Israel still safe?

christi1805

I know I saw on Twitter a few weeks ago that they skipped some of the Israel the loacal church here went to Jerusalem and the Red Sea a few months ago when thing in the media were being reported as being dangerous and were fine they said that the trouble is away from the tourist area check on board and take a ship based excersion as they will know where to go and about sercurty I hope you get to see them my dad was there a few years ago and said its amazing

IMO it´s never been safe for several decades now and I´d never travel there.

However my personal opinion aside if RCI decides the risk is too high they will cancel the stops, but of Course cruiselines can fail with their Approach as well, as it has happened before that cruise pssengers got victims to attacks.

There's a thread on the Celebrity forum "Celebrity ruined my cruise ..."

Seems their ship will be skipping the three days in Israel and going elsewhere.

I believe they said Greece is the new itinerary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We are visiting with Splendour ots in late November 2 Israel harbors, Haifa and Ashdod. With the ongoing 3rd Intifada revolts- is it safe to travel in Israel, particular Jerusalem and Dead Sea?

To clarify: There is NO intifada going on! Yes, we are going thru a very difficult time, but nothing close to an intifada- and things have been more quiet the last couple of days. DH and I went walking around a popular neighborhood in Jerusalem Thursday night, and there were many people in the cafes. There were extra police patrolling, and we felt safe.

Friends on Explorer say they didn't stop in Ashdod a few days ago. Said they could hear the missiles exploding.

As the air raid sirens didn't go off, your friends were very safe. What they may have heard was the sound of the Iron Dome rockets intercepting an incoming rocket further down the coast, in Ashkelon; the Iron Dome usually brings 2 or 3 loud explosions. It might not have even been that- it's not unusual to hear sonic booms from our fighter jets in the Ashdod area, especially in times like these.

It was fun siting on deck hearing the air raid sirens and watching the dock workers run for cover. I bet it was the quickest a ship has ever left Ashdod!

Pete

This has got to be one of the most insensitive and disgusting posts I have ever read. Even if it was meant as a joke, it was horribly uncalled for. There is nothing funny about air raid sirens, or of the people running for cover. You should hope to all he** that you never have to experience it. Just watch this video, and maybe you'll understand (and even apologize):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J8nbZFb1hNo

Edited by happy trailer

Friends on Explorer say they didn't stop in Ashdod a few days ago. Said they could hear the missiles exploding.

I live in Israel and I can assure you that those were not missiles exploding :confused:. The hostilities between us and the Gaza strip ended more than a year ago. Since then, we had may be 5 missiles fired sporadically, and those were immediately intercepted by the Iron Dome.

In Ashdod you hear lots of fighter jets, though.

YES, I can relate to your worries -- you're after all in vacation and want to enjoy every moment, but facts are facts.

The majority of incidents center in Jerusalem, and the perpetrators are targeting Jews - mainly those who r easily identified - soldiers/orthodox Jews :mad:.

The North - Haifa, the Sea of Galilee and the Dead Sea are calm, BUT, the cruise lines any way decided to skip Israel for the foreseeable future - so you don't have to worry about the stops here :).

Israel is one of the most wonderful places in the world. When you're actually there, you won't feel unsafe. The Dead Sea, Haifa, Sea of Galilee, etc. are completely safe. Cruises may choose not to visit, but if you're lucky enough to get the opportunity, don't pass it up.

Israel is one of the most wonderful places in the world. When you're actually there, you won't feel unsafe. The Dead Sea, Haifa, Sea of Galilee, etc. are completely safe. Cruises may choose not to visit, but if you're lucky enough to get the opportunity, don't pass it up.

Totally agree! I was lucky enough to do a 9 day tour of Israel last year. I never felt unsafe. It is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. I hope to go back for another visit sometime in the next few years.

Ruth,

That clip you shared was heart breaking. Thanks for letting us see a glimpse of others lives.

Sitting in our happy little tourist lives we cannot imagine the fear people live with daily in many parts of the world.

I loved my two days in Israel. It was amazing. I never felt unsafe. I have never seen so many guns..but only over shoulders.

Israel is such a stunning country. I was able to see Masada, Dead Sea and a full day and night in Jerusalem. We walked the streets at night without worry.

Stunning country! Beautiful people. Super food! And so many amazing icons.

We were there for the four missiles fired as Ashdod. Three were intercepted, one hit land with no injuries.

Loved my time there.

Raina

IMO it´s never been safe for several decades now and I´d never travel there.

However my personal opinion aside if RCI decides the risk is too high they will cancel the stops, but of Course cruiselines can fail with their Approach as well, as it has happened before that cruise pssengers got victims to attacks.

I live in Israel & feel very safe here.

There are many areas in Europe & the USA that I wouldn't visit.

I feel safer here than some parts of the UK.

We live next to the Sea of Galilee. Today there are many tourists currently in this beautiful part of the country enjoying this interesting area filled with history.

The recent terrorism has been directed specificially against religious jews, soldiers & policeman.

Tour companies are well aware of areas that are unsafe & have your safety as their highest priority. They will not take you to sensitive areas.

We live next to the Sea of Galilee. Today there are many tourists currently in this beautiful part of the country enjoying this interesting area filled with history.

The recent terrorism has been directed specificially against religious jews, soldiers & policeman.

Tour companies are well aware of areas that are unsafe & have your safety as their highest priority. They will not take you to sensitive areas.

I can't wait for my trip next summer. It will be my second time and I have no concerns. Of course, I wouldn't see Israel on a cruise ship vacation. You would miss too much not being there for 7-10 days. If I were to visit Jerusalem right now, I might avoid public buses though.

I agree with the person who said Israel is never safe. I was on a 10 day land tour October 2014. The war was supposedly over, and we were told that it was safe. Being in the Old City and hearing the bombs exploding is not my idea of safe. People died!!!!! After that experience, I said that I would never return to Israel. My spouse convinced me that if we booked a cruise that included Israel, it would only stop if it was safe. We were on the Silhouette that docked in Israel on Oct.7-9,2015. We hired a private tour guide. We asked not to return to the Old City in Jerusalem. However, we did visit the Western Wall for a very brief visit late in an afternoon. We drove on Oct. 8th in the van into through the Jaffa Gate and parked next to the Wall. Strangely enough there were NO pedestrians in the Old City. The streets were empty. At the Wall, there were thousands of military. I almost freaked out until we were told by our guide that it was a military celebration for new recruits getting their first guns. We stayed about 15 minutes and drove away. Now I will never return either by land or cruise. While I am glad that I did see many interesting sites, the feeling of being unsafe is not for me. If you do go, hire a good guide. Do not go out on your own.

We just got off Explorer of the Seas. We did not stop in Ashdod and had a sea day since our next stop was Aqaba. They did not tell us until 8:30 the night before our stop. We were disappointed as we had a private tour scheduled but the tour company was gracious and didn't charge us. They usually wait until the last possible minute to cancel.