If a ship was going to miss a port when would you find out?

adoptivemommy

[ATTACH]364069[/ATTACH]

Maybe we won't be able to get back to Miami on Sat and should just cruise another week ;)

By Saturday you should be able to get back to Miami without a major problem.

Whichever way Joaquin goes, it should be well north of Miami by then.

In the morning when it's time to tender?

Unfortunately, yes that does happen, it's happened to us a couple of times. There were also a few times we had 1-2 days notice of a port change so it really just depends on the reason for schedule change (usually weather).

The best answer is as early as the cruise line and the captain can determine this is necessary. We actually missed one port call we were trying to get to the pier. The winds kept blowing the ship off course and finally the skipper cancelled the call. Another time, we we had already dropped anchor at Half Moon Cay when it was determined that conditions were deteriorating and tendering back from the island to the ship would be too hazardous. Usually, you will have more notice than these two incidents.

This past June we actually sat in the theater waiting for our tender over to half moon cay for an hour while they decided if it was safe to tender or not , and then it was cancelled . as much as I was so disappointed the waters looked choppy and it was cloudy, so the captain took us straight into the sunshine and we had a beautiful sunny sea day , it was a good call.

We also found out our stop at Roatan would be canceled after the captain tried a few times to bring the ship in safely to port but the cross winds were not going to allow it that day. So it's possible to find out of lost port all the way up until you are scheduled to dock. We were refunded port fees, nothing extra. This was about the 3-4 time I have missed a scheduled port, first time I was really bummed, have since learned to make lemonade and enjoy the extra sea day.

In the morning when it's time to tender?

In Caymans, it was a sunning but very winding day and the tender boats closed down. You could see the waves hitting the shore. we all watched as the announcement was made and understood, but still hard. Another time the captain made 3 attempts to get into Jamaica in a storm but could not do it safely. We appreciated his attempts, others were not so understanding and wanted a full refund. Always amazes me that if you go to a resort and it storms and you cannot go out and play, you do not ask for your money back or not tip, but for some reason on a cruise ship people get crazy mad?

So far I've only missed 2 ports of call since I started cruising 10 years ago ☺ one was due to industrial action (strikes in port) and once for rough sees, the first occasion we went to a different port the other we had an extra see day.

You've been lucky.

We've been cruising a little longer than you and had ports either skipped or rearranged on half (exactly half actually) of our cruises.

We had a port cancelled because someone from another ship, the day before, killed a terrorist that attacked the group. The cruiseline decided it was too dangerous, and we had a lovely additional day at sea.

We had a port cancelled because someone from another ship, the day before, killed a terrorist that attacked the group. The cruiseline decided it was too dangerous, and we had a lovely additional day at sea.

Sounds like a Goid enough reason to skip that one.

But I think they always have good reason, if the Capt doesn't want to go there neither do I.