Lobster night (Fisherman's Platter) ?

rt1092

For a while, 5 night cruises "on this side of the pond" all had the Fisherman's Platter.

Now some people are reporting that on "their" 5 nighter, there was no lobster tail.

The reports seem to me to be sporadic and without pattern.

So........................

I´ve recently been on Liberty to Bermuda and the Food was excellent both in MDR and Windjammer.

IIRC the Fishermans Platter was not served on the Bermuda run, but on the following Canada cruise. I think the waiter said the menu was exchanged on short notice. I don´t really pay Attention to the Lobster as I don´t eat it anyway. ;)

For a while, 5 night cruises "on this side of the pond" all had the Fisherman's Platter.

Now some people are reporting that on "their" 5 nighter, there was no lobster tail.

The reports seem to me to be sporadic and without pattern.

So........................

9 nighter to Canada/New England last month on Brilliance No Fishermans platter (although we had really good lobster in several places, so no loss). Hotel Director said it would be evaluated on each cruise based on "price". No real explanation of that.

How is the lobster on RCI? I see so many posts about when it is served. Is it really that good? Or, is it the equivalent of something I could get at my local Red Lobster?

The "free" lobster is not cold water, Maine lobster. Some sort of warm water lobster.

How is the lobster on RCI? I see so many posts about when it is served. Is it really that good? Or, is it the equivalent of something I could get at my local Red Lobster?

You're much better off at Red Lobster.

Other than the fact that the lobster is "free", why are some so excited about it?

Just my opinion but I don't think a lot people are willing to pay the price for it in a land based restaurant and it's free on the ship...free being a relative term. Because of where we live, we're able to partake of cold water lobster often and I honestly don't think the warm water lobster is as bad as the rap it gets here some times. I will order it when available.

Just my opinion but I don't think a lot people are willing to pay the price for it in a land based restaurant and it's free on the ship...free being a relative term. Because of where we live, we're able to partake of cold water lobster often and I honestly don't think the warm water lobster is as bad as the rap it gets here some times. I will order it when available.

You're truly fortunate. I'll always remember some lobster I had in Connecticut. I was just curious why so many were looking forward to the MDR lobster. I have to admit we are fairly new to cruising and we tend to avoid anything associated with formal. I was wondering if we were missing something truly special. Guess we'll just go to Red Lobster and leave the coat and tie at home.

We had lobster on the five day August and it was not bad. I guess it would be more fun to have lobster in Maine[emoji41]

It would be more fun because it would be fresh not frozen and would taste waaaaaay better than those "big bugs" they pass off as lobster on the ship. To be fair , I should say that on a couple of rare occasions, we have had cold water lobster on a cruise ,and it was pretty good! Not the norm, however. :)

You're truly fortunate. I'll always remember some lobster I had in Connecticut. I was just curious why so many were looking forward to the MDR lobster. I have to admit we are fairly new to cruising and we tend to avoid anything associated with formal. I was wondering if we were missing something truly special. Guess we'll just go to Red Lobster and leave the coat and tie at home.

And you could still leave the coat and tie in your stateroom and go to MDR for the lobster. As long as you're not in shorts and tank tops, you're pretty much fine to go in the MDR.

Unless you order one out of the tank and pay a BIG "market pice" for it at Red lobster, the lobster you will get on their seafood platter is the SAME clawless spiny/Florida/Caribbean lobster you will get on the cruise. Red Lobster is terrible and I totally disagree you would be better off there unless you want to pay about 30 dollars a pound. I think the cruise ship lobster is fine. most of us are no fortune enough to get Maine lobster "fresh off the boat" for 3.00 a pound :cool:

I was on a 7-night cruise on Independence of the Seas in May and don't remember any seafood on the menu in the MDR other than shrimp and salmon. No white fish or lobster. I paid close attention to the menu and did not see lobster or fisherman's platter. I would have ordered if it was offered.

We did eat at the 2 specialty restaurants - Giovanni's Table and Chops Grille and both had very good white fish. This had been our first cruise on Royal Caribbean in 4 years and I was disappointed in the menu selection in the MDR. I remember lobster on previous RC cruises. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt - maybe lobster was offered in the MDR at least one of the 2 nights we ate in the specialty restaurants.