Dentist on Board?

lacruiser

We've cruised many times, and frankly never had occasion to need a dentist while on board. However, we were in Cozumel for a week and I had a crown come off a front tooth.:eek: We immediately started computer research and were able to locate an excellent dentist with not too much trouble.

Anyway, it just occurred to me to wonder what I'd have done if this had happened during a cruise. I know there is always a physician on board -- does he/she do double duty? Or is there also a dentist along for the ride?

We've cruised many times, and frankly never had occasion to need a dentist while on board. However, we were in Cozumel for a week and I had a crown come off a front tooth.:eek: We immediately started computer research and were able to locate an excellent dentist with not too much trouble.

Anyway, it just occurred to me to wonder what I'd have done if this had happened during a cruise. I know there is always a physician on board -- does he/she do double duty? Or is there also a dentist along for the ride?

They will schedule you for a port dentist and give you a pain med if in pain just like the crew

I'm pretty sure there are no dentists aboard, however the doctor/medical staff most likely could have come up with a temporary solution for you.

My DH had a tooth begin to abscess once on Day 2 of a cruise, and while the medical team did not do any drilling, they confirmed his self diagnosis and gave him an antibiotic (which the dentist would have done anyway) to control the infection and reduce the pain. The intervention worked, the pain was relieved, and he felt much better for the remainder of our cruise until he could make it home to the dentist.

Judy

P.S. We now carry some amoxicillin in our travel med bag in case something like that happens again. You can buy it OTC in Mexico.;)

Typically cruise lines do not staff a dentist. If needed the cruise line will assist in making arrangements at the next port. However the cruise line will not delay the ship from leaving port at the scheduled time should your appointment not fit within that time frame.

Years ago I had cracked a tooth while on a HAL ship. There just happen to be a friend of the ship's doctor on board who was a dentist. He assessed it was not critical to make an appointment on shore. Rather he told me to chew some sugarless gum ( of course on the side not compromised by the cracked tooth) and than cover the cracked tooth so it did not cut the inside of my mouth and enjoy the rest of my cruise. Emailed home and went to my own dentist upon return. The gum did the trick !

P.S. We now carry some amoxicillin in our travel med bag in case something like that happens again. You can buy it OTC in Mexico.;)

PLEASE don't take antibiotics unless they are prescribed for your specific situation by a licensed health professional with prescription-writing authorization.

Imprudent and inappropriate use of antibiotics has created some amazingly resilient strains of bacteria. I have a patient who may lose an entire leg due to an infection that we just can't get killed off.

(And no, the patient is not a non-compliant diabetic -- the leg was shattered when another driver crossed the center line and hit their car... infection picked up as a result of that injury and surgeries, and we've been fighting it for almost a year now.)

Popping some amoxicillin every time you think you have an infection, with no regard to whether the issue is viral or bacterial or what type of bacteria may be involved, is setting everyone up for more problems down the road. You are contributing to people having limbs amputated that otherwise could have been saved, and in many cases these infections can result in death.

The cruise ship's medical center will ALWAYS have a wide variety of antibiotic medications, plus the lab equipment necessary to identify what type of bacteria may or may not be involved to have a better idea of what type of antibiotic is going to be most effective in killing it off.

We have a Dentist friend who used to occasionally work on cruise ships. The cruise line paid him to primarily deal with crew dental issues, but he would also handle passenger emergencies. But those days are long gone and these days we are not aware of any ship that carries a dentist on a normal basis. And cruise lines are not always very helpful if you have a dental issue. Last year, while on a 25 day Ruby Princess cruise, DW had a bridge fall out (fortunately she got it before swallowing). There also was an issue with the underlying tooth crumbling which meant there was no practical way to make a temporary repair onboard. Neither Guest Relations or the Medical Center were helpful and could not even recommend a dentist at the next port (which was Queensferry Scotland). So I got on the internet and found a dental office near the tender pier. We then used our phone to call and they agreed to see DW. The Dentist (a pretty young lady who looked like she was still in high school) did a great job and charged us $35 which she thought was excessive :). When we returned home our own dentist could not even get the bridge off so it has now been in place for over a year :). A similar repair here in the US would have easily been over $100.

Hank

I am going to guess, with no basis for fact that in this case, assuming you still had the crown, they might have a temp adhesive till help you till you got home. I imagine that happens a lot. I know on the crowns I have had done they fit me with a temp till mine is ready and that holds strong and yet is easily removable.

Since most of my cruise are the same time of the year reserved way ahead, I do time my checkups ahead of my cruise.

My crown fell off during our cruise - thank goodness it was only two days before we got off, I went to guest services and they said there was nothing they could do. I wrote an email to rccl when I got home and they said in the future they would try and get dentists on their ship and said sorry rccl couldn't help. Everytime I went to the medical center downstairs, nobody would answer, I just gave up :(

PLEASE don't take antibiotics unless they are prescribed for your specific situation by a licensed health professional with prescription-writing authorization.

Imprudent and inappropriate use of antibiotics has created some amazingly resilient strains of bacteria. I have a patient who may lose an entire leg due to an infection that we just can't get killed off.

(And no, the patient is not a non-compliant diabetic -- the leg was shattered when another driver crossed the center line and hit their car... infection picked up as a result of that injury and surgeries, and we've been fighting it for almost a year now.)

Popping some amoxicillin every time you think you have an infection, with no regard to whether the issue is viral or bacterial or what type of bacteria may be involved, is setting everyone up for more problems down the road. You are contributing to people having limbs amputated that otherwise could have been saved, and in many cases these infections can result in death.

The cruise ship's medical center will ALWAYS have a wide variety of antibiotic medications, plus the lab equipment necessary to identify what type of bacteria may or may not be involved to have a better idea of what type of antibiotic is going to be most effective in killing it off.

Thank you! It makes me cringe that people admit to having "Z packs" in their travel kit just to take on a whim. It makes me cringe even more that there are actually Drs that will write these scripts at will like they do :mad:

Antibiotics are NOT a med just to have laying around to take without a professional diagnosis.

My friend got a temporary tooth just before our B2B cruise, and his dentist gave him a tube of glue to keep the tooth in -- which my friend forgot to pack.

A few days into the cruise, the tooth popped out. We discovered that the ship's medical center had NOTHING in the way of dental supplies. (I think we were on Voyager.)

My friend was mortified to walk around with a fairly prominent gap in his teeth. I finally prevailed upon him to use my SuperGlue, although he said his dentist would probably kill him later.

He chose his food wisely and chewed with care, and that SuperGlue kept the tooth in for the remainder of our trip.

Lesson learned: don't expect any help with dental problems on a cruise ship.

Pharmacies sell two different little kits (look near the toothpaste) for emergency dental repairs. One is to temporarily replace a lost filling and the other is to re-glue a crown until you can get to a dentist. The kit for crowns is called something like Re-Cap-It. I've had them in my travel case for years and a friend did make good use of it once.

My friend was mortified to walk around with a fairly prominent gap in his teeth. I finally prevailed upon him to use my SuperGlue, although he said his dentist would probably kill him later.

I had a temp fall off over a holiday weekend, called the dentist and asked if there was anything I could do as I didn't want to ruin both of our holidays. He told me to super glue it.

You can buy it OTC in Mexico.;)

Actually, you can't buy antibiotics in Mexico any longer without a prescription. The rules were tightened a year or so ago preventing consumers from self medicating with antibiotics in an effort to reduce instances of MRSA/VRSA type infections. I admit on a recent visit to Cozumel, I bought a jug (not bottle) of amoxicillin for a few dollars, and still have it and self medicate on occasion. I know it is wrong but as a nurse, I also know the implications and take it appropriately.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were cruising two weeks ago, and one of our lovely table mates bit into a lamb chop and out came his front crown! The crown was cracked beyond repair, and he bravely went the rest of the cruise without a front tooth! His wife scheduled a dental appt for the day after he returned home, and she now informs me he had not one, but two crowns replaced! Expensive lamb chop!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

... in Cozumel for a week and I had a crown come off a front tooth.:eek: We immediately started computer research and were able to locate an excellent dentist with not too much trouble....

Glad to hear it. Do you mind if I ask what you were charged for a Mexican dentist? Sincerely just curious. :)

I hope there is a dermotologist onboard in case I need some skin tags removed or an opthamoligist in the event I need lasik. I'm a boy scout an and I need to be prepared.

Edited by sullyair
Terrible spelling in my scarcasm

Glad to hear it. Do you mind if I ask what you were charged for a Mexican dentist? Sincerely just curious. :)

My sister lost a crown on a front tooth about 8 years ago while on a cruise. The next port was Cozamel. The port agent took her to the dentist. Temporary crown put on and looked great. Cost =$60. Good thing because the same day she got an invitation to eat with the captain!

Edited by Lady Hudson

Pharmacies sell two different little kits (look near the toothpaste) for emergency dental repairs. One is to temporarily replace a lost filling and the other is to re-glue a crown until you can get to a dentist. The kit for crowns is called something like Re-Cap-It. I've had them in my travel case for years and a friend did make good use of it once.

I had no idea these existed. Good to know, since I got my first crwn not too long ago and it sometimes feels wobbly.

We always come in a day early for a cruise. While sitting in our hotel the night before, I was flossing my teeth. All of a sudden a crown popped off a tooth. I was able to call my dentist back home and ask him what I can do since we were getting on a ship in the morning. He said to try to find a Cvs or Walgreens. Buy some dental cement to hold it until I get back home. We found a cvs just up the street. Went and got the dental cement. Now I always make sure I have dental cement with me when we travel.

With a few thousand passengers on board a a cruise ship I bet there is often several of them every sailing that are dentists on board![emoji23]