What is your experience with upgrade offers?

Leejnd4

Having not been on this board for months, suddenly my cruise is upon us and here I am starting my second thread in one day! :D I've had other things on my mind of late, but now that our sail date (January 3) is creeping up I'm once again deeply infected with Oceania Fever.

So...on to my question: I recall from all of my reading in this forum when I was planning this cruise that Oceania has a propensity to offer cabin upgrades at a reduced price as the sail date closes in. My question to all of you O regulars is, how likely do you think it is that we'll get one?

Specifically - we are kinda hoping we'll get a decent deal on an offer to upgrade from our B3 Veranda to a Penthouse. We wouldn't be interested in just a category upgrade - say from a B3 to a B2 or 1, or even to an A -- we were REALLY lucky to get the cabin we have (an extended balcony cabin), which we would lose if we moved up only in category. I would much rather have the bigger balcony than anything that comes with Concierge Class.

But we would leap at an opportunity to get into a Penthouse! We've told our travel agent as much, so she knows that we do NOT want any category upgrades, but we would definitely entertain an upgrade offer to a PH. We've actually considered taking the leap and booking it now at full pop, but the price is just a leeeeetle bit higher than we'd like to pay...especially if there's any chance we'll get an upgrade offer.

Soooo...what do you think are our chances? It wouldn't take much in terms of coming down in price to persuade us. :) Of course if we don't get it, we'll still be happy with our current cabin, but the extra room would sure be nice, especially since there's now 3 of us in the cabin.

Which brings up a fun little cabin selection story with a happy ending, if you're interested! Many months ago I posted numerous questions in this forum trying to gain a full understanding of the extended balcony cabins, and I finally figured it all out...in fact at this point I would say I have my Masters Degree in Oceania Extended Balcony Veranda Cabins! :D We managed to snag one of only four of them that has the big balcony with one end open, which helps to reduce the "tunnel vision" issue some people dislike about the other extended balcony cabins. The cabin we got was 7111, which has the open sidefacing forward. I would have preferred one of the two that has the open end facing aft (7008/7009), as that would reduce the wind buffeting when underway, but neither of them were available.

So...months go by, and just last week a friend of ours finally decided that she wanted to come along with us. Woohoo! This is already a girl's cruise - my friend Sandy and I are leaving the hubbies home on this trip, so we were happy to have Char join us. The six of us have cruised together before -- in fact Sandy and I met Char on the Paul Gauguin! -- so we know we'll have a blast.

But then came the glitch - 7111 doesn't have a sofa bed! We'd have to lose our cabin! Waaaahhhh...I can't even count the number of hours I spent trying to grasp all the nuances of the cabins on board our ship (Riviera) and how thrilled I was to snag 7111. :(

My TA emailed me my options...there were only two veranda cabins left that have the sofa bed. And one of them was...7009! One of the two I wanted to begin with! It's one of only two extended balcony with the open side facing aft, so we can sit out there while underway without getting buffeted to smithereens!

We nabbed that sucker, and we now consider Char our good luck charm. But ooooh...if we can get a PH for a decent price...we're hoping! :cool:

Lee, there is no way to predict. It depends on how many cabins have sold, how many cancelled at the final pay-up date, and other variables.

The best thing you can do to increase your chances is what you have already done: let your TA know that you are open to an upsell to a PH.

Ten years ago we got a last minute upsell to an OS on Regatta -- we'd been in a PH. I snagged it because I'd always wanted to travel in such luxury at least once. (Then I got spoiled ...)

Our other good deals have been when they wanted us to move from one cruise that was oversold to another that was not. That time we went from a PH on Regatta to a VS on Marina. That was a true upgrade in that we didn't have to pay any more and they gave us several other perks that we wouldn't have had otherwise.

Good luck! With three of you I'm sure you'd be much happier in a PH ...

Mura

There is a great deal of up-sell action within and between the various veranda cabin categories, but it is fairly rare to jump the Suite barrier.

111914.jpg The Penthouses are spectacular on Marina and Riviera, and the Butler Service adds "In Suite Specialty Dining", so Oceania does not give the experience away lightly.

I always say "Never say Never", but if you should happen to see such an offer, act immediately because you will be catching lightning in a bottle.

Yeah, I figured it was a crapshoot. If it was up to me, I would just book it now...but it's not just my pocketbook at stake here and I need to be sensitive to the budget of the other two.

Totally agree we would be far more comfortable in a suite.

StanandJim...I figured the likelihood of a *free* upgrade to a PH is pretty much nil, but I was hoping an upsell would be possible. Are upsells to PHs really uncommon? If so, I may see what I can do about trying to convince the others to just take the plunge...but I think it may be a hard sell to at least one of them.

StanandJim...I figured the likelihood of a *free* upgrade to a PH is pretty much nil, but I was hoping an upsell would be possible. Are upsells to PHs really uncommon? If so, I may see what I can do about trying to convince the others to just take the plunge...but I think it may be a hard sell to at least one of them.

I won't call "Standard to Suite" up-sells unheard of, but they usually correspond very very closely to the original price differential. Just between you and me and the bedpost (and this is only my opinion), it seems to me that the Revenue Dept is much more lenient regarding up-sells between similar cabin categories (i.e. Suite to Suite, Veranda to Veranda, etc.).

That said, a Penthouse won't be a panacea for your situation. The curtains between the sleeping and sofa areas don't close, and a standard Penthouse veranda is too small for a regulation height dining table, so you may be happier in your B cabin with the extended veranda.

My advice is to give your TA the power to accept the upsell to PH with certain terms.

ex.

We will accept a PH at X dollars per person without calling us.

(Also define location if needed. I personally have been in the very front of the ship and the very back and I don't get seasick)

Often the offer to upgrade to a PH is full before a TA can call you . . . . relay the offer. . . . and reply to Oceania.

Let your TA know what the most you will pay is, so that he/she does not have to call and ask.

I have also been in 7009 and loved it! You are in a win/win situation. The hard part about being in a PH is that you will wish for one every time you cruise Oceania.;)

I won't call "Standard to Suite" up-sells unheard of, but they usually correspond very very closely to the original price differential. Just between you and me and the bedpost (and this is only my opinion), it seems to me that the Revenue Dept is much more lenient regarding up-sells between similar cabin categories (i.e. Suite to Suite, Veranda to Veranda, etc.).

That said, a Penthouse won't be a panacea for your situation. The curtains between the sleeping and sofa areas don't close, and a standard Penthouse veranda is too small for a regulation height dining table, so you may be happier in your B cabin with the extended veranda.

As you said, it happens, I have no idea how rare it is. But I've gone from the lower levels to a Ph & an OC.

You never know, I think Dundeene gave you very good advice. Another thing is that you can have your TA contact O and see what they can do. Talk to your TA more about it. Don't lose heart, it could happen. Have you checked into availability for the Ph's on your cruise?

I just did a quick check on your cruise. PH3 is waitlisted but there are at least 7 cabins in both PH2 and PH1. The cost between your category and the PH2 is $1550 per person. About 80 days left. You never know. There is also plenty of availability in the middle from B3 to A1.

Edited by ORV

Thanks for all the feedback!

My advice is to give your TA the power to accept the upsell to PH with certain terms.

ex.

We will accept a PH at X dollars per person without calling us.

(Also define location if needed. I personally have been in the very front of the ship and the very back and I don't get seasick)

Often the offer to upgrade to a PH is full before a TA can call you . . . . relay the offer. . . . and reply to Oceania.

Let your TA know what the most you will pay is, so that he/she does not have to call and ask.

I have also been in 7009 and loved it! You are in a win/win situation. The hard part about being in a PH is that you will wish for one every time you cruise Oceania.;)

Great advice! I did tell her that we would jump on any reasonable upsell offer, so she would call me right away...but I like the idea of giving her a number that she is authorized to just purchase. I wouldn't want to lose out due to a delay in getting hold of me.

Good to know you loved 7009! I've read quite a few glowing reviews of it. So I totally agree we're in a win/win. :)

I just did a quick check on your cruise. PH3 is waitlisted but there are at least 7 cabins in both PH2 and PH1. The cost between your category and the PH2 is $1550 per person. About 80 days left. You never know. There is also plenty of availability in the middle from B3 to A1.

LOL I did the same thing...and there are several available. So maybe we'll get lucky! I wouldn't want anything in between B3 and A1...any category in between what we've got now and a PH would leave us in the same size room only without the huge balcony.

StanandJim...you may be right, we might just be happier in the cabin we've got. My TA already requested to have loungers put out on our balcony before we board, so we'll have all that extra room, and lovely loungers to lay out on. :)

Expanding on Leejnd4 query ~ we are in an G Inside Stateroom category, are there ever any opportunities to upgrade from those stateroom categories? Thank you.

Yes

Our friends upgraded to a Balcony on one of their cruises ..not sure what the fee was

Although we can't specifically mention websites there are some travel agencies that show rooms left, or at least up to 7 per category.

Try google with something like cruise cabin availability and see what happens.

Lee. The Balcony cabin you have booked is lovely especially with the extra outside space....but ....... for two occupants. I am concerned that this cabin, (extended or not!) will be a very tight fit for three ladies. If it is at all possible for your friends to stretch to a Penthouse suite, IMO you would all have a much more comfortable time.

The wardrobe arrangement is very awkward in the Balcony stateroom. It is a sliding door type, and it is very difficult to access the whole of the wardrobe, in fact I would say it is impossible to do so. Also, I found the drawer space, in the balcony stateroom only just adequate. The wardrobe in the Penthouse is a spacious walk in one, with many hangers and some deep drawers and the safe at eye level. There are lots of drawers, certainly space for three ladies' clothes and accessories.

The bathroom is much bigger with more storage space too.

Of course the balcony in the Penthouse is quite narrow, with no room for sun loungers, but the chairs do recline and are very comfortable. ( Don't forget the butler, although not essential, he is a great "extra" believe me)

In case you are wondering, Yes, we have stayed in both accommodations.( just two of us each time!)

Alternatively, perhaps you could invite a fourth lady to join your party and book a second balcony cabin?

Very best wishes for a lovely cruise, whatever you decide.

an up-grade twice in our sailing history with O...both times from a veranda to a PH...both required some extra $$...but the amount was very reasonable, we thought, and much less than paying for the PH from the initial booking! So don't lose heart...you just never know!! We have had the extended balcony on the O ships twice and like that extra balcony space...but with 3 of you I think the PH...as mentioned...would be a far better size for you all!! Let us know what happens!! LuAnn

I was offered and upsell from Concierge Balcony to Vista Suite. It was a good deal and the problem is I am now very spoiled and have booked another VS for a long cruise and a PH for another. I really enjoyed the extra space and these go very quickly so your TA should have your authority to act immediately within your specifications. Happy sailing.

Oh garsh! Now I'm thinking I really want that PH. :p

Next question: when you've received those upsell offers, at what point did you get them? How long should we wait before we just go ahead and upgrade ourselves at full pop?

Oh garsh! Now I'm thinking I really want that PH. :p

Next question: when you've received those upsell offers, at what point did you get them? How long should we wait before we just go ahead and upgrade ourselves at full pop?

I would wait and keep checking pricing and availability prior to full payment in case you want to pay for difference. RE: Upsells.. I had an inkling my cruise would be offering upsells because it was early cruise in May to Alaska and I could tell it was not full. Sure enough, about two weeks prior to sailing I received the offer.

Now I am like Mura, hard to go back to regular cabin size once you have experienced the VS. DH absolutely loves it too.

We were offered an upgrade to PH from Veranda at seven weeks out for less than 1/2 of the regular price differential. We jumped on it because we were also able to snag it with an entended balcony on Deck 7. Twas a heavenly way to enjoy the South Pacific. Keep your fingers crossed:)

If it is the case that the cruise is undersold and there are upgrade offers (that's a big if), it helps to have a good TA. One, who knows Oceania inner workings and is on top of things so that he/she can pass the offer along as soon as he/she is aware.

In other words, I wouldn't trust to have Bambi, the "cruise consultant" from a large internet cruise mill, who punches the clock at 5:00, passing these offers on in a timely manner.:)

If it is the case that the cruise is undersold and there are upgrade offers (that's a big if), it helps to have a good TA. One, who knows Oceania inner workings and is on top of things so that he/she can pass the offer along as soon as he/she is aware.

In other words, I wouldn't trust to have Bambi, the "cruise consultant" from a large internet cruise mill, who punches the clock at 5:00, passing these offers on in a timely manner.:)

I have two Oceania TAs, my fuller service person gets astounding up sell and move over offers for her clients. Her original prices are a little higher than my Internet TA but she is high volume with O and is most knowledgeable on their system. She is also knowledgeable on exotics. We've had upsell offers with her every time, I've learned don't take the first offer. They usually get better and cheaper. We had incredible move over offers on our recent summer trip, we kept saying no until the offer was too good to refuse. After we accepted the move over we accepted a a minor downgrade offer that was lucrative, followed by a great upsell just prior to sailing. I call Oceania let's make a deal.

I use the Internet TAs to book closer to sailing on slower selling ones that are discounted with great amenities. O does not fire sale but they sweeten the deal on last call offers.

Edited by sammiedawg

Thanks for all the feedback! I have a great TA...she works with O quite a lot. She knows full well we want a PH and to get in touch with me instantly if they come through with an offer. But I think I'm going to call her and see what she thinks about making an offer to O ourselves!

I have two Oceania TAs, my fuller service person gets astounding up sell and move over offers for her clients. Her original prices are a little higher than my Internet TA but she is high volume with O and is most knowledgeable on their system. She is also knowledgeable on exotics. We've had upsell offers with her every time, I've learned don't take the first offer. They usually get better and cheaper. We had incredible move over offers on our recent summer trip, we kept saying no until the offer was too good to refuse. After we accepted the move over we accepted a a minor downgrade offer that was lucrative, followed by a great upsell just prior to sailing. I call Oceania let's make a deal.

I use the Internet TAs to book closer to sailing on slower selling ones that are discounted with great amenities. O does not fire sale but they sweeten the deal on last call offers.

sammie, I hate to be stupid, but what is a "move over offer" please? I know upsells and downgrades, but I haven't heard of move over offers before.

This is our first O cruise, and from what I can see everything is waitlisted from Concierge A and up? Can things change that much?

I am probably missing the boat and apologies if I have.

Jacquie,

I referred to this kind of offer in my answer to Lee (not sure if it was on this thread or not).

We were booked on an oversold Alaska cruise in a PH. Oceania offered us a choice of one of three Med cruises a month or so later with an upgrade to a Vista (with no payment involved). They also gave us free Turkish visas, an extra $250 in OBC (we already had $1,000 for booking the Alaska cruise in the first season) and something else, I forget which. Maybe free internet.

It was an offer we couldn't refuse especially since it gave us our first opportunity to sail on Marina. This was in Oct 2011.

Obviously, there are no absolutes as to how often these offers come through or even if you will receive one. The best thing is to let your TA know that you are interested should such an offer come along.

Mura

Edited by Mura