Review of The Salty Dog

Princessmich

I've always considered Princess Cruises to be very accessible. Now I'm hearing that the Salty Dog may not be so.

I am physically unable to get onto a high stool to eat. Just not going to happen, for several reasons. I'm sure I'm not the only one. We're going on Crown in December, and I hope they rethink this by then, because I/we were planning to eat there.

i've been on Crown several times, happily, because it it much more accessible than the other (earlier) Princess ships I've been on. I know this doesn't matter to most of you, but how would you like to compete for only six accessible seats, all in the back of the theater, to go see a show? That was my choice before Crown Princess.

I hope Princess is not taking a step backwards. But if I find that they are unable to accommodate me (and I'm really not asking for much, only a "normal" height table to eat from),I'll definitely file a complaint. Hopefully if enough of us do, they will change things.

I'd hate to have to miss Salty Dog. I hope they fix things before we get there.

M.

Princess should look at their demographics. Fortunately, I am able to use a bar stool but prefer to eat my meals/ snacks at a conventional table. I would have thought that as they are charging for this they would need to accommodate everyone in order to get as much revenue they can. I for one, will not be partaking. I just hope that we can still get a drink and entertainment there as this is one of my favourite areas on the ship.

nothing there that would want me to pay $19 covercharge

When I first heard about gastropub concept with $19 cover, my first thought was '[Heck] No!'. But upon reading the press release, it got me very interested in trying it. If Salty dog was just some random pub started by some random Princess galley staff member, I would pass. However, Princess must have shelled out big bucks in order to hire the Chef that started Umami Burger and Plan Check to create the menu for Salty Dog. I'm in the 30s/40s age demographic and these two restaurants are quite beloved amongst my piers. Can't wait to try it!

Hi All

Someone at the top of Princess is not thinking all these changes through,

happy to see new things,

but they can not be at the cost of tried and liked facilities,

Wheel house is a nice bar, with dance floor etc,

Now if you wanted to make better use of a place what about

re modelling Adagio bar with Share coming they could re work the whole area,

a good bar would bring folks to look at Share bring life to that part of the ship

at night.

The next issue is all these little costs makes other types of cruising be it river

or 5 star where everything is included more attractive.

yours Shogun

Shogun,

You are brilliant! Love the idea of putting Share in Adagio. No one is ever in there so it wouldn't be missed.

Yes, the Wheelhouse looks the same. Not sure of all the logistics..if its an every night offering or not. I would think you could still go to the lounge whether or not you're dining there.

Nice to read that the lounge most likely will not be impacted.

We were on the Crown on the ten day Mexico trip Sept/Oct. Had the pleasure of being one of four couples invited for a full dress reshersal run of the Salty Dog Gastoppub. The others were either officers or Princess officials. The only request was that we write a review of food and service. They did not have the specialty whiskeys but were coming for the next week. The service was top notch. Hotel general manager and Matre D came over a few times to see how we liked it. We thought the food was fantastic. The appetizers wonderful. The deserts beyond good. All of the entres we tried were very good. There are ten or twelve choices. We each picked three different ones so we could share the variety. We liked the choices available. The waiter even had a nice little book of pictures of all the entres so you could actually see what they looked like. Unless one wants steak I would go to the Gastropub over Crown grill especially for the variety. It is an upscale environment as well. Samir-the host- and our waiter - Kathleen - were outstanding. If anyone goes say hi to them for us. Larry & Pam

Thank you. It sounds great! Might have to try this next April.

Nice to read that the lounge most likely will not be impacted. .

The lounge will most definitely be impacted. I saw the layout on the Crown, and the tall tables now occupy over half the space, maybe more. There is a little area with just low tables and chairs, but that is some distance from the dance floor. No mistake that what they are doing here is making the Wheelhouse into a restaurant.

So, any word if the Pub Lunch will still be offered in the Wheel House Bar?

Edit: OK, saw the other posts on this subject. Looks like that sinse the GastroPub is a dinner event and the Pub Lunch is, obviously lunch, probably still an option. As far as happy hour, it would seem that it is early enough to not be affected by the new event either. We will be on the Ruby in January, so, I guess we will find out for sure then.

Oh boo! I was hoping this was taking over the pub lunch, more tasty options!! I prefer the dinner options in the dining room or specialty dining. Oh well, I might still have to try it anyway... I'm a sucker for new stuff:D

Oh boo! I was hoping this was taking over the pub lunch, more tasty options!! I prefer the dinner options in the dining room or specialty dining. Oh well, I might still have to try it anyway... I'm a sucker for new stuff:D

When I was on the Crown a week or so ago, the Pub Lunch was held in Crown Grill, not the newly redecorated Wheelhouse.

Here is a link to the menu on the Princess site for those who would like to see it larger:

http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/specialty-restaurants/the-salty-dog-gastropub/salty-dog-menu.pdf

It looks pretty good to me :)

Thank you! I tried everything and could not read from those tiny pictures!

Princess should look at their demographics.

That is exactly what Princess is / should be doing. Looking at demographics. Princess is looking at Millineals, as all companies are doing today. They communicate differently, tend to eat out differently, entertain differently, and want to be doing. Not sitting. They would be more than happy to pay $19 for a different dining experience outside the MDR at a forced time. They will change jobs and careers many times in a lifetime. They will not kill themselves or their marriages to make Partner, they saw there parents do that, and don't want any part of that. Facebook is like snail mail to them (are you following Princess on Instagram?), going out with friends or to a party is scheduled on smartphone Aps. Restaurants such as Share, brewpubs, eating as an event (chefs table) is the trend. This generation is the future and a company needs to get them hooked on the brand now. This generation does not want to sit at a forced time every night, getting glares if they are late or having be told what to wear and who to talk to They don't care about 90% of issues here on this board.....dress, dining time, hand washing obsessions, MDR lunch, "comphy chairs" etc. it's a different world out there, and the company that does not keep their eyes on wheel will soon run aground( thought I would keep it nautical!)

Edited by MrMan

That is exactly what Princess is / should be doing. Looking at demographics. Princess is looking at Millineals, as all companies are doing today. They communicate differently, tend to eat out differently, entertain differently, and want to be doing. Not sitting. They would be more than happy to pay $19 for a different dining experience outside the MDR at a forced time. They will change jobs and careers many times in a lifetime. They will not kill themselves or their marriages to make Partner, they saw there parents do that, and don't want any part of that. Facebook is like snail mail to them (are you following Princess on Instagram?), going out with friends or to a party is scheduled on smartphone Aps. Restaurants such as Share, brewpubs, eating as an event (chefs table) is the trend. This generation is the future and a company needs to get them hooked on the brand now. This generation does not want to sit at a forced time every night, getting glares if they are late or having be told what to wear and who to talk to They don't care about 90% of issues here on this board.....dress, dining time, hand washing obsessions, MDR lunch, "comphy chairs" etc. it's a different world out there, and the company that does not keep their eyes on wheel will soon run aground( thought I would keep it nautical!)

I hate to say it but you are right. Those that are not willing to change are going to be left behind and be very unhappy. Some of us old folk realize that and as hard as it is to accept its going to happen sooner or later.

I hate to say it but you are right. Those that are not willing to change are going to be left behind and be very unhappy. Some of us old folk realize that and as hard as it is to accept its going to happen sooner or later.

At 53 I am one of the old folk as well. I am a consultant at a big consulting firm ( average age 26), I live this stuff!

Totally agree with you.

I also think all this definitive negativity before anyone has actually experienced this new concept isn't exactly fair or helpful. I'm guessing many of the folks that have commented on this thread have such a strong inclination not to like The Salty Dog (or SHARE) that for them it will become a self fulfilling prophecy.

I'm looking forward to giving it a try (even though I don't currently have any cruises booked where it will be an option ;)).

Edited by msmoger

At 53 I am one of the old folk as well. I am a consultant at a big consulting firm ( average age 26), I live this stuff!

Ditto; I'm 57 1/2 and most of coworkers are much younger than me. Heck, my boss is 37.....:D:D:D

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

I also think all this definitive negativity before anyone has actually experienced this new concept isn't exactly fair or helpful. I'm guessing many of the folks that have commented on this thread have such a strong inclination not to like The Salty Dog (or SHARE) that for them it will become a self fulfilling prophecy.

I get to speak. I was there. I saw. I left. I did not think the upcharge was worth what they were offering. The issue with most people here, I think, is the sacrifice of a venue they have formerly enjoyed in order to give Princess a change to collect a few more nickels and dimes. I didn't hang out in Wheelhouse much, but I know lots of people did. What has happened is that a cozy lounge has been turned into a noisy restaurant. Most of the comfortable chairs and couches have been removed and replaced with tall fast-food tables with hard backed chairs (and the paper tablecloths.) The Wheelhouse on the Crown is no longer a place to sit and converse and dance. It's McDonald's with a fancy name (and inflated price tag.)

Edited by shredie

Agreed. They trashed the Wheelhouse.

For those who advocate change, and appealing to varied demographics, absolutely! But isn't this why Carnival has so many brands? Princess is a great brand bridging between Carnival and HAL while offering a modern experience to those who enjoy a traditional ship design.

Carnival needs to take advantage of the unique characteristics of their family of brands. They should evolve over time (like HAL is going with their newbuild) rather than at the suggestion of a spreadsheet jockey who won the parking spot of the month for selling $19 burgers.

I like the concept of a gastropub on a ship - no one is forcing anyone to partake of it. BUT I think Princess chose the wrong venue to put it in. The Wheelhouse Bar is almost a signature feature of Princess ships and although it's not our lounge of choice in the evenings I know it is for many others.

I like the concept of a gastropub on a ship - no one is forcing anyone to partake of it. BUT I think Princess chose the wrong venue to put it in. The Wheelhouse Bar is almost a signature feature of Princess ships and although it's not our lounge of choice in the evenings I know it is for many others.

I agree! I wish they used part of the Horizon Court or something.

Though - I am not overly thrilled with the menu and probably would not partake in it. I do like the concept though.