Currently on Eclipse Luninae service restricted

Gordoncruickshank

Hate brunch, love brunch, breakfast too early, breakfast too late, portions too small, portions too large, lunch not long enough, breakfast not long enough, but there's not enough menu choices!

The only way to please this crowd is to open 24/7, & have suites guests order whatever they want, when they want it. Even then, i suspect this crowd would find something to bitch about. Just amazing! Flame away!

I would suspect that most would at least like to have what was advertised happen. Then if Celebrity wants to exceed expectations, that is great!

This. Agree

Come on, breakfast items or not, breakfast at 10am is hard to consider breakfast? Heck, lots of places close breakfast at 10am. Just try and get breakfast in the Ocean View cafe or MDR at 10am. If they have breakfast and lunch items on a "Brunch" menu, and keep brunch open until 1pm or 2pm that would cover lunch, but it is hard for me to accept that covering breakfast. When they did the massive brunch in the MDR, did that mean they cancelled breakfast? They also didn't do it multiple times per cruise. Oh, and I've experienced it first hand, and so has Kevin and many others who feel the ours could be improved.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Come on, for those who want to eat earlier on those days, go to Blu, the buffet or have butler service. Almost anything can be improved, depending on one's point of view about what would satisfy him, it's just tough to make everyone happy all the time. If I heard or saw that there were a lot of people coming to breakfast and lunch every day, I might agree, but that certainly doesn't seem to be the case.

As you said, we know it's not possible to get breakfast in the MDR at 10, and Blu is closed at lunch time, all the more reason to have brunch for the people who are late risers, at least some of the days.

It seems to me that they are using the facilities to make it convenient for as many people as they possibly can, depending on the itinerary and usage.

Honestly, it doesn't matter one way or the other to me what they do as I can always find something to eat and I'm an early riser. I just like to consider everyone, not just myself.

This. Agree

Come on, breakfast items or not, breakfast at 10am is hard to consider breakfast? Heck, lots of places close breakfast at 10am. Just try and get breakfast in the Ocean View cafe or MDR at 10am. If they have breakfast and lunch items on a "Brunch" menu, and keep brunch open until 1pm or 2pm that would cover lunch, but it is hard for me to accept that covering breakfast. When they did the massive brunch in the MDR, did that mean they cancelled breakfast? They also didn't do it multiple times per cruise. Oh, and I've experienced it first hand, and so has Kevin and many others who feel the ours could be improved.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

As a matter of fact when they did the brunch, they did cancel breakfast in the MDR.

I would suspect that most would at least like to have what was advertised happen. Then if Celebrity wants to exceed expectations, that is great!

Hard to disagree with this. If people would try to look at it from the OP's perspective it's hard to argue his disappointment...but this is Cruise Critic.

The original poster reported more than half the days on their cruise were brunch and 4 days of no breakfast in a row. I for one think they can do better than that and not eliminate brunch.

Why does offering BLD eliminate brunch completely? There is no reason they can't offer breakfast 7a-9:30, transition at 10a to brunch and close at 2. On formal nights for example this could be the plan, or select sea days. Maybe the breakfast menu can be scaled back on these days To lessen the load but this is what a premium product should offer, but I've always though Celebrity closes breakfast and lunch too early in general.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

On our recent Infinity sailing the hours were mostly strictly enforced. Brunch was made special on sea days with the calorie cart coming by, it was obvious the staff needed to keep to the posted hours. Now it was a lovely experience, one that made enough of an impression I upgraded my next cruise too. But I really hope they get the hours worked with a little more flexibility.

And I also appreciate the stated policy being what is delivered, or at the very least if there is a brunch return, extend the hours. The reason no one is in the restaurant can be they couldn't make it on time or were turned away.

On our next trip I will be ordering a bit off menu and I hope it is as wonderful as the regular menu and not just something from the MDR.

The premium sky rocketed for SS suites who do not get the other amenities so that class is paying much higher premium for the restaurant. I would also be okay if they had better room service for breakfast as an option, I had not heard they did, but I noticed it mentioned.

Very pleased X responded, way to go!

On my recent Solstice cruise we were 2 of 4 people for lunch. Seems a waste of staff. I counted and most nights for dinner there were 20 people. I think many don`t care for the limited menu. I looked at the Blu and MDR menu everyday and there were much better choices. Also our meals in Tuscan Grill and Murano`s were better than Luminae. We stayed in Luminae mainly for the service and ambiance.

I think you need to read the posts here. It seems to be a case of what we are calling each meal. There are always breakfast, lunch and dinner items available daily whether it's called breakfast, lunch, dinner or brunch.

As far as full service hotels, breakfast and lunch are usually operated in a separate restaurant and many times the upscale dining restaurants are only opened for dinner. My post is only used to suggest that in order to provide an outstanding dinner experience, the breakfast, lunch or brunch items and times may not be as comprehensive as some would like.

Having experienced Luminae, it seems to me they try to do their best to make it work for everyone according to the itinerary. I'm sure you won't be disappointed, in fact most of the people who have complained before experiencing it have found it to be done well.

Thank you. I've been digging around the boards and I think I have it figured out We were particularly intrigued by the person who posted that Luminae weaned them off of Silversea. We love Silversea for those hard to reach ports, but we're looking forward to having more evening options available on X.

Also wanted to say thanks for the menus you posted. They are super helpful. :)

Edited by POA1

On my recent Solstice cruise we were 2 of 4 people for lunch. Seems a waste of staff. I counted and most nights for dinner there were 20 people. I think many don`t care for the limited menu. I looked at the Blu and MDR menu everyday and there were much better choices. Also our meals in Tuscan Grill and Murano`s were better than Luminae. We stayed in Luminae mainly for the service and ambiance.

Had not heard this kind of impression of Luminae before...we loved it...thought the 5 different choices each night were a good variety. I don't know what time you were dining but we were there on Eclipse usually between 6:30 and 7:30 and the front part of Luminae was nearly always full, the back, where we ate not as much but still most nights busy. The service was outstanding.

We dined at Tuscan, which we like, but both of us said if we hadn't gotten the free dinners in Spec Rest that goes with the suite we would have not have bothered. We thought Luminae was far better.

To each his own....that's why we have LOTS of choices...

Thank you. I've been digging around the boards and I think I have it figured out We were particularly intrigued by the person who posted that Luminae weaned them off of Silversea. We love Silversea for those hard to reach ports, but we're looking forward to having more evening options available on X.

Also wanted to say thanks for the menus you posted. They are super helpful. :)

You're very welcome. I'm glad they were helpful.:)

Just an update, the Eclipse is now "trialing" breakfast, lunch and dinner on sea days. Lunch was quite busy as was breakfast today.

Plumbing smell still not fixed 10 days into cruise. Waiting for another batch of plumbers who don't fix anything. The only way to stop it is to have all doors closed. Towels now carry the same foul smell.

So sorry your problems are continuing, have they any idea what is causing the smell? Is it your room specific or generally in your area? i assume they can not offer a room swap.

At least you now have your three meals being trialled! I hope you are enjoying. I am also very pleased Celebrity responded on your post. As you can see from the posts different people have their own agenda!

I think many of us, like you, simply want the correct information when we book and then we can make choices based on what is important for us. No disappointments then on boarding.

With sincere best wishes for the remainder of your cruise.

There's a big difference between an opinion and an agenda. I was concerned enough about the OP to email the F&B director to see if he could help. I'm very happy that he is satisfied now. For those of us who are not bothered by changes to the program when necessary, it doesn't matter one way or the other so there can't possibly be an agenda.

No personal reflection on your comment.

The point I was indicating was that Gordon had stared the post with a specific agenda that the three meals he had been expecting had not happened.

Others have then voiced opinions on which is best BLD vs Brunch/dinner creating another agenda...possibly good for another post.

Good idea to contact F and B manager.

So sorry your problems are continuing, have they any idea what is causing the smell? Is it your room specific or generally in your area? i assume they can not offer a room swap.

At least you now have your three meals being trialled! I hope you are enjoying. I am also very pleased Celebrity responded on your post. As you can see from the posts different people have their own agenda!

I think many of us, like you, simply want the correct information when we book and then we can make choices based on what is important for us. No disappointments then on boarding.

With sincere best wishes for the remainder of your cruise.

Thank you for the kind comments.

Other thAn letting people know what is actually going on I havee no agenda. 3 full meals a day is too much food for me and my wife although the smell is putting her off eating at all. Senior officers captains club thing tonight and chief engineer says they are definitely going to solve it tomorrow!!

That is day 11 of 13. We had three plumbers this evening and several this morning but no change. Tempted to get them to send us home from Lisbon tomorrow. I think they are now trying to fix it for the next cruise rather than ours.

We feel we are now on first name terms with almost all he senior officers but remain unconvinced that this is being solved. Even if it is if has ruined my 60th birthday cruise.

Edited by Gordoncruickshank

Come on, breakfast items or not, breakfast at 10am is hard to consider breakfast?

Not being a morning person, I can't recall the last time I ate breakfast before 10 or so. I'm often the guy racing to McDonalds to get last call for breakfast....

Which actually, even McDonalds is now up for doing breakfast all day.....so brunch makes even more sense now!

I love breakfast foods, just hate getting going to go get it. So on ship, usually find me doing the late morning left-overs on the buffet. People like me appreciate brunch more than breakfast. It's vacation after all, people should be sleeping in and relaxing!

Thank you for the kind comments.

Other thAn letting people know what is actually going on I havee no agenda. 3 full meals a day is too much food for me and my wife although the smell is putting her off eating at all. Senior officers captains club thing tonight and chief engineer says they are definitely going to solve it tomorrow!!

That is day 11 of 13. We had three plumbers this evening and several this morning but no change. Tempted to get them to send us home from Lisbon tomorrow. I think they are now trying to fix it for the next cruise rather than ours.

We feel we are now on first name terms with almost all he senior officers but remain unconvinced that this is being solved. Even if it is if has ruined my 60th birthday cruise.

Totally aside from the Luminae discussion I'm sorry you've had such a lousy time getting this odor problem corrected. I hope X has given you some compensation, actually a lot of compensation.... you are obviously in a suite so am sure you paid a premium price and for this to be unfixable for so long has no doubt affected your vacation.....I'm sorry this happened to you.

Not being a morning person, I can't recall the last time I ate breakfast before 10 or so. I'm often the guy racing to McDonalds to get last call for breakfast....

Which actually, even McDonalds is now up for doing breakfast all day.....so brunch makes even more sense now!

I love breakfast foods, just hate getting going to go get it. So on ship, usually find me doing the late morning left-overs on the buffet. People like me appreciate brunch more than breakfast. It's vacation after all, people should be sleeping in and relaxing!

I agree, breakfast foods are great, but serving breakfast foods all day is different than breakfast. Starting to serve a meal at 10am doesn't cover breakfast. Lots of stuff happening early on the ships from Yoga, Pilates, etc. have you been to the gym in the morning? It's packed.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I agree with Jenna....we are up early to enjoy sunrise, early morning walks, etc.

Buffet opens really early and breakfast time at BLU works well for us...brunch not the same.

We enjoy getting going in the morning, enjoy the pools before the crowds arrive.

Sleeping in late once or twice is ok, esp if a late night out...but we can sleep at home...