Gratuities

cruise saint

We are going on our first ever cruise next year for our honeymoon. As we are completely new to cruising, I may ask some questions that seem a bit mundane or even silly - so apologies in advance.

Anyway, this question is about gratuities. As we will pay a fixed daily amount for gratuities, is there a need to pay anymore than this to any particular people involved in the cruise - e.g port baggage handlers, regular waiting staff and in particular our cabin steward?

Congrats on your first cruise...on your HONEYMOON..:)

The gratuities cover just about everyone.

The only exceptions I can think of, is the port baggage handlers. They do not work for the cruise line. Most people tip $1 per bag being loaded on the ship. KEEP YOUR CARRY ON WITH YOU at all times.....and keep all of your valuables in the carry on. Only clothes, shoes, toiletries should be in your large suitcase.

The other one is the Room Service delivery person. Depending how much you order....anywhere from $2 to $5 should be sufficient.

You may tip extra to your room steward if you want, or extra to the bartenders, but this is totally not necessary.

Have a wonderful time....what ship are you sailing?

I see the OP is from Australia.

The question you are asking is totally dependant upon the customs and traditions of the area you are sailing in or from.

If you are sailing from Australia, I "think" the answer is that no additional tips are necessary for the entire trip.

If sailing from Europe, that area is different.

If sailing from the States,,, then everyone has their hand out expecting additional gratuities. (:D Well, not everyone, but sure seems like it)

Congrats on your first cruise...on your HONEYMOON..:)

The gratuities cover just about everyone.

The only exceptions I can think of, is the port baggage handlers. They do not work for the cruise line. Most people tip $1 per bag being loaded on the ship. KEEP YOUR CARRY ON WITH YOU at all times.....and keep all of your valuables in the carry on. Only clothes, shoes, toiletries should be in your large suitcase.

The other one is the Room Service delivery person. Depending how much you order....anywhere from $2 to $5 should be sufficient.

You may tip extra to your room steward if you want, or extra to the bartenders, but this is totally not necessary.

Have a wonderful time....what ship are you sailing?

Good advice,,, ONLY if the OP is sailing from the U.S.

Congrats :)

If you partake in the ship's SPA, the attendants and masseuse, sometimes are not part of the tip pool as they work for that particular vendor. Check with one of the forums below dedicated to your cruise line for particulars.

I agree, need to tip porters that handle your bags ( they do not work for cruise lines) we tip them about 2 a bag. Also room service a few couple of dollars if you use them. Everything else is optional, if you had a great room steward or waiter you could tip extra that goes with bartenders also. Might be a good idea to bring some singles and 5's for tipping. Have a great cruise

We are going on our first ever cruise next year for our honeymoon. As we are completely new to cruising, I may ask some questions that seem a bit mundane or even silly - so apologies in advance.

Anyway, this question is about gratuities. As we will pay a fixed daily amount for gratuities, is there a need to pay anymore than this to any particular people involved in the cruise - e.g port baggage handlers, regular waiting staff and in particular our cabin steward?

the daily charge covers all meals in included dining venues and your cabin attendant.

it does NOT cover room service, the baggage handlers at the port or any item or service that incurs a charge(specialty restaurants, alcohol, spa treatments etc)

most drinks packages already include the gratuity in the cost so if you have done of this there is no requirement to tip again, although you certainly may of you wish to reward extra special service.

It would appear OP is sailing P&O Brittania, which is doing Med cruises in September 2016.

In which case, sailing from Southampton.

Baggage handlers at Southampton don't expect tips. Which is just as well, cos few offer them. ;)

So just for room service deliveries - a pound or two or a euro or two.

Auto-gratuities are lower than on US ships and no service charge for drinks.

No need to tip extra to cabin attendant, waiters or bar staff, but some do - in cash. Tell the recipient that you've left the auto-tip in place, and this is a little extra for excellent service.

BTW, the itinerary suggests that cruise saint may be from Perth in Scotland rather than Perth in Aus.

I have an easy way to find out:

cruise saint - what do you think of the standard of refereeing at the Rugby World Cup? ;)

JB :)

the daily charge covers all meals in included dining venues and your cabin attendant.

it does NOT cover room service...

Where room service incurs no additional charge, the daily charge nominally covers room service delivery, although from CruiseCritic discussions it appears to be common for people to tip a dollar or two for room service (as we do). But it's neither required nor expected (as for example the way a hotel porter might look at you expectantly after showing you how to open the blinds and set the temperature in your room).

Baggage handlers for sure. I was told no tipping in Italy but when we pulled up to the port the porter waited to see my money before he unloaded the car. There was a definite pregnant pause. I had handed the money to my DH to give him but he was busy in the back seat. After I took the money from his hand our bags were unloaded. So much for no tipping in Italy LOL.

Sorry, just realised my post was a bit vague. I'm from Perth, Scotland and sailing on Britannia from Southampton. No comment on Rugby referees though:D

Just to explain cruise saint's comment, Scotland (where one Perth is located) was robbed by the referee in the rugby World Cup match against the Australians (where another Perth is located).

The Wallabies (Aus) move on to play Argentina because Joubert, the South African referee made a critical and erroneous off sides call in the waning minutes. The Scots are relegated to the sidelines having been eliminated.

See this article in the Sydney (Aus) Morning Herald for details of the matter:

Rugby World Cup 2015: Australia survive Scotland fightback to advance to semi-finals

If you're driving, you can stop close to the chutes for luggage, which are well marked; if you're on the coach you'll not see your cases until your cabin; by taxi- they pull up close to the chutes. I've not seen a stevedore holding out his hand for a tip...in fact, at City Terminal they just nodded to me where to leave the cases.

We often eat in the buffet, so if there's a tip box out, we often put something in there. Otherwise, there's very little pressure on P&O or at their terminals.

Sorry, just realised my post was a bit vague. I'm from Perth, Scotland and sailing on Britannia from Southampton. No comment on Rugby referees though:D

You may want to add U.K. to your location in your profile or you will get all sorts of answers pertaining to Australia :D

Agreed. I had no idea there was a Perth, Scotland. :)

:D Love it! This happens a lot, when a place in a new country adopts the name of an original town....in my early days here on CC, I was just going to answer a post about where to stay in Newark, a delightful market town in Lincolnshire, until I realised there was a newer Newark...:rolleyes:

And Facebook won't let me enter my college town, the place where the Viking Scarth over came a little borough on the Yorkshire coast. Instead, it insists that I was educated in Scarborough, Canada....:cool:

You can tip as much or as little as you wish to whomever you wish. If you prefer to have complete control, you may instruct the pursers desk staff to remove the auto gratuities (which are discretionary but you have to opt out of them rather than opt in) and just pay cash to whomever you choose personally if you feel they have excelled. If not you don't need to tip at all.

Hi Cruise Saint,

As in the above answers, everything is covered by the daily 'autotips'. The baggage handlers at Southampton never hang about waiting to be offered tips, in my experience. As the P&O daily rate is roughly half the industry standard ($12) some passengers tip their waiter or room stewards an extra £10 or so on the last day of they feel they have had particularly good service, but there is absolutely no expectation on anyone to do this.

Dont forget to pack some Scottish Saltire flags to wave at the Great British Sailaway! ;)