EU Rule 261 for delays, cancellations, etc

Valley Girl of VA

Coming home from Europe this summer we experienced a long flight delay. Did you know that the EU carriers have a rule that sets out compensation for you whether it is flying into Europe from the US on an EU carrier, flying within Europe or flying home from an EU country. My latest post explains Rule 261, what we did and the final result. Everyone should be aware of Rule 261 and keep it in your memory bank. This also applies to an award ticket and we were on an award ticket:

https://airlandandsea.wordpress.com/2015/10/12/eu-rule-261-important-if-you-fly-into-or-out-of-europe/

Jane

Yes, this is EU 261/2004. Just be aware it doesn't cover all delays. Anything out of the airline's control won't be covered (strikes, weather, etc.).

You are correct and I do say that in the blog - called extraordinary circumstances. Since mine was a mechanical delay, which is covered, I was sharing since most flyers are not aware of EU 261.

Jane

Interesting...I wasn't aware of this rule until recently when VaGirl (do all female cruisers in Virginia use some variation of this name?:rolleyes:) had a delay on her flight back from Barcelona and had to call upon it. She was traveling with her main squeeze and two young grandchildren so while like you the compensation was welcomed....I don't think it made up for the headache of dealing with antsy kids all day in the airport and then overnight in a strange hotel.

Thanks for posting!

Very interesting. I think this is what I was going for without realizing what it was actually called.

We experienced a terrible delay/finally cancellation upon returning from Barcelona to the US from our recent cruise. Our flights were on AA and the customer service was horrendous and we spent hours in the airport waiting to get some answers.

I have written a letter of complaint to both AA customer service addresses as well as trying to file a claim online (which is what I was advised to do)

It's been a month now and I've only received generic replies to all my correspondence.

Any advice as to how I can expedite?

As 6Rugrats said, it depends on why your flight was delayed/cancelled. Remember, EU 261 does not cover extraordinary circumstances like weather, strikes, closed airports, etc.

You might want to send your letter to: AA.ECClaims@aa.com

As I mentioned in my blog, you have to ask for compensation. You need to have in your letter your flight number, the date, the European departure airport, the arrival airport. In your letter tell them how many hours you were delayed, and why it was delayed. In the body of your letter give all the names in your party and either the ticket number or record locator number.

If AA denies your letter indicating that they consider a mechanical delay (if that is what delayed you) then send the relevant information (copy of your letter and their denial letter) to the national enforcement body - in this case Spain. Here is the link for all the enforcement bodies: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/themes/passengers/air/doc/2004_261_national_enforcement_bodies.pdf

Hope this helps

Jane

I would follow up now with AA with the email address I gave you. Then after the six week mark from when you first sent in your letter, you could then notify the National Enforcement Board. You do not have to wait to write to AA again.

Very interesting. I think this is what I was going for without realizing what it was actually called.

We experienced a terrible delay/finally cancellation upon returning from Barcelona to the US from our recent cruise. Our flights were on AA and the customer service was horrendous and we spent hours in the airport waiting to get some answers.

I have written a letter of complaint to both AA customer service addresses as well as trying to file a claim online (which is what I was advised to do)

It's been a month now and I've only received generic replies to all my correspondence.

Any advice as to how I can expedite?

The fact that you were on AA -- makes it highly unlikely that you will receive anything. In my experience, US carriers always deny you the compensation, citing "extraordinary circumstances". Has happened to me on both AA (where I have no status) and UA (where I have 1K).

Does not make it right but it is so. UA eventually sent me $600 coupon (not the 600 Euro) after I filed a DOT complaint.

My suggestion is to file a DOT complaint -- It will require AA to answer you.

Edited by PaulMCO

I have just been successful getting my EU 261 claim approved by United - if you read my blog where I talk about it I was given a choice of either the 600 euros, a $1000 travel voucher or 30,000 miles deposited to my frequent flyer account. I think with United having a new CEO, Oscar Munoz, they may be trying to rehabilitate their reputation. Again, if they do not pay, contact the national board.

Yes, this is EU 261/2004. Just be aware it doesn't cover all delays. Anything out of the airline's control won't be covered (strikes, weather, etc.).

Earlier this year I had a long delay on an Easyjet flight due to maintenance. Ended up being four hours. They finally got us a new aircraft but two passengers became ill as it was inbound from Moscow, causing a further delay, and I thought for sure Easyjet would use this as an "extraordinary circumstance" to get out of it. Luckily, they did not...when that money came through, boy was I happy!

Earlier this year I had a long delay on an Easyjet flight due to maintenance. Ended up being four hours. They finally got us a new aircraft but two passengers became ill as it was inbound from Moscow, causing a further delay, and I thought for sure Easyjet would use this as an "extraordinary circumstance" to get out of it. Luckily, they did not...when that money came through, boy was I happy!

Mechanical is covered and that was decided by the European Court of Justice in 2008 "technical issues during aircraft maintenance don’t constitute "extraordinary circumstances" that would allow airlines to avoid paying passengers compensation"

I know that mechanical is covered...but when we hit a further delay due to sick inbound passengers and the need to get police, medical and cleaning crews involved that i thought they might use that as an excuse of "extraordinary circumstances" to override the mechanical delay. I was very pleased when they did not.

For those who had a delay that would qualify for EU 261 compensation within the past three years - there are two companies that will seek compensation for you for a commission of the settlement. In my blog I write about both the companies. Personally, if I felt that I hit a roadblock or didn't have the time to go after the compensation, I would hire one of these companies. 75% percentage of the compensation would be better than me not going after it.

Here is my blog post: https://airlandandsea.wordpress.com/2015/10/20/eu-261-help-for-those-who-need-making-a-claim/

Let me know if you decide to hire them and what your experience has been like!

Jane

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you again! I got a response from AA and they are making us the offer. 600 euros or 1000 AA voucher. We're taking the money.

They are asking for our bank information. Is this the protocol? Not sure why they can't just mail a check

Can't help specifically, but having payment paid directly into your account would be seen as normal in the UK. Can't remember the last time I saw a cheque!

In certain countries they have to make a deposit directly into your account but the US is not one of the countries. I'm getting a prepaid VISA card worth the 600 euros from United. I would much rather have it deposited into my account.

Glad I could help

Thank you again! I got a response from AA and they are making us the offer. 600 euros or 1000 AA voucher. We're taking the money.

They are asking for our bank information. Is this the protocol? Not sure why they can't just mail a check

I have heard this is normal many times. In my case, the one time I claimed EU261, EasyJet tried to put it on my US debit card, but that failed, so they put it on my US credit card.