Can I bring snacks?

rlower7

My friend is going on a NCL cruise in December.

She is wanting to know if she can take Snacks on with her?

I told her you cant take booze on but she wanted to know about snacks and Diet Coke?

I told her you cant take booze on but she wanted to know about snacks and Diet Coke?

Yes, she can take both soda and snacks....you can take them onto the ship, but can not take them off the ship at ports.

She does know that the cruise line will offer her enough free food that she could arrive as a passenger and leave as cargo?

To take OFF the ship, they need to be pre-packaged stuff. You can bring pretty much any food ON the ship...just can't take it all back off again!

They wouldn't let my DH on the ship with a piece of key lime pie in Key West.

He had to stand on the pier and eat it or throw it away.

He ate it:D

I was reading the recent posting of the Dailies from the Epic, western Mediterranean, and it had a warning on the first page:

"Agricultural Advisory:

Local authorities do not allow any fresh food items to be brought on or off of the ship. It is strictly prohibited in our ports of call leave the ship with fresh fruit, vegetables, sandwiches, dairy products. It is also strictly prohibited to bring food items of any kind back on board the Norwegian Epic. Failure to comply can result in an immediate fine of $500."

Does anyone know if that includes prepackaged items?

I had hoped to get pastries in Naples and save them for later, but looks like we'll have to eat them before getting back to the ship.

I was reading the recent posting of the Dailies from the Epic, western Mediterranean, and it had a warning on the first page:

"Agricultural Advisory:

Local authorities do not allow any fresh food items to be brought on or off of the ship. It is strictly prohibited in our ports of call leave the ship with fresh fruit, vegetables, sandwiches, dairy products. It is also strictly prohibited to bring food items of any kind back on board the Norwegian Epic. Failure to comply can result in an immediate fine of $500."

I had hoped to get pastries in Naples and save them for later, but looks like we'll have to eat them before getting back to the ship.

If they're packaged, they're ok to bring on-board. In Bermuda we could bring the rum cake onboard since it was packaged in plastic. In Istanbul the sellers asked if we were on a ship and they put our spices and tea in vacuum sealed plastic so we could take them onboard.

• 5 months later...
She does know that the cruise line will offer her enough free food that she could arrive as a passenger and leave as cargo?

Okay, this made me actually laugh out loud. BUT...my experience has been that most of the provided snacks (admittedly, I've only been on 3 cruises, and it's been a few years) were not necessarily what I wanted for snacks. There were plenty of cookies, desserts, etc, but I like to snack on things like pretzels, nuts, trail mix, etc, and my kids like chips now & then, and, while we could buy those items in the gift shop, they were most definitely not cheap. So I'm planning on bringing snacks too.

We always take packaged granola bars and bottled water/soda with us so we can take them to the beach or on our rented boat. We have never had a problem bringing them off the ship or the unopened ones back onto the ship.

"Agricultural Advisory:

If they are holding to their own rules then prepackaged food items are forbidden.

Check with Security while on board and if they say it is OK get it in writing. Then declare as you reboard.

https://www.ncl.com/faq#what-to-bring

From the Norwegian website it states no unsealed food items can be brought on the ship.

What can't I bring onboard?

Passenger is not allowed to bring on board the vessel any intoxicating liquors/beverages*, firearms, weapons of any kind, ammunition, explosive substances or any goods of a dangerous nature, nor animals of any kind, except service or guide animals, provided the passenger notifies Carrier prior to the cruise of his intention to bring such animal and agrees to take sole responsibility for any expense, damage, injuries or losses associated with or caused by such animal. *For more information read our FAQ "What about alcohol consumption and wine corkage?" Unsealed food items will not be allowed onboard.