Really....how safe is tendering ??

Rowsby

A few years ago we were ordered off Half Moon Cay early due to incoming poor weather. We were on the second tender and we had to make several attempts to get near the ship. More than once the gang plank was ripped away from the tender.

I don't think I will ever forget the lady in front of me. She was so scared and didn't want to leave the tender, but of course, she had to. When her turn came, she couldn't move. The crew had to reach out and grab her and pull her into the ship. I boarded immediately after and when we finally got through the check point, I stopped to ask her if she was okay. She was visibly shaken and started to cry. She was so scared. I sat with her a little while until she calmed down and some passengers she knew showed up to help her.

We went to our balcony and watched as the remaining passengers tried to board the ship. Swells were high and the tenders had to frequently leave the ship and try another attempt. I later discussed this with another passenger we had met and he told me that he was on the last tender. It took 1 ½ hours to unload it and he told me that every passenger on the tender was sick.

Flying back after the cruise we sat with the ship's nurse, who, ironically enough, we had spoken to while on HMC. She told us that there were injuries that day and also told us of other injuries that had occurred at other ports. It was during this conversation that I realized that we all assume some risk when we leave a ship. A twisted ankle, a trip here or a simple accident can mean that we cannot return to our cruise.

This is probably just wishful thinking....but what is the tendering like in Bora, Bora.....and Moorea....??

I was looking at the 52 day Tales of the South Pacific (26 Sept 2016)....

There are 27 ports (two are overnight)....and 15 of the 27 are tender ports...

We did 30 days in the South Pacific last year and we had no problems at Boa Bora, Moorea or any of the others. The fun part was watching the outriggers trying to surf on our wake, going to and from the ship.

Enjoy your cruise.

Helen:)

That was very nice of you to sit with her while she calmed down. Once when we were re-boarding from a tender at one of the Mexican ports, the tender suddenly did a huge "up and down" just as my DH was boarding. It scared the living daylights out of me as he seemed in danger of falling between the tender and the ship. The crew hauled him up but they were shaken too. I was more scared than him. It made me much more cautious about getting on and off from then on.

This is probably just wishful thinking....but what is the tendering like in Bora, Bora.....and Moorea....??

I was looking at the 52 day Tales of the South Pacific (26 Sept 2016)....

There are 27 ports (two are overnight)....and 15 of the 27 are tender ports...

Having recently returned from Moorea and Bora Bora, I can say that for us, the tendering was no problem. Inside the reef that surrounds the islands, the water is very smooth (especially if you have great weather as we did).

Cheers!

My memory of Nuku Hiva is a huge step up from the tender to the pier. It was also a bit rough, but the height made getting off the tender a real challenge. I was impressed yet again with the crew assisting people with mobility issues to disembark. Watching them hoist the motorized scooters off the tender, when the height difference to the pier was several feet, I was worried about THEM getting injured.

The captain did mention that it was a place that people with mobility issues should consider not visiting. I'm certain some who want to see a place (Marquesas) that they might never visit again went anyway.

We all need to be aware of our limitations, and those sadly may change due to time and injury. The crew tries to allow everyone who wants to tender to do so, but we also need to consider them when deciding whether to tender.

A tender is a small (life) boat. If you are not comfortable getting on and off a small boat, don't risk it. Even in calm seas, some people can't tolerate the motion of a small boat or the smell of diesel fumes. No fun if you are sick.

Picture yourself at a dock getting into a pleasure boat.....if you think that will be difficult for you, then getting on and off a tender is going to be major drama. Best to stay on the ship if you can't tolerate the climbing up and down and the motion and smells.

I'll be glad when the Grand Cayman government decides to build a dock at Georgetown but they need to argue about it for another 10 years I guess.

I'm legally blind in one eye, so I have depth perception and balance problems. Even though I'm relatively young (50's) and otherwise healthy, I HATE getting in the tenders. Since I dont see in "3D" vision like normal vision, it can be very difficult when the tender is boucing and moving. I've had really good luck relyiing on the crew to help me, and the best advice I can give is to use the two handles on the outside of the door opening. It's much easier for me to grab onto them, one in each hand, and then step on.

As far as overall safety, I know HAL takes this seriously. Over the years we have had more than a few tender port calls cancelled because of swells. A few were deceptive, where the water looked smooth (I remember starting at HMC thinking it was fine to go). But I trust the Captain to make the correct call.

We once sailed with my elderly FIL, who is challenged to walk on stairs. Although I've seen the crew help even those in wheelchairs transfer to the tender, ,we all opted to stay on the ship at the tendered port.

Another time, while sailing on Windstair sailing ships in Europe, the ship used the island (think it was Capri) tender. That tender looked like the rafts used on Tom Sawyer's island at Disney! I went out to the platform and knew I wouldn't feel comfortable without anything to grab on to, and decided to stay on the ship that day. I was upset, but I just didn't think I could do it with my eyesight. And, we had been there before and now I had a good reason to return ;)

Edited by WeLoveCruising

I learned on a small-ship Society Expeditions Indonesia cruise in 1989 that even safer is to grasp just above the wrists for a stronger hold, and I've notice some of the big-ship crew do this, too. Sometimes they'll grasp your forearm/elbow.

On that trip, most were tender ports for small islands, and all the tenders were motorized rubber Zodiacs bobbing around in the water.

Thanks. Good to know.

The first time I had to exit a tender/lifeboat in rough conditions, I was really impressed about how the crew handled it, from bringing it alongside the ship to timing our exits. I have no mobility problems, but I am a klutz. The crew in the lifeboat took my arms and "handed" me over to the crew on the ship at the right time in the waves. I also thought about it as a dry run for an emergency, especially when I noticed that this was my assigned lifeboat. I'm glad they have regular practice in loading and operating these boats, and that the engines are used. For taking tenders, I feel it's safe for me if the captain thinks it is. If I lose some mobility, I may rethink taking "optional" tender rides, but I trust that the HAL crew can evacuate us if necessary.

I did notice that some of the passengers refused help (yep, mostly men), and that there were some iffy moments. The same with using railings. I may get sick from touching railings, but I'll definitely hurt if I fall from not using them.

In Lahaina, much of the tendering is also done by the whale watching boats under contract to the port and cruise lines. The crews on these were very familiar with the seas there and excellent at getting passengers on and off. I have even stepped out of line in order to use these rather than the ship's tenders.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

I see the whole tendering process as a dryrun for evacuating the ship.

This thread has me wondering what would happen with some pax if they had to evacuate the ship and maybe float around for hours in a lifeboat.

It wouldn't be pretty!

When tendering, passengers must descend to the deck closest to the waterline and cross from a platform on the ship to a tender that has been launched and is moving with the sea. Even in moderate conditions, there can be ever-changing differences in height between the tender and the ship, and to a far lesser degree, some minor changes in the distance between the ship and tender. To board, you essentially have to step onto a moving target.

In a ship evacuation using lifeboats, passengers proceed to their muster station. The lifeboats will have been lowered on their davits to deck level, where passengers board. While the whole ship might be experiencing movement, the ship and lifeboats are moving together, not independently. When full, the lifeboat is lowered to the water and released.

While the craft used may be the same, there's really no similarity in the boarding process. One is limited to passengers with sufficient mobility to hit that moving target, the other is designed for all passengers.

In a ship evacuation using lifeboats, passengers proceed to their muster station. The lifeboats will have been lowered on their davits to deck level, where passengers board. While the whole ship might be experiencing movement, the ship and lifeboats are moving together, not independently. When full, the lifeboat is lowered to the water and released.

Ouch! Not true at all... definitely NOT! Once the boat is secured from the deck... anything can happen. When the boat is suspended from the davit can rock and roll. Any movement from the ship can make the movement of the boat worse... remember, I=they are suspended from the top of the davits on the falls (the wires). Even people moving in the boat can cause it to swing.

As the boat descended to the sea level.... the boat is still suspended from the highest point... ie the davit heads. The falls (wires) might be another forty to fifty feet higher. Not can the boat sway away from the ship.... considerable if the ship is rolling in the swell. And if the ship is pitching... the boats can swing forward and backward.

Then you have to release the boats. Is to be split second timing. If you are not at the right height the swells can come up and hit the boat. If too high the boat can drop... mind you head.

Then the falls have to be cleared and allow the boat to get away from the side of the ship

Get the picture. On a flat calm like TITANIC.... great. Anything more of a sea can only be worse.

Using the boats is the last option. As long is the ship is afloat and not in imminent sinking... you stay with the ship... or not on fire.

I don't won't scare people. The boats are for safety but there are dangers. Just an escape.... like from a plane or a building. You do what you do you best to safe lives.

Thanks, Topsham. Always good to have an old (mis)understanding corrected by an expert! :)

Sorry. I'm not trying to be a 'smart a**' :eek I just hope people can always 'aware'... not matter here they can be. At the end of the day... I'd rather be on ship than most other places!

Two years already I think have forgotten the CORCORDIA.... into the boats... in a flat calm. Watch the You Tube.... so many thing can go wrong... even just a simple launching. Watch the sinking of OCEANOS....horrible. The think is... you safer on a cruise ship.... than crossing a street!

Have a good cruise.

Stephen

Ouch! Not true at all... definitely NOT! Once the boat is secured from the deck... anything can happen. When the boat is suspended from the davit can rock and roll. Any movement from the ship can make the movement of the boat worse... remember, I=they are suspended from the top of the davits on the falls (the wires). Even people moving in the boat can cause it to swing.

As the boat descended to the sea level.... the boat is still suspended from the highest point... ie the davit heads. The falls (wires) might be another forty to fifty feet higher. Not can the boat sway away from the ship.... considerable if the ship is rolling in the swell. And if the ship is pitching... the boats can swing forward and backward.

Then you have to release the boats. Is to be split second timing. If you are not at the right height the swells can come up and hit the boat. If too high the boat can drop... mind you head.

Then the falls have to be cleared and allow the boat to get away from the side of the ship

Get the picture. On a flat calm like TITANIC.... great. Anything more of a sea can only be worse.

Using the boats is the last option. As long is the ship is afloat and not in imminent sinking... you stay with the ship... or not on fire.

I don't won't scare people. The boats are for safety but there are dangers. Just an escape.... like from a plane or a building. You do what you do you best to safe lives.

Thanks for this!

I was thinking of the ship listing several degrees, wind blowing, roll and pitch, with some pax panicking and .........

People actually think evacuating would all be like the Muster drill! Amazing!

We had a difficult tendering experience in Monte Carlo one year. The seas were rough and the Captain had to stop all tendering for a couple of hours. We were on the last tender and unfortunately, there was one woman who freaked out and passengers and crew had to restrain her. She was so afraid that she threatened to jump into the ocean and swim to the ship. When we finally were able to get to the ship, she pushed everyone out of the way and was first off the tender. The crew handled the situation very well and helped the rest of us off safely. You really must listen to the crew because they know how to time it just right to move between the ship and tender.

Thanks for this!

I was thinking of the ship listing several degrees, wind blowing, roll and pitch, with some pax panicking and .........

People actually think evacuating would all be like the Muster drill! Amazing!

Safety first! Modern ships are quite safe. Think about what might be happen and be ready... and always tell what you are told and attend musters. Helps everyone.

Safety first! Modern ships are quite safe. Think about what might be happen and be ready... and always tell what you are told and attend musters. Helps everyone.

Have a plan! Know how to get to your clothes/shoes/meds, etc and how to get out of your cabin and to your muster station, in the dark if need be. Have a small flash light available to you! When you're in a total power loss situation, emergency lighting should pop on but.....be ready if it doesn't

Have a plan! Know how to get to your clothes/shoes/meds, etc and how to get out of your cabin and to your muster station, in the dark if need be. Have a small flash light available to you! When you're in a total power loss situation, emergency lighting should pop on but.....be ready if it doesn't

Check, check, check, check!

Hope everyone else is prepared and has a plan.

Thanks for the good list!!

At least have one record that HAL has for all other ships.

March 1942, the ZAANDAM (2) was sunk in the second war, off Recife, Brazil by submarine U-174. Sadly, 135 were killed. There were 175 survivors. Three survived to live for 83 days on a raft without water or provisions. This record has never been broken.