Carry on luggage limit

redcruzer

Cruise staff? I don't think so.

I have never seen princess quote dimensional inches anywhere.

Do you have a reference?

The carry-on X Ray security scanner size on Princess Love Boats are the same size as those found in airports. If your carry on luggage can go through the airport carry on security scanner, your fine. Your carry on luggage, size wise, will easily go through the ship's carry on X Ray security scanner.

I have not taken larger luggage up the gangplank to see if they also fit, but you can give it a try. Note that ships personnel or security staff will not lift your luggage or bags up on the conveyer belt for you ( same is at airports).

Your non-carry on luggage won't be delivered to your stateroom by dockside porters, so who will?

Enjoy your cruise. And don't leave your luggage sitting behind on the pier. ;)

Edited by Kingofcool1947

To clarify:

Measure the total of the height, width, and depth of the bag. If a 55" carry on fits airline carry on standard, then you can hand carry it on the ship. It will go through the cruise ships carry on security scanner.

Luggage 62" or larger will go through a security separate scanner, stored in the ship's baggage hold, and the luggage will be delivered to your stateroom by cruise staff.

To clarify: HAVE YOU EVER WITNESSED THIS PERSONALLY?

To rephrase: if I find a cardboard box that's 3"x3"x48", it'll clearly make it into the scanner, but won't all fit into the scanner at the same time, and is under the 55" limit you keep quoting, will they let me carry it on? If I find another cardboard box that's 3"x3"x50", it'll clearly make it into the scanner, but won't all fit into the scanner at the same time, and is over the 55" limit, they're going to measure it, declare it oversize for carry-on, and send it elsewhere? I think the answer is yes, if I carried it into the cruise terminal and any two dimensions allow it to fit through the scanner, I get to carry it on. Do you have concrete examples where I'm wrong, based on "linear inches"?

To clarify: HAVE YOU EVER WITNESSED THIS PERSONALLY?

To rephrase: if I find a cardboard box that's 3"x3"x48", it'll clearly make it into the scanner, but won't all fit into the scanner at the same time, and is under the 55" limit you keep quoting, will they let me carry it on? If I find another cardboard box that's 3"x3"x50", it'll clearly make it into the scanner, but won't all fit into the scanner at the same time, and is over the 55" limit, they're going to measure it, declare it oversize for carry-on, and send it elsewhere? I think the answer is yes, if I carried it into the cruise terminal and any two dimensions allow it to fit through the scanner, I get to carry it on. Do you have concrete examples where I'm wrong, based on "linear inches"?

As you know, carry on luggage and bags goes through the scanner on a conveyer belt. It does not remain stationary in the scanner. It keeps moving through. So no problem if it your luggage and bags fit the physical opening of the scanner.

I cannot comment if you choose to drag your common 29" luggage up the ramp, and see if it will fit the scanner. I don't. As I mentioned in a previous post, security staff or crew will not lift your baggage on to the conveyer belt. I saw this old guy PAX ( 60's-70's?) try to lift a heavy metal steamer trunk with extreme effort and difficulty on to the X Ray security conveyor belt. He was not able to do so by himself, but a PAX behind him lifted the trunk on the conveyor belt.

Good luck, and enjoy your cruise.

We have boarded our own luggage many times, but we usually limit our luggage to two suitcases. The only problem is the elevators are always packed at boarding time. I suggest you go to the forward or aft elevators for a better chance of getting on with your luggage. Not a problem for us as we usually book aft cabins. We also have a wheelchair for our Mom, so the elevators are the problem

The carry-on X Ray security scanner size on Princess Love Boats are the same size as those found in airports. If your carry on luggage can go through the airport carry on security scanner, your fine. Your carry on luggage, size wise, will easily go through the ship's carry on X Ray security scanner.

speaking only about fort lauderdale, the scanners used there,

and the allowable size of carry on items is far, far, far larger

than any airline carry on.

I cannot comment if you choose to drag your common 29" luggage up the ramp, and see if it will fit the scanner. I don't. As I mentioned in a previous post, security staff or crew will not lift your baggage on to the conveyer belt. I saw this old guy PAX ( 60's-70's?) try to lift a heavy metal steamer trunk with extreme effort and difficulty on to the X Ray security conveyor belt.

My experiences have been far different than yours.

I was behind a 60-70 y.o. gent in Ft. Lauderdale. He had a luggage

cart loaded with soda, water and luggage, that he rolled up to the

beginning of the scanner.

This was a huge nuisance, as each piece had to be taken off the

cart and put into the scanner, creating quite a delay.

One of the security guards helped the guy put the things on the

belt -- this was great, or we all would have been stuck behind him

for even longer.

Edited by pablo222

Carry on? No size, weight, or number of carry on's limit as long as they fit through the X Ray scanner.

Checked luggage? No size, weight or number of bags limit as long as it fits through their X Ray scanner.

Comparing apples and oranges here.

The carryons are scanned in the terminal with an airport size type scanner.

The checked luggage is scanned with larger equipment that is not noamlly seen by passengers. Checked luggage can be larger than what the carryon luggage scanner can handle.

At embarkation ports the scanners on the ships are not used, so their size makes no difference for this discussion.

At embarkation ports the hand luggage is scanned inside the terminal by port security before you can even check in.

As you know, carry on luggage and bags goes through the scanner on a conveyer belt. It does not remain stationary in the scanner. It keeps moving through. So no problem if it your luggage and bags fit the physical opening of the scanner.

So why on earth do you keep harping about linear inches? It does not matter when cruising. There is no three-dimensional (volumetric) limit on baggage size on the ship.

If your carry-on is too big for the scanner, they'll inspect it manually. If your checked bag is too big for the scanner, they'll have a dog sniff it, or they'll call you to the naughty room so you can open it for them where they'll inspect it. If you have first-hand evidence that what I wrote in this paragraph is factually wrong, let's hear it. Otherwise, please stop spreading the FUD about linear inches.

Cruise staff? I don't think so.

I have never seen princess quote dimensional inches anywhere.

Do you have a reference?

From Carnival not Primcess: would Princess use a different standard?

Carry-On Luggage

Guests are encouraged to limit their luggage to two suitcases per guest.For those guests who wish to carry on luggage, it must fit through the security screening machine. When laying flat, it must not exceed 16 inches high x 24 inches wide (40.64cm x 60.96cm); the length of the bag is not a factor. Anything larger, must be checked-in with a curbside porter. We suggest that all luggage be unlocked and have a Carnival luggage tag attached listing the guest's name and stateroom number.

FWIW, I won't schlep a 29" piece of luggage up the gangplank. I let the dockside porter handle it for a few dollars, it's worth it to me. :)

Good luck. Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

So why on earth do you keep harping about linear inches? It does not matter when cruising. There is no three-dimensional (volumetric) limit on baggage size on the ship.

If your carry-on is too big for the scanner, they'll inspect it manually. If your checked bag is too big for the scanner, they'll have a dog sniff it, or they'll call you to the naughty room so you can open it for them where they'll inspect it. If you have first-hand evidence that what I wrote in this paragraph is factually wrong, let's hear it. Otherwise, please stop spreading the FUD about linear inches.

Someone asked how to measure airline carry on size.

From Delta Airlines:

CARRY-ON SIZE RESTRICTIONS

It won’t fit. Three words you don’t want to hear when trying to board. To avoid delays and possible checked bag fees, follow these size requirements:

Baggage may not exceed 45 linear inches (or 114 cm) in combined length, width and height, including any handles and wheels, with the exception of small musical instruments that fit in the overhead compartment space or under-seat space available at the time of boarding

Baggage must fit easily in the Carry-on Baggage Check (approximately 22" x 14" x 9" or 56 x 35 x 23 cm), which is located near the check-in counters

Good luck. Enjoy your Cruise

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Carry-On Luggage

Guests are encouraged to limit their luggage to two suitcases per guest.For those guests who wish to carry on luggage, it must fit through the security screening machine. When laying flat, it must not exceed 16 inches high x 24 inches wide (40.64cm x 60.96cm); the length of the bag is not a factor. Anything larger, must be checked-in with a curbside porter. We suggest that all luggage be unlocked and have a Carnival luggage tag attached listing the guest's name and stateroom number.

FWIW, I won't schlep a 29" piece of luggage up the gangplank. I let the dockside porter handle it for a few dollars, it's worth it to me. :)

Good luck. Enjoy your cruise.

I can say for sure that this holds true for the Florida terminals. Our cases are 18" wide & they fit through with a few inches to spare on both sides. I've never took notice about the height since our highest one is only 14" when on the belt but it went through without any problems.

Many times they look at people carrying bags on line & try to talk them into checking them but we just tell them that we've been thought the terminal many times & they say fine.

Carry-On Luggage

Guests are encouraged to limit their luggage to two suitcases per guest.For those guests who wish to carry on luggage, it must fit through the security screening machine. When laying flat, it must not exceed 16 inches high x 24 inches wide (40.64cm x 60.96cm); the length of the bag is not a factor.

What you quote does not result in dimensional inches.

"THE LENGTH OF THE BAG IS NOT A FACTOR"

Nor is it even from princess cruises.

Edited by pablo222

My experiences have been far different than yours.

I was behind a 60-70 y.o. gent in Ft. Lauderdale. He had a luggage

cart loaded with soda, water and luggage, that he rolled up to the

beginning of the scanner.

This was a huge nuisance, as each piece had to be taken off the

cart and put into the scanner, creating quite a delay.

One of the security guards helped the guy put the things on the

belt -- this was great, or we all would have been stuck behind him

for even longer.

They should not have helped him. If he could not get the stuff on the scanner in an expeditious manner, they should have kicked him out of line and made him wait until everyone else had boarded so he did not hold up the line. I get sort of sick and tired of people basically assuming that if they ignore rules, the rest of the world will help them around their self imposed problems. After all, he could have checked his luggage and he did not have to bring cases of soda and water.

DON

They should not have helped him. If he could not get the stuff on the scanner in an expeditious manner, they should have kicked him out of line and made him wait until everyone else had boarded so he did not hold up the line. I get sort of sick and tired of people basically assuming that if they ignore rules, the rest of the world will help them around their self imposed problems. After all, he could have checked his luggage and he did not have to bring cases of soda and water.

DON

Especially when they try to talk people from carrying their own luggage before you enter the terminal.

• 2 years later...
On 10/20/2015 at 12:13 PM, Colo Cruiser said:

We have carried ours on many times at many different ports, we have never had issues with the size of the xray, and we carry large 29" bags.

If there is an issue they will take it and check it.

Or really....29 goes through....great....Do you take it on to avoid the Porters shaking your down for money or just to avoid it getting lost?

On 10/20/2015 at 3:38 PM, IECalCruiser said:

Carry-on bags for airplanes are limited by the size of the carry-on bins on the planes, not the airport scanners. The scanners at almost every port are large enough to handle 28" or 29" bags or even larger. Even so, in Vancouver they used the airport sizing frame and if the bag was too large you were forced to go back to the curb and check the bag with the porters. The scanners could handle much larger bag but that was the rule at the port.

Perfect.  We bringing our medium bag so we be ok....I thought those scanners only took the 22 inch airplance carryons...I know they got a couple of inches either way.  We might bring our luggage on board.  Its a hassle but we dont have to deal with porters who will cut our tags unless we tip at least 5 dollars a bag (yes...I know that sounds crazy).  What we end up doing is going to lunch and then run to the room the first 2nd its open.  that way we put everthing away early and not worry like sometimes getting the luggage at 6pm.    Bad enough you have lost luggage due to non porter issues ....worse if you also have porter that would cut tags.  At Long Beach we always bring our luggage on board....if you seen the porters there...you would too.  

1 minute ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Yeah I want to unpack before 6pm.

Why does there have to be a reason?

You sound angry.

If on my last cruise a few days ago the porter try to shake us down in front of our family to get our luggage on board.  Basically, he said if you want your luggage on board you better pay up.  Wow...yeah...pretty pissed off.    

I though it was just me...or perhaps I am overstating what occurred.....until I hit this forum...and I am just shocked at what has occurred to other passengers.  I dont mind tipping but extortion is a different situation.  Its not the money...5 bucks is nothing...its the shakedown for the money by highly paid porters who are also paid from my port taxes.