Pay Extra for Santuary or Balcony?

gdoyle

There's no chair hogs on your own balcony. You can have your coffee on the balcony every morning, just call room service. You have more privacy on your own balcony. We would never pay to go sit somewhere on the ship other than our cabin.

The balcony is probably more worthwhile. IMHO the Sanctuary is VERY expensive for what it is. Just some fancy padded loungers, there's not even a pool or hot tub. Whereas you can use your balcony all day and night at your leisure in privacy and look at the stars at night while you're sailing.

For me, I avoid booking a balcony as I find the furniture very uncomfortable which makes the balcony almost useless. The chairs are like sitting on steel. They have no lumbar support or "give." I much prefer to pay a lot less for an OV and book the Sanctuary. The loungers are so comfortable and there are attendants to bring me drinks and food. Or ice towels or blankets as needed. Overall, much cheaper than booking a balcony.

Balcony would be a better value for us. sanctuary closes at 5 so that means can't relax there with our cocktail after a day in port. We get a more spacious feeling in the cabin when we can look through the glass balcony doors out to the horizon. Also love those peaceful moments standing at the railing while awaiting for your turn in the shower before dinner (my best dolphin siting ever doing that). Then there's getting up early and looking down at the pier as we dock or poking your head out the door to do a quick temperature-check before heading out for the day... We always bring binocs because you never know what you'll see.

Edited by LoriPhil

Most balconies are small and the furniture can be uncomfortable but for us the advantages are outstanding. In my opinion balconies give the stateroom a larger feel and you can step out and smell the sea breeze, listen to the ocean and have some great views (sunsets and sunrises come to mind). You can stand by the railing with a drink in hand and an arm around your significant other and just enjoy the moment.

My vote!! Balconies.

There's no chair hogs on your own balcony. You can have your coffee on the balcony every morning, just call room service. You have more privacy on your own balcony. We would never pay to go sit somewhere on the ship other than our cabin.
No chair hogs in the Sanctuary either. You have your assigned lounger.

We have done both insides and balconies. Isides are OK for colder climates when you can't go outside anyway (except when it's Alaska). We have become spoiled with balconies and enjoy the extra room and being outside. It helps to review the ship's itinerary and make sure you are on the side of the ship for seeing the port ( not usually the port side).

We usually book a balcony, but we decided to book an ocean view cabin and the Sanctuary on a Panama Canal cruise a couple of years ago. This was before the Sanctuary increase and it was only an additional $15/day so we saved a bit of money. This was on the Island before her latest drydock and we were able to book one of the four two person cabanas that had no extra charge. We had 7-8 sea days and we really used the Sanctuary on those days. The Island and I assume the Coral have access to a coffee brewer so no need to go to the Patisserie for coffee with the coffee card for fresh brewed coffee. They also brought us small pastries so breakfast was taken care of there. Afternoon Tea service there was also a delight. We throughly enjoyed the Sanctuary that time. However with the cost increase, I doubt we will ever book the Sanctuary again and I will also vote for a balcony over the Sanctuary.