhaps the standard should be what good hotels serve - three meals a day - served for the convenience of the guest, not the kitchen.

While that applies to standalone restaurants, surely you don't mean to imply that a full service hotel, such as a Four Seasons, Ritz-Carlton, or Waldorf Astoria doesn't have have breakfast and lunch options?

We're new to Celebrity. Our booking information indicates that Luminae is available for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Luminae was one of the big selling points for us. We may have made a wrong choice. Perhaps I misread the whole suite benefits thing.

Edited by POA1

I don't think that that are scheduling for the kitchen. They need to be there for preparation anyway. The staff on the breakfast lunch days do 2 hours 7-9 and 1 and a half hours at lunch. If they do brunch it is 10 to 1.30 (at least until they get us off the ship) which the same hours.

The number of staff working at breakfast. Almost the entire team in at any time we have been there. Breakfast is busy between 8.30 and 9 but empty before then unless someone is on a trip.

One thing they do need to do is seriously reduce portion size as they are far too large, in our opinion.

While that applies to standalone restaurants, surely you don't mean to imply that a full service hotel, such as a Four Seasons, Ritz-Carlton, or Waldorf Astoria doesn't have have breakfast and lunch options?

We're new to Celebrity. Our booking information indicates that Luminae is available for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Luminae was one of the big selling points for us. We may have made a wrong choice. Perhaps I misread the whole suite benefits thing.

I think you need to read the posts here. It seems to be a case of what we are calling each meal. There are always breakfast, lunch and dinner items available daily whether it's called breakfast, lunch, dinner or brunch.

As far as full service hotels, breakfast and lunch are usually operated in a separate restaurant and many times the upscale dining restaurants are only opened for dinner. My post is only used to suggest that in order to provide an outstanding dinner experience, the breakfast, lunch or brunch items and times may not be as comprehensive as some would like.

Having experienced Luminae, it seems to me they try to do their best to make it work for everyone according to the itinerary. I'm sure you won't be disappointed, in fact most of the people who have complained before experiencing it have found it to be done well.

I don't think that that are scheduling for the kitchen. They need to be there for preparation anyway. The staff on the breakfast lunch days do 2 hours 7-9 and 1 and a half hours at lunch. If they do brunch it is 10 to 1.30 (at least until they get us off the ship) which the same hours.

The number of staff working at breakfast. Almost the entire team in at any time we have been there. Breakfast is busy between 8.30 and 9 but empty before then unless someone is on a trip.

One thing they do need to do is seriously reduce portion size as they are far too large, in our opinion.

As you can see, each itinerary seems to have it's own pattern. They do their best to satisfy everyone, but that's just not possible.

I think you need to read the posts here. It seems to be a case of what we are calling each meal. There are always breakfast, lunch and dinner items available daily whether it's called breakfast, lunch, dinner or brunch.

As far as full service hotels, breakfast and lunch are usually operated in a separate restaurant and many times the upscale dining restaurants are only opened for dinner. My post is only used to suggest that in order to provide an outstanding dinner experience, the breakfast, lunch or brunch items and times may not be as comprehensive as some would like.

Having experienced Luminae, it seems to me they try to do their best to make it work for everyone according to the itinerary. I'm sure you won't be disappointed, in fact most of the people who have complained before experiencing it have found it to be done well.

I read the posts, and I understand that breakfast is breakfast. Lunch is lunch. Brunch is a combination.

I was just trying to figure out where the dinner only restaurant was for suite guests. Sorry for the confusion. I'm just learning the Celebrity lingo.

Hate brunch, love brunch, breakfast too early, breakfast too late, portions too small, portions too large, lunch not long enough, breakfast not long enough, but there's not enough menu choices!

The only way to please this crowd is to open 24/7, & have suites guests order whatever they want, when they want it. Even then, i suspect this crowd would find something to bitch about. Just amazing! Flame away!

Luminae is not fine dining. It is better dining. And perhaps the standard should be what good hotels serve - three meals a day - served for the convenience of the guest, not the kitchen.

This. Agree

Come on, breakfast items or not, breakfast at 10am is hard to consider breakfast? Heck, lots of places close breakfast at 10am. Just try and get breakfast in the Ocean View cafe or MDR at 10am. If they have breakfast and lunch items on a "Brunch" menu, and keep brunch open until 1pm or 2pm that would cover lunch, but it is hard for me to accept that covering breakfast. When they did the massive brunch in the MDR, did that mean they cancelled breakfast? They also didn't do it multiple times per cruise. Oh, and I've experienced it first hand, and so has Kevin and many others who feel the ours could be improved.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

This. Agree

Come on, breakfast items or not, breakfast at 10am is hard to consider breakfast? Heck, lots of places close breakfast at 10am. Just try and get breakfast in the Ocean View cafe or MDR at 10am. If they have breakfast and lunch items on a "Brunch" menu, and keep brunch open until 1pm or 2pm that would cover lunch, but it is hard for me to accept that covering breakfast. When they did the massive brunch in the MDR, did that mean they cancelled breakfast? They also didn't do it multiple times per cruise. Oh, and I've experienced it first hand, and so has Kevin and many others who feel the ours could be improved.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I think brunch at 10AM easily passes for breakfast.....sure did for us.....wonderful omelet on the menu...and the yummy pastries....certainly not what one normally eats for lunch....was enough that we didn't need lunch later...

I have no issue with those that want 3 full meals each day, but I still think the meals should be somewhat itinerary based..... why have a full staff waiting for only a couple tables to show up for breakfast at 7AM on an eastbound TA when the clock has been moved 3 nights in a row....?. But, yes, I do realize X said they would provide that, and so they are it seems now.... perhaps they will rethink that proclamation, perhaps not..... :confused:

I think brunch at 10AM easily passes for breakfast.....sure did for us.....wonderful omelet on the menu...and the yummy pastries....certainly not what one normally eats for lunch....was enough that we didn't need lunch later...

I have no issue with those that want 3 full meals each day, but I still think the meals should be somewhat itinerary based..... why have a full staff waiting for only a couple tables to show up for breakfast at 7AM on an eastbound TA when the clock has been moved 3 nights in a row....?. But, yes, I do realize X said they would provide that, and so they are it seems now.... perhaps they will rethink that proclamation, perhaps not..... :confused:

As I stated previously, they can run a different menu for breakfast when they run brunch. They certainly don't need "full staff waiting".

Happy sailing,

Jenna

As I stated previously, they can run a different menu for breakfast when they run brunch. They certainly don't need "full staff waiting".

Happy sailing,

Jenna

IF they serve breakfast, and IF they serve brunch, utilizing a limited staff, there will be those that will complain of slow service.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

True enough, but not what they are doing as of now....the OP has stated, and it was certainly our experience too, that there IS a full staff there whenever they are open.....regardless of how many tables are occupied....

I think perhaps we are just easy when it comes to food outside of dinners on our cruises, others not so much. So the importance of Luminae being open for all meals all the time just is not a priority for us......obviously it is for others....to each his own.....:)