Advice please

lbfluffy

We are scheduled to cruise on November 28th. I just found out I will need shoulder surgery. I'm just waiting on the approval from my insurance. I'm thinking I may have it in 3 weeks. My dr says I'll need to wear a sling for 4 weeks. Do you think I can still go on the cruise? I'm not planning to zip line or anything adventurous. Plus this is a job injury so I'll be off work at the time of my vacation. When you have a job injury can you still go on a vacation? Hoping someone with a similar issue can help.

We are scheduled to cruise on November 28th. I just found out I will need shoulder surgery. I'm just waiting on the approval from my insurance. I'm thinking I may have it in 3 weeks. My dr says I'll need to wear a sling for 4 weeks. Do you think I can still go on the cruise? I'm not planning to zip line or anything adventurous. Plus this is a job injury so I'll be off work at the time of my vacation. When you have a job injury can you still go on a vacation? Hoping someone with a similar issue can help.

You should be asking your DR and your employer, not cruise critic.

The major problem will not be the surgery or the doctor, but the physical therapy that will be taking place post op. With BWC injuries, you will be scheduled for therapy. When you start therapy, what kind of exercises you do, and what happens if there is a delay or interruption are all factors that you need to investigate. I missed a cruise because of a broken arm from a fall at work that required shoulder surgery. The break was fixed and I might have traveled, but it was the recommended therapy that stopped me. Investigate your options. My travel insurance paid so it was not a monetary loss.

Only your doctor will be able to tell you if you can cruise after the surgery.

I broke my arm 2 weeks before a scheduled cruise. I was then out of work on disability. When the nurse from the disability insurance called to check on me, I asked her if I was allowed to travel. She said I was allowed to do anything but WORK. I got to go on the cruise and didn't even have to use vacation time, as it was covered under my disability. :D

Yes, ask the dr and your insurance company. Get it in writing from the insurance people.:)

If you can get the dr's okay I think cruising is a great way to handle post surgery.

You don't have to clean, cook, tidy. Just what most dr's order! My last cruise was post op too.

I hope it works out for you!

Edited by sportsmum

My husband just had rotator cuff and bicep repair surgery. If you're having the same thing, I can say physical therapy doesn't start until a month after surgery. My husband could have gone on a cruise with the sling. He had no use of his arm for 4 weeks, no lifting the arm and could not hold anything larger than a coffee cup. Ask your doctor, I bet he says yes! Good luck

My husband just had rotator cuff and bicep repair surgery. If you're having the same thing, I can say physical therapy doesn't start until a month after surgery. My husband could have gone on a cruise with the sling. He had no use of his arm for 4 weeks, no lifting the arm and could not hold anything larger than a coffee cup. Ask your doctor, I bet he says yes! Good luck

Very good advice to ask the doctor. My surgeon required that I begin therapy within three days of the surgery for bone spurs and rotator cuff. His nurse called the therapist to verify that I had an appointment and to discuss the therapy required.

I did ask the medical assistant because the dr had an emergency. She said it should not be a problem. It all depends on the date I get in for surgery. I just asked my insurance department and she said I can go on vacation, just restricted to the limitations the doctor places on me. Shoot no sky diving this time around. LOL!!

I agree with an earlier poster who mentioned that physical therapy can be an issue which is why I had to reschedule a cruise three years ago. The surgery was a cinch but the weeks of therapy put a wrench in my schedule. I'm glad I didn't go on the cruise as the therapy was more important at the time.

Good luck.

This is the wrong place to ask this question. Try your MD, employer and insurer.

Depends on your work status. If you are just on a few days off you will likely be taking vacation for this. If you are on short term disability you are being paid by an insurance company that your employer put money in for any employee. You are not allowed to go into work. In my case I had 4-6 weeks off after surgery and had to go back to work for one day so I could use vacation (company did not allow vacation adjacent to disability). Doctor would not allow travel until he released me for work after 4 week minimum. So if you are off for two weeks and the doctor says ok to travel, you can cruise while on disability. I didn't have a PT issue.

• 2 months later...

How was the post op cruise?

I am having rotator cuff surgery Jan 6th and shopping for cruises around 10 days later and will get cruise insurance. Off work until the end of January and PT does not start until Feb.

Doc already said as long as no complications I can go and felt that it was a great was to relax. Better than sitting at home IMHO.

I did ask the medical assistant because the dr had an emergency. She said it should not be a problem. It all depends on the date I get in for surgery. I just asked my insurance department and she said I can go on vacation, just restricted to the limitations the doctor places on me. Shoot no sky diving this time around. LOL!!

Please speak to your doctor, not to a medical assistant. While she may know the doc's "usual routine," each case is different. You are paying for the doctor's many years of training and experience, not for the assistant's opinion of what he will most likely do.

As to cruising while on workman's comp or other medical leave, if the doc OK's it, then it is fine. If the doc wants you in PT, then you can't cruise.

Agree that you must discuss this with your surgeon. I would add, however, after having two complete Rotator Cuff Repairs two years apart, I would NOT put off any PT the surgeon suggests as the sooner you can start the sooner your should start! Timing is important for successful rehabilitation. The shoulder can "freeze" so easily if not properly rehabed.

Beyond this, my real concern about cruising so soon after surgery is protecting the shoulder from others. There is no way I would have intentionally put myself into situations where folks could/would be bumping into my arm/shoulder. Even a gentle bump could be very painful and a more serious one could harm the healing tissues. There are just too many times and places on cruise ships were there are lines, sometimes crowding and pushing, or simply bumping as passing each other. ALSO, IF it were to be rough, you only have one arm to hold onto things, fend off hitting the wall, etc.

Just my thoughts beyond asking you physician first and do not delay therapy.

Please speak to your doctor' date=' not to a medical assistant. While she may know the doc's "usual routine," each case is different. You are paying for the doctor's many years of training and experience, not for the assistant's opinion of what he will most likely do.

As to cruising while on workman's comp or other medical leave, if the doc OK's it, then it is fine. If the doc wants you in PT, then you can't cruise.[/quote']

Agree that you must discuss this with your surgeon. I would add, however, after having two complete Rotator Cuff Repairs two years apart, I would NOT put off any PT the surgeon suggests as the sooner you can start the sooner your should start! Timing is important for successful rehabilitation. The shoulder can "freeze" so easily if not properly rehabed.

Beyond this, my real concern about cruising so soon after surgery is protecting the shoulder from others. There is no way I would have intentionally put myself into situations where folks could/would be bumping into my arm/shoulder. Even a gentle bump could be very painful and a more serious one could harm the healing tissues. There are just too many times and places on cruise ships were there are lines, sometimes crowding and pushing, or simply bumping as passing each other. ALSO, IF it were to be rough, you only have one arm to hold onto things, fend off hitting the wall, etc.

Just my thoughts beyond asking you physician first and do not delay therapy.

The OP already sailed last month.