Currently on Eclipse Luninae service restricted

Gordoncruickshank

Those hotels either also offer an earlier breakfast or start brunch before 10:00

Depends upon the hotel. Often the main dining facility is strictly brunch, sometimes they have a less form venue that might be open.

I have seen brunches start as late as 10 if they have multiple restaurants (like the cruise ship). Though 9am seems to be more common.

The ironic thing is that it is often the more expensive hotels on land that on weekends offer brunch, instead of separate breakfast and lunch, usually commencing at a later start time then during the week. So it is a bit more then weasel words as you put it. So the use of the terms and the practice is not unusual in the travel industry.

In my experience, this may apply in the USA but not elsewhere in the world. In fact, I have noticed recently in the UK that breakfast is offered for longer hours on Sunday these days rather than the shorter hours the norm in the past.

The ironic thing is that it is often the more expensive hotels on land that on weekends offer brunch, instead of separate breakfast and lunch, usually commencing at a later start time then during the week. .

This is not our experience from travelling extensively around Europe and Asia stopping at what are generally regarded as the better hotels in town (usually equating to the more expensive hotels).

Breakfast may run later and eventually go on (in some cases) to become a champagne brunch (aimed perhaps at non residents) but breakfast has always been available.

Additionally, these days it appears less common for hotels to just offer a continental breakfast in their club lounges most seem to offer some cooked to order options (extensive options in some cases). Even the humble Holiday Inn that I stay at regularly for work in London now offers a full cooked to order breakfast service in a separate restaurant for their regular (not club level) guests. It's always virtually empty but someone in charge worked out that it keeps regular guests happy and only needs a couple of staff to cook the food and keep on top of things.

I do recall some odd thing about breakfast being brunch at the weekend in a Las Vegas hotel a few years back. But Vegas is Vegas and different rules seem to apply there and I generally don't use any Vegas hotel as a yardstick against which to judge other hotels.

Edited by DYKWIA

I can't believe how the Luminae policy changes between ships. On the Silhouette in July we had a dedicated breakfast and lunch, daily.

I'll be on the Eclipse in January and I won't stand for any watered down, abbreviated hours or service.

Suites are paying a PREMIUM for Luminae .

I would complain to the F&W manager. Brunch is BS. Maybe instead of lunch and dinner they can serve it as a combo from 4-6 and call it Linner to save $

After all, " there are a lot of other places to eat dinner on a ship "

I'm sure that you would also agree that between Blu, the MDR, the buffet, room service , the Concierge Lounge, the Elite breakfast, Bistro on five and the dreaded brunch in Luminae, there are many opportunities for breakfast.

Exactly.....and don't forget the pastries at Café al Bacio, the Aqua Spa Café, and in the case of CS, RS & PH whatever they might be serving in Michael's on any given day........

Exactly.....and don't forget the pastries at Café al Bacio, the Aqua Spa Café, and in the case of CS, RS & PH whatever they might be serving in Michael's on any given day........

But some of these places include non suite guests ;)

I can't believe how the Luminae policy changes between ships. On the Silhouette in July we had a dedicated breakfast and lunch, daily.

I'll be on the Eclipse in January and I won't stand for any watered down, abbreviated hours or service.

I would complain to the F&W manager. Brunch is BS. Maybe instead of lunch and dinner they can serve it as a combo from 4-6 and call it Linner to save $

Love this Kevin! Linner - lol. I've not had the opportunity to try Luminae yet but we have 15 nights booked for a P.C. cruise but not until 2017 - and much can change between now and then. Even so - we do expect that we get a reasonable product to what was advertised to us. People sailing currently booked and paid a premium price for a product that said there would be 3 meals a day in the suite restaurant. I too would be unhappy to not receive what was advertised and is still being advertised.

If you purchase front row seats to a concert and arrive to find that you are in the general seating area - but hey there are lots of other seats in the general area, just take your pick - the what the heck did you pay for those front row seats for? Same thing. :mad:

Celebrity needs to get this cleared up and then make this across the board - not this ship did this and this one did that. Once again a lack of being in touch with their customer.

And for those of you saying to just eat some place else - really? So if you show up to your assigned life boat and it is full - there are plenty of others - just go find one.

Realistically, how many people would show up for early breakfast while in a suite when they have butler service, Blu and the buffet? How many people would show up for lunch on a port day? The brunch covers late risers for breakfast and also lunch. Does it seem reasonable, considering that there are not that many suites, to keep a dining room open if only a couple of people will show up?

I'm sure the itinerary also has a lot to do with what the schedule is.

We book suites and I think a little common sense and understanding might be in order.

We showed up for Breakfast in Luminae virtually everyday. Although the Butler served us breakfast a couple of times, it was not the same standard as in Luminae, just the normal dining room breakfast, which was cold. And we did have lunch in Luminae on a couple of the Port Days. Guess we are all different in our needs!

We were on the Equinox and they offered breakfast everyday and no brunch. It's very curious why it would be different from ship to ship!

One of the few voices of reason on this board. Amen. Not only should it be open for three meals, breakfast and lunch should have hours extended. Maybe X should figure out why guests are not dining in the morning and afternoon hours? Also, the carribean cruises might show a different usage of Luminae.

I am eating at Daniel (Boulud) tomorrow in NYC, I hope they don't cancel my reservation and tell me to eat at McDonalds...bc that seems to be OK with most. Sheesh.

Although I do not care to eat my first meal until after 10 AM I have always considered a bunch a breakfast and a lunch.

Perhaps a significant number of guests prefer to eat a breakfast after 10AM and like it better.

I am going to experience the Luminate for the first time in less than a month on the Silhouette, so I will let you know the routine as we have 9 sea days. Personally I hope that they serve an early breakfast and I would bet they do.

Although I do not care to eat my first meal until after 10 AM I have always considered a bunch a breakfast and a lunch.

Perhaps a significant number of guests prefer to eat a breakfast after 10AM and like it better.

I am going to experience the Luminate for the first time in less than a month on the Silhouette, so I will let you know the routine as we have 9 sea days. Personally I hope that they serve an early breakfast and I would bet they do.

Are you giving odds on this bet? While I hope you're right, I'm not sure I'd be willing to bet on it happening, but I may take the bet it doesn't happen on sea days.

Happy sailing.

Jenna

I'm on CC every day but this is one of the things that annoys me... long pointless discussions of people complaining that the cruise line (whichever one I'm following) is not delivering, for whatever reason, exactly what they feel they were promised. For goodness sake, these are people (myself included) who can afford a suite, have a butler and access to an alternate specialty restaurant and are threatening to cancel their cruise because Luminea isn't serving breakfast early enough on a couple of days. There are worse things that can happen on a cruise. Missed ports. Noro. Storms. The mantra we have for any vacation is, "Live with it. Don't let minor inconveniences ruin it for you.".

Amen. Very well said. This endless bickering about a first world problem is beyond pity. It makes no sense to open a whole restaurant for lunch on port days to serve 2 tables, nor to open for breakfast at 7 am on sea days, especially not on this particular cruise, an eastbound transatlantic crossing. Common sense is completely missing in this discussion. And this endless repeating of "but the CEO said..."... you know what, she was wrong. Ta da. I guess some people on here are never wrong :/ "I was told there would be breakfast, so I need all waiters and all kitchen staff to wake up at 6 am to be ready to serve me and about 3 other people my bowl of muesli". Order room service from your butler. Go to Blue. Go to the MDR. Go to the buffet. 99.9% of the world can only dream of those choices.

Amen. Very well said. This endless bickering about a first world problem is beyond pity. It makes no sense to open a whole restaurant for lunch on port days to serve 2 tables, nor to open for breakfast at 7 am on sea days, especially not on this particular cruise, an eastbound transatlantic crossing. Common sense is completely missing in this discussion. And this endless repeating of "but the CEO said..."... you know what, she was wrong. Ta da. I guess some people on here are never wrong :/ "I was told there would be breakfast, so I need all waiters and all kitchen staff to wake up at 6 am to be ready to serve me and about 3 other people my bowl of muesli". Order room service from your butler. Go to Blue. Go to the MDR. Go to the buffet. 99.9% of the world can only dream of those choices.

So give me a discounted rate on my suite and maybe I will. It would also be nice if they are upfront about changes. If there is no more breakfast and lunch then advertise it that way!

Yet, another option for those of us who have yet to sail and are not beyond final payment date and find angst over this situation is to change cruise lines so as not to have to worry about such inconveniences for not getting what we are told we are paying for. After all, satisfaction in totality is the goal since we are paying for these things.... :rolleyes:

Just a thought, just a thought...

bon voyage

Sorry, I strongly disagree with you on this.

We DON'T sail in suites so I have no "skin in the game" as they say but if we did pay the high prices that Celebrity is charging for their suites I would certainly expect the 3 meals a day (and everything else! ) I was promised.

Yes, it's a first world problem but so is cruising in general.

There are a lot of people on this board who pay for something and don't care what is delivered . That is some times called "Bait and Switch". Not my problem after I pay for something how many other people eat lunch or what it cost the cruise line to operate the restaurant. If the are not happy with their operation, let people know in advance and rebate some of the fare . The answer is not eat somewhere else.

Since a brunch could technically satisfy the requirement as breakfast and lunch I would hardly call it bait and switch. There are ALWAYS breakfast, lunch and dinner items available in Luminae whether it's breakfast, lunch or brunch. The opening times are ALWAYS published in the daily that we receive the night before.

The problem with boards like Cruise Critic is that we seem to demand answers as to "exactly" what a program will be before it has truly been implemented. Most people do understand that varying conditions are reflected in operations aboard each individual ship and itinerary. What makes perfect sense on one may not on another.

Why would I want to eat in BLU or buffet if I can eat in Luminae? BLU has been subpar and chaotic the past few times we sailed on X. I prefer NOT to eat in the buffet, which is why I booked a suite. I want to eat in Luminae. Also, there are more people than you think that stay on the ship when in port. I am one of those passengers. On carribean cruises where some ports are less than desirable, I prefer staying in the quiet less crowded ship to relax. I would also like to have the option of eating breakfast and lunch while I am on the ship. What's good for one is not good for all.

Totally agree! I've booked a suite on Celebrity so I WOULDN'T have to eat at the Oceanview madhouse for lunch. I liked that Luminae had a dedicated lunch AND breakfast...and not a breakfast that shuts down at 8:30 am.

Since a brunch could technically satisfy the requirement as breakfast and lunch I would hardly call it bait and switch. There are ALWAYS breakfast, lunch and dinner items available in Luminae whether it's breakfast, lunch or brunch. The opening times are ALWAYS published in the daily that we receive the night before.

The problem with boards like Cruise Critic is that we seem to demand answers as to "exactly" what a program will be before it has truly been implemented. Most people do understand that varying conditions are reflected in operations aboard each individual ship and itinerary. What makes perfect sense on one may not on another.

With all due respect, we deserve breakfast during regular hours....not breakfast that ends at 8:30, or brunch that starts at 10:00.

This is typical Celebrity cost cutting at it's worst.

Edited by Kevnzworld

[quote=Ma Bell;47903839

I would hardly call posts on this topic "before it has truly been implemented"....Luminae has been open for months now.

Edited by ghstudio

Additionally, they have promised 3 meals, not Brunch and dinner. We had a thread, just like this before, Celebrity's official spokesperson AND their CEO both confirmed, 3 meals. Not breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Brunch, at 10 am is hard to consider breakfast, but definitively isn't 2 meals.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I agree with you.......each sailing is different with different needs.....but I guess some must have 3 squares a day in Luminae no matter what.....we cruise in suites too....we don't care that much...but to each his own....we are just happy to have Luminae at dinner, the other meals just aren't that important to us.... but on this thread we are obviously in the minority...

Edited by Gracie115

The great thing about cruise critic is when you add your comments the 'me' factor is not all important. We do cruise suites, Luminae is not the be all and end all to us, personally breakfast/lunch/brunch is no issue.

HOWEVER

This post was started by a couple who were disappointed that what they are receiving is not what they were expecting. How many alternative places there are to eat breakfast or lunch simply isn't relevant.

We experienced Luminae as it opened and this issue of three meals a day was a real issue then.

Quite simply Celebrity needs to clarify again. If BLD is not working on some cruises then simply be open about it. For those, like ourselves, it is not a problem but for those people who have booked a suite in the expectation of three meals a day then they have the right to know exactly what to expect.

As I said, I think the strength of cruise critic is about caring and responding to the feelings of fellow cruisers. I am upset the OP has not had the cruise experience he thought he booked. Isn't that what is important?